Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Just tweeted my annoyance to @NOOK_Care, and this is their reply:

"The ability to sideload NOOK purchased content has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

So I guess the ability to download to your computer is gone for good.
Nice of them to tell their customers in advance isn' t it? At least I don't recall hearing anything of any such plan to discontinue that ability. I'm sure it would have been posted here at MR if someone had heard of it prior to it being done.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #32
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:

"The ability to sideload NOOK purchased content has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Well, NOOK for PC seems to still work for the moment, though they tried to kill it off once before.

I had to use Google to find it, but here's a direct link to the current NOOK for PC installer (it's the same one from 2011):
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/PRe...tup_latest.exe

I can't imagine what business purpose that removing the download links is supposed to serve. The only thing I can think of is that they're planning to change the DRM to be like Amazon's, where there's a different encryption key for each device (Amazon only gives you a download link if you have an e-ink Kindle on the account).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
It's worth noting that I have not updated the Nook app. The most recent update wanted drastically increased permissions.
I've never liked the NOOK app for Android. It wants to run all the time and is always hitting the network.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #33
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
This is really irksome to me. I started with Nook devices years ago but bought a Kobo Aura HD last year. In spite of that, though, because of the ability to get gift cards to B&N (and therefore limit my spending and provide gift requests to family members), I never stopped shopping at B&N.

This, I fear, will be the end of that adventure.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #34
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Nook for PC and Nook Study both work still to download the books in case you haven't done that yet. I agree it looks like they're trying to stop downloading altogether and those programs might not work in the future. Although I don't see how they can continue to sell books without letting people download them somewhere.

I suggest if you haven't downloaded your books from B&N, you get them all downloaded soon before the ability goes away entirely, especially if you don't own a Nook ereader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #35
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I can't imagine what business purpose that removing the download links is supposed to serve.
They are most likely moving to app-locked content to placate BPH "concerns" over piracy. Their "thinking" is that if they take the PC and mac versions out, move the ebooks to obscured repositories in iOS and Android the pirates can't get to the files to crack the encryption. They never learn.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #36
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Those of you that may be receiving settlement from Apple via B&N may want to request a check in lieu of a credit. Without a download option that credit will become worthless to me.

You have until 10/31 to request a check.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #37
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Nook for PC and Nook Study both work still to download the books in case you haven't done that yet. I agree it looks like they're trying to stop downloading altogether and those programs might not work in the future. Although I don't see how they can continue to sell books without letting people download them somewhere.

I suggest if you haven't downloaded your books from B&N, you get them all downloaded soon before the ability goes away entirely, especially if you don't own a Nook ereader.
Another quick suggestion is that if you're using one of these programs, it might be worth your while to re-download any books that you've already downloaded, particularly if it's been a while since you downloaded them the first time.

After reading this post, I spot-checked some of my B&N books and an easy majority of them have been updated since I first downloaded them. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to tell if a book had been updated before downloading the new one.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #38
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:

Wow. That's mindboggling. Goodbye Nook.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #39
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Wow. That's mindboggling. Goodbye Nook.
Wow, indeed. What's insane is that with so many discussions about the various awful things ebook vendors could do, the one that can least afford to lose customers is the one that did it - changed their service so that content can no longer be used in the same context under which said content was purchased.

I strongly suspect that this move is for the same reason I suspect Kobo is going to kepub - data tracking. The best thing about epub with ADE DRM (and previously B&N DRM) is that you ended up with a file authorized for your account, and it would work on any device you authorized with your account. Everything was done on the front end - there was no additional handshake or connection required after the initial file retrieval, the file was portable between authorized devices and the retailer (and Adobe) had no further hand in it.

Of course, the problem with that is it leaves no precious tracking data.

(insert several choice words here, most of them not suitable for this forum)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #40
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

Already done. They're cooking away in Calibre as I type this.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #41
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Wow thanks for the heads up. I can confirm that Nook for Mac can still download books. I just downloaded this application today.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #42
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I was able to get a copy of the BN-Dloader script here: It's in the source code tab. I'm pleased to report that I can use it to download Analog/Asimov magazines, so I no longer have to download them to my phone and copy them off to my PC so that I can read them on my Nook Simple Touch.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 09-18-2014 at 11:05 AM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #43
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks for the script link. It works for me. I've never even used Nook for PC. I hope this script continues to work.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #44
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Sigh... Haven't bought anything from B&N for nearly a year, but this is the final nail for me. Greasemonkey script seems to work, but I'll have to get broadband access before I can really try it out. Goodbye Nook...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #45
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:

That's pretty much the answer I got at Facebook. In my reply I did say that it was something else for me to consider when deciding where to buy content.

I've never bought from Google Play before, and I have some problems with their apps being intrusive, but it's worth cultivating a new option.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote