Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The command are:

$ chmod +x Sigil-0.1.6-Linux-x86-Setup.bin
$ sudo ./Sigil-0.1.6-Linux-x86-Setup.bin
Actually that would be chmod 755, right? And then

mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Actually that would be chmod 755, right? And then

+x would also work fine. Do man on chmod for more details.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #18
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Well, there is not much more to say, when I try to launch Sigil from the shortcut it won't run, and when I launch it from a command window it prints the error I mentioned in my previous comment.

Does anybody else experience issues on Linux?
Same for me. Just deleted /opt/sigil (with v.0.1.5) and then freshly installed Sigil from the .bin. Shortcut will not launch Sigil, nor will Verve command bar.

Launching from command line in a terminal gives:

Code:
/opt/sigil/sigil: symbol lookup error: /opt/sigil/sigil: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach3Ev
Opening a standard Thunar file manager window and double-clicking the sigil file in /opt/sigil, however, does launch the app.

Xubuntu 9.04 64-bit, 2.6.28-17-generic kernel.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
Same for me. Just deleted /opt/sigil (with v.0.1.5) and then freshly installed Sigil from the .bin. Shortcut will not launch Sigil, nor will Verve command bar.

Launching from command line in a terminal gives:

Code:
/opt/sigil/sigil: symbol lookup error: /opt/sigil/sigil: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData7detach3Ev
Opening a standard Thunar file manager window and double-clicking the sigil file in /opt/sigil, however, does launch the app.

Xubuntu 9.04 64-bit, 2.6.28-17-generic kernel.

m a r
Hm... so launching from the shortcut doesn't work, but launching directly does? And the error sounds like Sigil is trying to load Qt 4.5... which shouldn't happen.

And you had no problems running Sigil 0.1.5?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #20
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I may have figured this out. I'll upload new Linux installers after I debug everything. I'll post here when it's done.

EDIT: Windows and Mac users are naturally unaffected by this issue.

Last edited by Valloric; 12-07-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #21
Valloric

Ok, new Linux installer are up now. These should fix the problem. Please report your experiences in this thread.

BTW after some direct support from the creator of InstallJammer, I've managed to get LZMA compression going and the setup files are now half of what they were.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Ok, new Linux installer are up now. These should fix the problem. Please report your experiences in this thread.

BTW after some direct support from the creator of InstallJammer, I've managed to get LZMA compression going and the setup files are now half of what they were.
Works beautifully! Thanks for the quick fix!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #23
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Some difficulties

Hooray! Page Up/Downmkakes editing so much easier. Only CTL + Up Arrow/Down Arrow could improve things.

V1.6 is very slow, but I'm sure this will improve. The system starts at text size 130% and FInd/Replace works but seems to assume a much larger screen. Things work great at 100%. Would you ever consider Font Selection and sizing?

I have a problem which may be caused by my machine. When moving focus from the code editor back to the text editor, the text editor window immediatly moves to the start of the file, flickers while looking for the correct point and then stops at the start of the file. Again, sometimes SIGIL will crash and windows reports a shut down. This has been true for all versions of SIGIL and occurs on all files.

I have begun to have the same failure to return properly with BD and this began after installing an earlier version of SIGIL. I cannot demonstrate this relationship.

It may be a problem with the ancillary tools loaded by SIGIL being incorrect or something I have installed causing interference. Perhaps someone can guide me in the right direction. Is this possibly a registry problem?

I have an older HP Presario Lap Top running Win XP Home Edition with SP 3. I don't have another machine to try although I am looking. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Last edited by crutledge; 12-08-2009 at 07:52 AM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #24
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Hooray! Page Up/Downmkakes editing so much easier. Only CTL + Up Arrow/Down Arrow could improve things.
I wanted to implement that along with PgUp/PgDn, but I forgot. Oh well, it'll be in the next release.

Quote:
The system starts at text size 130% and FInd/Replace works but seems to assume a much larger screen. Things work great at 100%.
I've noticed this too. Webkit seems to return the from element positions when there is zoom applied. I guess I'll have to work around that.

