Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #136
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronchav View Post
I just wanted to update this USB issue now that I've had a few days to play with it. I noticed that on the eject menu for windows, there are two items: Eject BNRV520, then under that Eject USB Drive (F). File explorer is listing the device as USB Drive (F).

If I eject BNRV520, I get the problem we've mentioned -- the usb screen does not go away and the device is not removed reliably. But if I eject USB Drive (F), everything is fine and the usb connection screen goes away as it should.
Yes I have verified this is the case, in Windows at least. Actually, from the System Tray (on the bottom left) I only have one option, as the lower item, the USB Drive, is grayed out and not selectable. But from within Windows Explorer, I see two enumerations of the drive, one under My Computer, and one as an independent drive. They both have Eject menu items, If I use the Eject function from the independent drive, the regular screen on the Nook comes back quickly.

But that reinforces my belief that their is some "kluge" in how they removed the partitioning. With my experience with drive partitions, I was surprised to see they could address this with a software update. And my nook drive has gotten corrupted twice already. (Fixable by a factory reset.) This happened for the second time last night after the battery totally discharged itself quite rapidly. I am left to think that there is some duct tape workaround where they are somehow sharing an otherwise still hidden partition.

A more thorough expert on partitioning and file access can weigh in, but I am starting to appreciate the delay B&N is having on releasing this update publicly and that they are actually doing real testing.

I almost wish I had the last official update (4.8.2 ?)to load again, until they work out the kinks. Anybody here manage to snag it?

Last edited by raindog89; 12-29-2017 at 11:15 AM.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #137
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
> a list of books on board by going into the library .... it's only 4 books per page with just
> the title and author and a very small cover as an icon. But it's something....

That's exactly what I'm complaining about. Waste of screen space. Bother, said Pooh.

Peculiar how the "newest" list from the home page often fails to list books in the Library and vice versa. Is there no "update" button anywhere for the database?

I dunno. I still like the orange/amber evening light. I wish I could get orange text on black background, though.

BN should buy and study the old MobiReader app for the Palm OS PDAs. My Clie TH55 remains far more pleasant to use. I wish that OS were available on a Nook-sized screen.

Is there any way to contact the Nook programming folks? Or do we know they read here?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #138
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Yeah, the home page view is pretty mediocre. Part of me says it's not a big deal, since I only read one book at a time, but then I look at my Kobo's home page, which recommends books I own but haven't read yet, and realize it could be so much better.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #139
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronchav View Post
I just wanted to update this USB issue now that I've had a few days to play with it. I noticed that on the eject menu for windows, there are two items: Eject BNRV520, then under that Eject USB Drive (F). File explorer is listing the device as USB Drive (F).

If I eject BNRV520, I get the problem we've mentioned -- the usb screen does not go away and the device is not removed reliably. But if I eject USB Drive (F), everything is fine and the usb connection screen goes away as it should.
I've only ejected using Calibre and (so far) have had no issues with ejecting the Nook.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #140
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
Yeah, the home page view is pretty mediocre. Part of me says it's not a big deal, since I only read one book at a time, but then I look at my Kobo's home page, which recommends books I own but haven't read yet, and realize it could be so much better.
Yeah, Nook's software could really use some TLC. My favorite feature (the little 'back to your book' button on the top left) was replaced by the far less useful profile button. Then there's all sorts of little niggles I'd like to see changed.

One feature I do like (not sure how new this is, since I haven't used a Nook in a while) is if you sort your library by author, it shows a stack of books for authors with multiple titles in your library.
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #141
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The Back to Your Book button is now at the bottom of the screen in the center.

There's a setting to turn off organizing an author's book by series, which may be what you're referring to when listing by author. I found the listings confusing although I didn't look into why as deeply as you did. I turned that off and it all got kind of sensible.

