Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #106
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That will be phase 3 of my proposal. Of course, phase 2 is confidential, and the closed open vote on that will begin as soon as we get this debt ceiling thig figured out... the stupidcommittee is working on it now.

BOb
I like your proposal heretofore but I disagree with all closed open voting. I propose that at least phase 1 and the added run-on faze 4 of your proposal be opening close voting instead. I propose to call my proposal "Stormy Lolita's Proposed Passage to the Indian Front".
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #107
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I like your proposal heretofore but I disagree with all closed open voting. I propose that at least phase 1 and the added run-on faze 4 of your proposal be opening close voting instead. I propose to call my proposal "Stormy Lolita's Proposed Passage to the Indian Front".
SLPPTHIF or SLOPPY has been accepted on the floor for comments.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #108
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I propose that James Joyce's Ulysses be the only book ever discussed within all book clubs. It has something for everyone. This proposal is called the sumtingforevyonevelvetpaperclubt
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I propose that James Joyce's Ulysses be the only book ever discussed within all book clubs. It has something for everyone. This proposal is called the sumtingforevyonevelvetpaperclubt
I propose that it never be read by anyone ever again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #110
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I propose that it never be read by anyone ever again.
Since Ulysses is on my reading list for the year, thanks for the sterling recommendation!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #111
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've tried reading Ulysses, but I just can't get into the proper frame of mind for it. Forty years ago, I knew where to buy acid.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've tried reading Ulysses, but I just can't get into the proper frame of mind for it. Forty years ago, I knew where to buy acid.
Life is too short for Ulysses.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #113
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I also tried reading Ulysses before, and it has the distinction of being the only book I've ever put down for being too perplexing (I made it about 50 pages in). And that led to the start of my TBR list, with Ulysses at the top. I consider it a challenge I have to dominate at some point. Me vs Ulysses, mano a mano. Ulysses may have won the initial battle, but I expect to eventually win the war!

So here I am years later, and since I made a 2012 TBR list, I couldn't resist putting Ulysses on there and finally taking another crack at it.

PS - Acid, huh? Explains a lot! (Just kidding! )
Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #114
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
-snip-

PS - Acid, huh? Explains a lot! (Just kidding! )

Yes I can see how LSD or some other hallucinogen would help in understanding Ulysses by Jame Joyce. Stay away from the alcohol or any other soporific though.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #115
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think Ulysses is quite readable and rewards the effort. Finnegan's Wake, on the other hand....

How would this be for a plan for 2012? Follow up The Iliad with The Odyssey and The Aeneid, and then wrap things up with Ulysses? Do one book every three months, so it's not too onerous.

This is about 95% tongue in cheek, but if there was a groundswell in favor, I'd be on board.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #116
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think Ulysses is quite readable and rewards the effort. Finnegan's Wake, on the other hand....

How would this be for a plan for 2012? Follow up The Iliad with The Odyssey and The Aeneid, and then wrap things up with Ulysses? Do one book every three months, so it's not too onerous.

This is about 95% tongue in cheek, but if there was a groundswell in favor, I'd be on board.
I'd agree to The Odyssey ...not to sure about the other two, though.

Oh, and I like your new avatar!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #117
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'd agree to The Odyssey ...not to sure about the other two, though.

Oh, and I like your new avatar!!
Thank you! I was fond of the old issy, but it was time to put her out to pasture. Your new avatar is lovely.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

That's a good way to get people to stop wanting to read.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #119
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Thank you! I was fond of the old issy, but it was time to put her out to pasture. Your new avatar is lovely.
Thank you!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #120
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

My avatar feels positively ancient compared to all these new-fangled ones popping up in the other most recent posts in this thread!

Quote:

issybird of the pensive avatar, I swear one of us must have unrealised ESP. I kid you not, I was thinking how nice it would be if a group of us tackled a famous difficult classic every so often together like we're doing with the Iliad, and for the last few days have been pondering suggesting that perhaps we could do it on a seasonal timeline at least for 2012 if there's interest, i.e. one every three months. I didn't have any particular books in mind, but I like your suggestions.

Anyway, you can take all that to say, of course I'm for it for 2012 if others are. And if they're not, well I'll be (hopefully) reading two of the four this year regardless.