Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-19-2018, 01:10 AM   #1
bakaxcb
bakaxcb began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Searching for a device for note taking

I am searching for a device which I can use to easily take notes during lectures. So the most important thing is the software and this is why I can't use my jailbroken PW3 for it (cause I haven't found any good software for that purpose for that device; beside that even chess lags on it).

Currently I use a graphic tablet to take notes and I use a notebook with installed OneNote. But I would rather use just one (preferable e-Ink) device without the need to use a second device.
So I need a device that has internal storage or (better) a (micro)SD card slot so that notes can be saved. The device doesn't really need much beside that, but it need the ability to display notes that were saved before (so it can't be a boogie board since they can't display notes).
The ability to display different kind of grays, multitouch (for easier scrolling; I have a graphic tablet where I can write with a pen and use my hand for gestures/scrolling), backlight and a option for syncing saved notes would be nice though.
The best thing I found so far is that sharp memo pad thing, but they are 130$ (would prefer to spend less but since there aren't much devices for that purpose you may suggest devices more expensive if they have _really_ good features) and I don't know wether I could feel comfortable enough with a japanese user interface.

Oh, also please don't suggest sync pens that write on normal paper.

Thanks for your effort.

Last edited by bakaxcb; 06-19-2018 at 01:22 AM.
bakaxcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
I'm not familiar with e-ink devices in the sub-$200 range, but I think the reMarkable tablet, an e-ink device, may be what you're looking for. It's specifically geared toward notetaking, with ebook reading a secondary consideration. It is expensive but does the one thing it's meant to do well.

If you don't care about e-ink specifically, I think an older Samsung tablet with the s-pen may do the job (and will be cheaper).
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
This isn't what you requested but i believe the best way to take notes is a small laptop , specifically a netbook: lightweight and has a great battery life (10h) .You can also buy a tablet with its pen (like Samsung tab S3 ) and keyboard.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i also had used the sharp memo pad. but i lost it somehow. but instead of getting a dedicated note taking device, i settled on the ipad (now compatible with the apple pencil).
i know, it's not cheap. but it does the job better than anything i've used for note taking. you just need to try out a few note taking apps and find out which one you like best. even the built-in apple note app does the job if you don't need organizational features.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Based on the fact that you already have a laptop, I assume you would prefer handwriting, not typing. You also mentioned e-ink, so I will not go into tablets and convertibles with stylus support.

If you want to buy new, there is nothing in your price range. The best 10-inch devices currently are the Remarkable and the Onyx Boox Note 10.3. I am a fan of the latter, due to the open Android OS, which allows you to install apps from the Google Play Store. Both of these cost 500+ USD, and since they are quite new to the market, you don't have a lot of used options. However, if you can afford it, these are the best options. (There are also 13-inch devices from Onyx and Sony, but these are even more pricey.)

If you want something cheaper that has a reflective (not backlit) screen and stylus support, you need to look at the used market. The best source is the Flea Market of this very site, but Ebay is also worth checking out. Some specific devices I have used which may meet your requirements:
- Asus: EeeNote EA-800 (8-in reflective monochrome LCD)
- Irex: Iliad (8-in e-ink), DR800 (8-in e-ink), DR1000S (10-in e-ink)
- Hanvon: various WiseReader models support a stylus
- Onyx: various Boox models support a stylus, such as M92, M96-series, N96-series.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #6
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Watch this guy's video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waR3xBDHMqw&t=644s

Then compare that to the eReader offerings

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-review-video/

Last edited by Derf; 07-15-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
The second video shows two e-ink devices with closed operating systems.
A better comparison would be with Android-based e-ink tablets from Onyx (Boox Max, Boox Note). I think that most of what the guy shows on the Ipad can be done also on those tablets. You lose color, of course, but you gain visibility in bright environments, reduced eye fatigue, reduced weight, increased battery life, and increased durability (no glass). For me, those advantages are important, which is why I use a Boox Note for work notes rather than my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro.
Incidentally, the Apple Pencil is a knockoff of the Samsung S-Pen, which has been around for years, bundled with the Galaxy Note series of Android tablets.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Incidentally, the Apple Pencil is a knockoff of the Samsung S-Pen, which has been around for years, bundled with the Galaxy Note series of Android tablets.
does this mean that the samsung s-pen is compatible with the ipad?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
does this mean that the samsung s-pen is compatible with the ipad?
No, two different technologies. The S-Pen is passive and works without batteries while the Apple Pencil has batteries and needs to be recharged to keep working.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Is there an area for the ReMarkable here on the forum?

Have searched for it but to no avail....
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Is there an area for the ReMarkable here on the forum?

Have searched for it but to no avail....
Not specifically for it, but there are threads devoted to it under "More e-readers" https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=281279
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #12
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Rocketbook ?

Many people are looking for e-reader with great writing experience but what about using any reader with access to the cloud and such cheap writing solution:

https://getrocketbook.co.uk/products...ast-rocketbook

YT https://youtu.be/U9Kas8l38Kc

I've just seen it on digitec.ch discounted to 29 chf.

Last edited by plusz; 08-30-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: YT link
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:46 AM   #13
Jmirko
Recovered collector

I still prefer my Onyx Boox Note for several reasons: 1. One item instead of two, 2. I can edit my writing later on, 3. I can mark up documents.

Although the Rocketbook is technologically cool, I think it is solving a nonexistent problem. I would rather use a ring binder with replaceable pages (as I did for many years before I found the Asus EeeNote), and scan/snap them periodically. Using standard paper and standard pen is probably cheaper than Rocketbook, and there is no hassle erasing pages.

Tags
note taking, noteblock, onenote, save to device