I like a lot about this new Nook. It has it's problems but it has a lot of promise. As soon as they fix the grayed out dictionary text I'll be using it a lot. As it is I'm using it more than a little bit.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:51 AM   #142
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The Back to Your Book button is now at the bottom of the screen in the center.
I understand that. But you only see that bar when you are on the home screen. So if you are in settings, the store or your library, you have to go home, then open your book.

In the older Nook software, that button was always there, in the upper left corner, no matter what screen you were currently on. I miss that. It has now been replaced by Profile, which seems like a worthless switch to me.

Quote:
There's a setting to turn off organizing an author's book by series, which may be what you're referring to when listing by author. I found the listings confusing although I didn't look into why as deeply as you did. I turned that off and it all got kind of sensible.
There's two options.

There is: Enable Series Stacking

There is also: Enable Author Stacking

So even though Tom Robbins hasn't written a series, when I sort my library by author, there's a single Tom Robbins entry and it is a stack. I like that. (I also like that it can be turned off, since it's likely not to everyone's taste).
Old 12-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #143
aronchav
aronchav began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
But that reinforces my belief that their is some "kluge" in how they removed the partitioning. With my experience with drive partitions, I was surprised to see they could address this with a software update. And my nook drive has gotten corrupted twice already. (Fixable by a factory reset.) This happened for the second time last night after the battery totally discharged itself quite rapidly. I am left to think that there is some duct tape workaround where they are somehow sharing an otherwise still hidden partition.

A more thorough expert on partitioning and file access can weigh in, but I am starting to appreciate the delay B&N is having on releasing this update publicly and that they are actually doing real testing.
I haven't rooted the GL3, but I have installed launchers on it and file explorers are definitely still seeing (or not seeing, as the case may be) two storage locations.

The basic file explorer built in to RelaunchX was unable to see anything I put on the GL3. It saw the top level system files fine, and it saw the dedicated Nook partition fine. But nothing I put on it with a USB cable was visible.

Then I installed Nova launcher with Astro file explorer and FX file explorer. Both explorers were able to see my sideloaded apks and files, but they are in a completely separate storage location from the Nook partition. I think the explorers are reading the storage as a "main storage" and an external SD card.
aronchav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #144
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
aronchav, FWIW relaunch on the nook st only ever showed the sd card files. It never showed files in internal nook storage.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #145
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Hello Folks,

I've been having better luck side loading to my NOOK Glowlight 3. When I was having trouble cleanly ejecting the NOOK I was right clicking on the small icon in the notification area (Windows 8.1 - bottom right in the task bar). I switched to ejecting by right clicking on the NOOK drive's icon inside File Explorer and haven't had any trouble since.

Is it possible that the NOOK reacts differently depending on how it is ejected? Or have I just been lucky of late?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #146
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Hello Folks,

I've been having better luck side loading to my NOOK Glowlight 3. When I was having trouble cleanly ejecting the NOOK I was right clicking on the small icon in the notification area (Windows 8.1 - bottom right in the task bar). I switched to ejecting by right clicking on the NOOK drive's icon inside File Explorer and haven't had any trouble since.

Is it possible that the NOOK reacts differently depending on how it is ejected? Or have I just been lucky of late?
I'm going with luck. I would think Windows ejects the same whether you use the notification area or the drive.

Do you use Calibre? I always eject from there and haven't had issues ejecting the Glowlight 3.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #147
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Do you use Calibre? I always eject from there and haven't had issues ejecting the Glowlight 3.
Same here. No issues. (I use a Mac, though.)
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #148
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm going with luck. I would think Windows ejects the same whether you use the notification area or the drive.

No, I haven't been using Calibre.

Logically, it would seem there should be no difference between the two methods. If there were, then perhaps B&N could fix it.

I haven't noticed any (non-beta) software updates. Anyone else get one?
Old 01-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #149
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I plan to install the partitioning FW soon. Apart from the eject issue, are there any disadvantages?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #150
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I plan to install the partitioning FW soon. Apart from the eject issue, are there any disadvantages?
I was having trouble ejecting cleanly, and I never did install the partition-removing beta software.