Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Book Designer trouble with footnotes / links

I'm converting a file with a lot of footnotes in Book Designer (a first for me). Book Designer seems to be only creating links for footnotes that are at the end of a paragraph. I peeked at the .LRS output in the TmpOut directory and it seems to be BD that's causing this error.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have a work-around?

Thanks.
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
New to me. I've made linked notes in the middle of sentences and paragraphs without any problem.

One suggestion: I always ensure that the item in the middle of the paragraph is called a note, and that the item at the end of a chapter/section/book is called a link.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The note - the place where you jump to - has to be a "paragraph" of its own. The link - the place where you jump from - can be arbitrary text in the middle of a paragraph, line, or even word.

Might you perhaps have got them the wrong way around?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Figured it out...

Thanks for the suggestions, I've finally resolved the issue.

Turns out...

That BD is very sensitive to the formatting of the notes- my middle of the paragraph notes happened to be defined with an
Code:
<a name
rather than an
Code:
<A name
- The case difference broke the lrs output. Happily, I was able to trace this down after many, many attempts.

Note to self: be very careful when cleaning up BD output!
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The note - the place where you jump to - has to be a "paragraph" of its own. The link - the place where you jump from - can be arbitrary text in the middle of a paragraph, line, or even word.

Might you perhaps have got them the wrong way around?
Hm, I'm not sure I'm following you... are you saying the note has to be a whole paragraph and not just a word or a character like the link? 'Cause to me it works if I put for instance [1] as the link in the text and [1] as the note at the beginning of the paragraph that I am using as a note.

Point being, I use only 3 characters as a note and another 3 for the link and it works without problems.

BTW, I learned about notes and links from your tutorial HarryT, so thank you for writing it!
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Hm, I'm not sure I'm following you... are you saying the note has to be a whole paragraph and not just a word or a character like the link? 'Cause to me it works if I put for instance [1] as the link in the text and [1] as the note at the beginning of the paragraph that I am using as a note.
No. What I mean is that, due to the way that LRF files "work", you can only jump to the start of a paragraph. Hence, if your note is not at the start of the paragraph, the link won't jump you to exactly the right place. I certainly don't mean that you have to have an entire paragraph as the note .
Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
the way that LRF files "work", you can only jump to the start of a paragraph. Hence, if your note is not at the start of the paragraph, the link won't jump you to exactly the right place.
Wow. I did not know that. Haven't had the misfortune of witnessing it first hand, but now I know nonetheless. You probably saved me some serious grief down the line...
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, its even worse, they can only jump to the beginning of TextBlocks where a TextBlock may contain multiple paragraphs and stretch over multiple pages.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Valloric

I actually noticed one more thing about links with LRF, though I'm not sure is that specific to kovid's viewer, or is the same kind of behavior present on the Reader (it still hasn't arrived).

It's like this: I have an e-book that I'm editing in BD and I put in links to footnotes that are at the end of the book. The links are in the form of [#], where # is the number of the footnote. I make both the number and the brackets around it a link, and it works great. But sometimes, when the [#] ends up at the very beginning of a line in the viewer, the link is broken. I'm guessing this is caused by the [#] actually ending up at the end of the previous line and wrapping to the beginning of the next one.

Very irritating since I have to check each and every link in the viewer to see if it's placed correctly, and if it's not, I have to move the [#] around.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That would be a bug in the libprs500 viewer. You can always check to see how a file will look on the reader by using the SONY Connect software.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That would be a bug in the libprs500 viewer. You can always check to see how a file will look on the reader by using the SONY Connect software.
Thanks for that information. The connect software I haven't installed because I have libprs installed and I read somewhere on this forum that the two programs don't like each other very much...

And fix that bug in the viewer
Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can install both, just dont use both to manage the books on your device.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:02 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's well worth installing the Connect software. It's a virtually perfect "emulation" of a Reader. Absolutely invaluable if you're creating books. Even though I no longer have a Sony, I still use Connect every time a create a Sony-format book to see how it'll look.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
Valloric

Quote:
It's well worth installing the Connect software. It's a virtually perfect "emulation" of a Reader. Absolutely invaluable if you're creating books. Even though I no longer have a Sony, I still use Connect every time a create a Sony-format book to see how it'll look.
Yes, it's very good. Kovid's viewer does not display headers or footers, and it's kinda hard to see the margins you set when you're creating a LRF with BD.

On the topic of headers... is there a way in BD to set a larger distance between the header and the rest of the text? The default is a bit too tight.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not that I know of. In fact, I've been doing away with the headers and footers on what I create for myself to read as they take more space and make the book take more pages and use more battery and I have to turn more pages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner