Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
cspittell
cspittell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite w/ 3G firmware version question

Hoping someone can help me out. Long story here (sorry).

My husband had a PW with 3G that he left on a plane. It was a couple of years old. I ordered him a new one and when we set it up, it had a different "look" to it. I have a Wi-Fi only PW and the FW version is 5.9.5.1. The new one has version 5.6.5!

I called Amazon customer support and they maintain that's the correct version for the 3G PW. I've done some research since and that FW version was released in mid 2015.

Can anyone a newish 3G Paperwhite tell me what FW version they have?

The user interface is what I call the "old" one. Without the three dot menu (has the three lines), the old House icon and, the light bulb icon. To access book info you press down on the title.

He says the user interface on the PW he lost was exactly the same as mine. I have the newer stylized icons such as the gear icon to change screen brightness, and set airplane mode. Book titles show percentage read as a number.

Trying to figure things out a bit before I contact Amazon support again.
cspittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Paperwhite w/3g firmware version question

I have a Paperwhite w/3g (7th gen).
It has the current firmware of v5.9.6.1 :

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...te_5.9.6.1.bin

According to Amazon's support page the Paperwhite w/3g 6th gen also has a
link to software for 5.9.6.1.
Not sure which version paperwhite you have but the 2 most recent have the current version.
Hope this helps.
You can download the bin file to a pc and transfer it to the paperwhite.
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspittell View Post
Hoping someone can help me out. Long story here (sorry).

My husband had a PW with 3G that he left on a plane. It was a couple of years old. I ordered him a new one and when we set it up, it had a different "look" to it. I have a Wi-Fi only PW and the FW version is 5.9.5.1. The new one has version 5.6.5!

I called Amazon customer support and they maintain that's the correct version for the 3G PW. I've done some research since and that FW version was released in mid 2015.

Can anyone a newish 3G Paperwhite tell me what FW version they have?

The user interface is what I call the "old" one. Without the three dot menu (has the three lines), the old House icon and, the light bulb icon. To access book info you press down on the title.

He says the user interface on the PW he lost was exactly the same as mine. I have the newer stylized icons such as the gear icon to change screen brightness, and set airplane mode. Book titles show percentage read as a number.

Trying to figure things out a bit before I contact Amazon support again.
Can you check the serial number on the Paperwhite 3G you recently bought against this list?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

What model name did the list show?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
given that this kindle has 5.6.5, and the latest for the fifth generation paperwhite is 5.6.1.1 according to this amazon help page: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/cus...deId=201064850 , it's either a 6th gen paperwhite or 7th gen paperwhite (I have a feeling it's the 7th gen, but that's just suspicion) it's not running the latest firmware since the 6th and 7th gen are on 5.9.6.1.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
given that this kindle has 5.6.5, and the latest for the fifth generation paperwhite is 5.6.1.1 according to this amazon help page: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/cus...deId=201064850 , it's either a 6th gen paperwhite or 7th gen paperwhite (I have a feeling it's the 7th gen, but that's just suspicion) it's not running the latest firmware since the 6th and 7th gen are on 5.9.6.1.
Hmm, from memory, my PW3 WiFi-only shipped with 5.6.5.

Assuming this was purchased directly from Amazon, wow, they still have stock of PW3-3G from 2015?

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-15-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
cspittell

The Model number puts it as a PW 3 (US only)released in 2015.

I purchased it directly from Amazon so I can't imagine it's actually been hanging around for that long but 3G versions probably don't sell all that well and it did have the 2015 firmware installed so I guess it's possible. I called Amazon told the CSR that I had gotten a new PW 3G with really old firmware. She agreed it was old and talked me through manually installing the new FW release (5.9.6.1?). Updated without an issue and appears to be fine.

Guess it depends a lot on the CSR you get.

Thanks to everyone who responded - appreciate the help.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

It's good you got it sorted. Yeah, CSR tend to be hit or miss.

Last PW3 Wi-Fi I purchased from Amazon came with 5.8.11 so I do expect what you have it older stock. More than likely, Amazon manufactured a whole bunch of the 3G versions in order to hit a certain bulk discount and they haven't managed to deplete stock yet. Mind, at $50-70 more, quite understandable why more folks opt for Wi-Fi only.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
cspittell

My husband travels a lot and always seems to find himself without a book where there is no Wi-Fi.

Having 3G is definitely worth the extra $$$ to him. I don't bother because I keep so many books on my Kindle that I always have something to read. Between what I buy, what my daughter buys and what I get for free my Kindle is full.