Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #91
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
The Ipad is a " Jack-of-All-Trades." Good at everything, but not necessarily the best at any one thing. - BUT - don't take that as a knock against it. That's the nice thing about tech in today's world. There is enough of it, that you can pick the device(s) that work for you within your budget.

Theoretically a device that does one thing and one thing only, should be the best at what it does, but maybe you need a device that does more so good is actually best for you.

If you are very mobile, the Ipad maybe be too big and you might find something smaller more practical. If you just want to read and don't need extras, something like a Kobo E-reader might be just fine. Or, maybe you will opt for something in the middle, or multiple devices. AND of course, for alot of us, price is always a big factor. So saying something is the top of anything, is really more a personal thing.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #92
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I grew up in the tropics, so maybe I'm different, but sitting in full sun and reading does not appeal to me at all. Even when I sit outside, I stay under shade, for my skin, as well as my eyes. If you're sitting on sand or something else reflective, be careful. Prolonged exposure can damage your eyes as well (cataracts and such). Would be good to have a dark Kindle skin or case, too, because the white case is hard on the eyes.

I enjoyed my Kindle for 15 months before I got an iPad, and I still have it, but you won't catch me in full sun with either.
I agree 100%. Even in non-tropical areas, it's a really bad idea to sit out in full sun.

I live in a subtropical area now and I never sit in full sun. When I do go out in the sun, I wear a large brim hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. I have no desire to have skin cancer or look like a piece of shoe leather by the time I'm 60.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #93
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonize View Post
Let's be brutally honest. Most people who have already purchased an iPad (please note I said most not all) have only done so as

1 - They believe the hype
2 - They think it makes them look cool
3 - They like eye candy over features
4 - They think it makes them superior to their friends
Sounds like you are an Apple hater.

Most people have bought the iPad because they feel it fits a need for them. Obviously, based on your statements you've completely closed your mind to that concept.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #94
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Sounds like you are an Apple hater.

Most people have bought the iPad because they feel it fits a need for them. Obviously, based on your statements you've completely closed your mind to that concept.
Nope I'm more than open to the concept of a touch screen tablet. So long as it lets me put my audio/video files on to it using the software of my choosing and it lets me listen to music whilst reading a book or surfing the web. Oh and supports Flash because, unless I'm mistaken, GameTrailers.com doesn't support <video>. Oh and hopefully Silverlight support since some of the sites I frequent use that instead of Flash. And it must let me install the software I want to use rather than having to pick from a limited amount of software that the tablet maker has allowed you to use and mostly for a price.

As to being an Apple hater again not really. I'm a hater of companies that use hype and gimmicks to sell overpriced mediocre products. I have yet to see any justification for the price difference between an Apple product and a similar product from a different company.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #95
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Nope I'm more than open to the concept of a touch screen tablet. So long as it lets me put my audio/video files on to it using the software of my choosing and it lets me listen to music whilst reading a book or surfing the web. Oh and supports Flash because, unless I'm mistaken, GameTrailers.com doesn't support <video>. Oh and hopefully Silverlight support since some of the sites I frequent use that instead of Flash. And it must let me install the software I want to use rather than having to pick from a limited amount of software that the tablet maker has allowed you to use and mostly for a price.

As to being an Apple hater again not really. I'm a hater of companies that use hype and gimmicks to sell overpriced mediocre products. I have yet to see any justification for the price difference between an Apple product and a similar product from a different company.
iPad is my first Apple computer and I've been surprised by the anti-Apple, anti-iPad fervor. I'm loving my iPad, because it gives me my three priorities in one package, especially when I travel. I wanted e-books, e-mail and Internet, and I love that I can sign up for 3G only when I want. The latter means I can have Internet when I visit my parents, who aren't online at all.

Would I have liked to pay less? Sure, but I don't see a good alternative tablet at this point. Do I care that it's Apple? Only because they made it easy for me to use without tinkering, because I'm not technical. If another company can serve me for less, heck, great. (I'm Chinese; I love to save!) I'm excited that iPad is driving tablet development and hope there will be many more options. I read the Android tablet thread, and I don't want to struggle with most of what techies want to do, though.

I'm not sure how much marketing Apple has done with iPad. I get much less exposure than most people, because I have not watched television in years. I read about iPad on some blog.

For my needs, Apple has delivered as promised. I don't feel scammed. I'm not into expensive cars or other status items. I'm someone who pays 12 bucks for a haircut, lol. But I was happy to pay for a 3G 64gb iPad. If my parents' eyes and English were good enough, I'd buy them one, too, and finally get them on the Internet.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-23-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #96
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Hmm I don't think you actually understand...
You apparently think a lot of things, but not always correctly in this thread. Apologies for confusing you.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #97
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I personally don't see how it is that useful.
Sounds like it isn't a product for you, which is totally fine.

But I find your "brutally honest" generalizations about those who do find it useful quite offensive, fyi.

And spare me the "please note I said most not all" bullshit.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #98
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
You apparently think a lot of things, but not always correctly in this thread. Apologies for confusing you.
Wow talk about being unable to admit you made a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Sounds like it isn't a product for you, which is totally fine.

But I find your "brutally honest" generalizations about those who do find it useful quite offensive, fyi.

And spare me the "please note I said most not all" bullshit.
If it offended you maybe you should ask yourself why.

