Export clippings as HTML 9 42.86%
Copy clipping text to clipboard 7 33.33%
Sort clippings by location not date 14 66.67%
Other, please post 2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
what would you like to see in a clippings organizer application

Hi, I am in the processes of developing a desktop application that can organize and view kindle clippings. It will use the "My Clippings.txt" file to import the notes, highlights and bookmarks from your kindle.

What kind of features would people like to see?
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
-Put automatically together all the clippings from the same book, sorting them by groups according to type; that is to say: notes, highlight and then bookmarks.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 09-05-2011 at 08:48 PM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I already wrote my own script to edit/manipulate "My Clippings.txt". Since I'm a programmer, any time I want to manipulate data, I do it myself.

Since, if you sync your annotations, the notes, etc. display on the kindle.amazon.com web site, it is already readily accessible by many people.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
I NEED this app...to run on Mac. Please. :-)
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thank you everybody for your feedback. It's nice to see there is a group of people out there that would find this useful. At the moment the application is fairly complete as far as core functionality goes so now its just time to fix a few small bugs and add some useful features.

The application should be ready to download in about a week to a week and a half depending on what kind of problems that could occur in development.

The first version will be classified as a beta and as such may have bugs that have not been spotted during development so just be patient and let me know so I can fix them as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Export clippings as XML would be awesome!
This is all ready in the application and working, glad to see people would like this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
-Put automatically together all the clippings from the same book, sorting them by groups according to type; that is to say: notes, highlight and then bookmarks.
At current the application sorts all of the clippings into their respective books. I will look at adding in the grouping of notes, highlights and bookmarks and hopefully I can add it in before I release the first version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbw View Post
I NEED this app...to run on Mac. Please. :-)
The whole application is written in Java which is platform independent so I see no reason as to why it won't run on Mac, Linux or Windows. I even managed to get some of the code to run on the Kindle itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I already wrote my own script to edit/manipulate "My Clippings.txt". Since I'm a programmer, any time I want to manipulate data, I do it myself.

Since, if you sync your annotations, the notes, etc. display on the kindle.amazon.com web site, it is already readily accessible by many people.
It's nice to see that there are other programmers out there that have done something similar to this as it shows that there is a need for manipulating the clippings in this way. It's is possible to sync the clippings to Amazon but to my knowledge only clippings associated with a book downloaded from Amazon get synced to their web page. I started writing this application because I use my Kindle at university and have digital copies of my notes on my Kindle. Any notes I make on these documents would not be synced to Amazon. For this reason there is a need for an application like this and I hope that people will find the application useful. The source code for the library I wrote to parse the clippings is available in the developers section although there have been quite a few changes since I posted them. Updated versions will be updated after this application is released. I hope that you will download my application when it's ready and just take a look to see what it can do. I'm always open to suggestions/constructive criticism from fellow developers.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
wiccan2
Connoisseur

The application is coming along nicely and should be ready for a release quite soon, there are still some features to add in and some bugs to work out.

Here is a screen shot of the application as it stands now, what do you think of the interface/what would you like to see changed. I was trying to make it minimalistic so that it would be easier to use.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-Clippings Organizer.png
Views:	622
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	76261  
Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Have you all seen this:

http://klippingskollector.com/
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd like either XML or HTML. But, that's just me.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
wiccan2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
Have you all seen this:

http://klippingskollector.com/
I had not seen this application before, even though there is/are other programs doing the same/similar thing as what my application will be doing I see no point in stopping development. I will still be releasing the application and people here seem to be interested in it. After all "competition is the mother of innovation", hopefully I can give people something different that the competition can not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'd like either XML or HTML. But, that's just me.
XML is currently working and I will start work on HTML soon as it seems to be something people want from this application.

I am unsure at the moment whether I should focus on getting the application ready for an initial release sooner without all the features included or whether to spend more time developing the features and release later.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Thank you very much for the app. I'm looking forward to ..

I will be happy if I could have an index of the name of the books (with links) at the top of them.

Last edited by thomass; 09-10-2011 at 03:34 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
wiccan2
Connoisseur

Hi, The application has now been released and is available here

I would like to keep this thread active as a development thread for discussions about new features and bug fixes.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the app.

Just tried and see some problems.
Firstly, it has problems with non-english characters.(Ş,İ,ö,..)
Secondly, it couldn't import this file: My Clippings.txt.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
thearr
thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle3, iPhone4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Thanks for the app.

Just tried and see some problems.
Firstly, it has problems with non-english characters.(Ş,İ,ö,..)
Secondly, it couldn't import this file: Attachment 76734.
In addition to this nice app you may also try this one. It works with non-ASCI symbols and if you'd like to export notes in an xml-format file you may add a custom export pattern to do that.

Last edited by thearr; 09-21-2011 at 10:01 AM.
thearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearr View Post
In addition to this nice app you may also try this one. It work with non-ASCI symbols and if you'd like to export note in an xml-format file you may add custom export pattern to do that.
Thanks for the app. It is really useful and easy to use. Also it's highly customizable. (one can easily change input and output settings) Thanks again. (I think you should open a new thread for this app)

Last edited by thomass; 09-21-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
thearr
thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thearr once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle3, iPhone4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Thanks for the app. It is really useful and easy to use. Also it's highly customizable. (one can easily change input and output settings) Thanks again. (I think you should open a new thread for this app)
I used this thread to post news about the app, but now I do not have enough free time to develop it further.
thearr is offline   Reply With Quote