Quote:
Would you ever consider Font Selection and sizing?
I plan on working on font embedding after v0.2.0. It will take some time to do, since it will require delving into Webkit's core and finding the location of the font variants bug (mentioned in the first post).

Quote:
I have a problem which may be caused by my machine. When moving focus from the code editor back to the text editor, the text editor window immediatly moves to the start of the file, flickers while looking for the correct point and then stops at the start of the file. Again, sometimes SIGIL will crash and windows reports a shut down. This has been true for all versions of SIGIL and occurs on all files.
This "flickering" and failure to find the sync position... try to make a repeatable test case for this. Read the new ReportingIssues wiki page for pointers.

Quote:
I have begun to have the same failure to return properly with BD and this began after installing an earlier version of SIGIL. I cannot demonstrate this relationship.
Merely a coincidence. There is no relationship between the two since they don't share anything.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #25
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
I noticed two things on v0.1.6. FYI this only applies to my setup so not making it a general statement.

1. v0.1.6 on mac runs faster than v0.1.5 . delete/backspace works faster
2. v0.1.6 on windows (I am using VMWare fusion 3 on mac) runs slower than v0.1.5 when doing a backspace / delete.

I am using Unibody MBP running Snow Leopard. I am running windows xp using VMWare fusion 3 on my MBP.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #26
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
I noticed two things on v0.1.6. FYI this only applies to my setup so not making it a general statement.

1. v0.1.6 on mac runs faster than v0.1.5 . delete/backspace works faster
2. v0.1.6 on windows (I am using VMWare fusion 3 on mac) runs slower than v0.1.5 when doing a backspace / delete.

I am using Unibody MBP running Snow Leopard. I am running windows xp using VMWare fusion 3 on my MBP.
Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

Now I don't know what the Nokia guys did to speed up their Webkit integration on Mac or slow it down on Windows. From what I can tell from their comments on pertinent bug reports on their trackers, neither do they.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #27
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

I loaded an epub file and ran into the following when comparing the original xhtml to that created by Sigil (latest version 0.1.6)

Is this something that can be fixed in Sigil or is this a bug in Tidy?

The original xhtml looked like ...

<h2><span class="bold"><span>C<span class="small"><span>HAPTER</span></span> 1</span></span></h2>

but once imported, Sigil/Tidy removed the <span> tags that do not invoke a specific css item and somehow it ends up adding in a space after the C

so it becomes

<h2><span class="bold">C <span class="small">HAPTER</span> 1</span></h2>

The problem is the first one looks like:

CHAPTER (with HAPTER - in small caps

and the Sigil makes it look like the following:

C HAPTER (with HAPTER - in small caps)

Is this something that Tidy is doing or should I file a bug report?

Thanks,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #28
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Is this something that Tidy is doing or should I file a bug report?
This is pure Tidy stupidity. It's already filed on the tracker.

I'll take a look at this sometime after 0.2.0. The thing is, bugfixing Tidy is severely demoralizing, and I don't currently have the mental stamina to do it. Look at its code and you'll understand.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Tidy - are you sure?

Hi,

Just as a test. I passed the xhtml file in question through tidy itself (an old version from 2006 and a new version from Sep 2009 checkout) and it did *not* add the space after the C even with the dreaded -clean switch added.

It was fine after being munched on by Tidy doing its worse.

Is there someplace in the sigil source that shows what options you are using for tidy? Perhaps one of those options is the culprit.

Thanks,

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #30
Valloric

Quote:
Just as a test. I passed the xhtml file in question through tidy itself (an old version from 2006 and a new version from Sep 2009 checkout) and it did *not* add the space after the C even with the dreaded -clean switch added.

It was fine after being munched on by Tidy doing its worse.
Well nothing in Sigil rewrites the HTML [in such a way, ed.] so it must be Tidy. It may not be the "-clean" switch, but it's something.

Quote:
Is there someplace in the sigil source that shows what options you are using for tidy? Perhaps one of those options is the culprit.
Look here.

Feel free to post anything you find on the original issue report.

Last edited by Valloric; 12-12-2009 at 05:38 PM.