I have admitted I don't like the iPad. Whilst the tablet concept is brilliant (and the iPad was far from the first) the iPad is restrictive in that it cannot multitask, it doesn't support Flash, you have to use iTunes to sync your files on there (although I assume you can also download them via the internet?) and the only software you can put on there is software Apple has approved. Fine it works for some people but it's already been proven that Apple is making around $400 profit on each one they sell. If it was made by Microsoft the world would be up in arms about it with antitrust cases flying in from all corners.

As an ebook reader the common consensus (from what I have read in various reviews) is that the iPad is just to heavy for long term reading. Now the argument is that it's not just an ebook reader and yes it's good for surfing the net (except sites that require Flash or Silverlight anyway). Checking emails, yup it can do that but then so can pretty much every mobile phone made these days at a fraction of the cost. Listen to music? Yup it can do that, again like most mobile phones, so long as you use iTunes to put the music on there. Play videos? Yup and has pretty good format support. Now can you listen to music whilst reading? Nope because it doesn't support multitasking (although I'm sure it will be enabled in a firmware update just like the iPhone was).

So what it all comes down to is the iPad, like the other iProducts, would be good if they were half the price and half as hyped but at the price range Apple is asking they are just mediocre.

The proceeding paragraph is my opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of others. What is the world coming to when you have to put disclaimers in everything?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #99
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Wow talk about being unable to admit you made a mistake.
If it offended you maybe you should ask yourself why.
I don't have to "ask myself why". It offended me because you made insulting generalizations about people you know nothing about.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #100
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Let's be brutally honest. Most people who have already purchased an iPad (please note I said most not all) have only done so as

1 - They believe the hype
2 - They think it makes them look cool
3 - They like eye candy over features
4 - They think it makes them superior to their friends
Yep! That's why I want one! Especially if it makes me feel superior! How cool is that?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #101
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I love my new Kindle. I'd love an iPad (and I'd love a Nook, too). I think it'll be a while before the market sorts out on one device. I hope it'll be a LONG while. Monopoly is not what our industry needs.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #102
tmarks11
tmarks11 began at the beginning.

Device: Everun
I have never owned Apple before and have tended to side with those who mock the fanboys. My last ereader was my HTC TP2, an Everun UMPC before that.

The more I read about the iPad, the more I thought it would be useful. Had it two weeks and think it is great. Makes an excellent ereader (no it is not too heavy, yes I can read it outside).

My experience with it has made me decide to deep six WM6.5 and get an ipod touch. But no apple laptops or desktops.

1 - They believe the hype. Not really
2 - They think it makes them look cool I could care less what people think
3 - They like eye candy over features I definitely prefer the kindle app over ibook. Simulated pages? Give me a break. I would prefer page transitions to be instantaneous.
4 - They think it makes them superior to their friends I haven't even shown it to any of my friends. See my response to #2.

Seriously, your dismissive statement makes you as bad as a fanboy.

Anything that promotes electronic books should be welcomed with open arms. Now millions of people who never would have though about a Kindle are trying it out and buying books. More volume of ebooks = fewer print books = more competition between publishers = reasonable prices. You are jumping on the wrong bandwagon.

Last edited by tmarks11; 05-23-2010 at 04:49 PM.
tmarks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #103
carbonize
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yep! That's why I want one! Especially if it makes me feel superior! How cool is that?
You can imagine the advert. Want to feel superior to your mates? There's an app for that.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #104
carbonize
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
I have never owned Apple before and have tended to side with those who mock the fanboys. My last ereaeder was my HTC TP2, a Everun UMPC before that.

The more I read about the iPad, the more I thought it would be useful. Had it too weeks and think it is great. Makes an excellent ereader (no it is not too heavy, yes I can read it outside).

My experience with it has made me decide to deep six WM6.5 and get an ipod touch. But no apple laptops or desktops.

1 - They believe the hype. Not really
2 - They think it makes them look cool I could care less what people think
3 - They like eye candy over features I definitely prefer the kindle app over ibook. Simulated pages? Give me a break. I would prefer page transitions to be instantaneous.
4 - They think it makes them superior to their friends I haven't even shown it to any of my friends. See my response to #2.

Seriously, your dismissive statement makes you as bad as a fanboy.

Anything that promotes electronic books should be welcomed with open arms. Now millions of people who never would have though about a Kindle are trying it out and buying books. More volume of ebooks = fewer print books = more competition betwene publishers = reasonable prices. You are jumping on the wrong bandwagon.
Curious how you go from Windows Mobile to an iPod touch :-/

Anyways I suppose points 1 and 2 really refer to those people who need to buy the device as soon as it comes out rather than the later adopters.

Point 3 I assume you are agreeing with me there? This is eInk's major downfall at present that will hopefully be rectified very soon. But given that one of the main gripes about ebook readers is the page transition time you'd think Apple would of made it instantaneous as that would be a selling point.

Point 4 - Do you have any friends to show it to?

Just kidding.

As to promoting electronic books I have done a couple of entries in my blog regarding them. One was a rant about the ridiculous prices publishers expect us to pay, sometimes even more for the ebook than the hard back version. My other post was a a collection of links to free ebook sites. Fiction ebooks that is.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #105
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, I'm not big on the iPad for a host of reasons, but that's just typical anti-Apple BS that adds nothing to the discussion.

If you can't talk about a device without bashing people who own it, you add nothing to the thread. No reason to make a bunch of stereotypes etc., just talk about the pros and cons of the device itself without insulting people who own it.

Anyway, ignore user list +1.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad