Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #27271
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
About 95% done with A.G. Riddle's "Departure". Also, about 95% done with Bill Bryson's audiobook, "In a Sunburned Country".

Polished off two James Rollins short stories before that: "Kowalski's in Love" and "Tracker", to catch me up with all the books in the "Sigma Force" series so I can continue with the next novel where I left off, "Bloodline".

I might possibly slip in S.M. Stirling's "Island in the Sea of Time" before going back to Rollins. Or, I liked Hugh Howey's "Wool" so much a few months back, that I might dive into his "Shift" next. I never really know what I'm going to read next until the second I start reading it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #27272
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I started Last Train to Istanbul. Supposed to be a best seller but it is so slow and boring I am having trouble staying interested. I am also reading The Litigators by John Gresham and to my sadness its not that great. I love his books but I cant seem to keep interest in this one. I also finished Salems lot and it was simply fantastic!
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #27273
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I'll have to seriously think about reading it soonest.
The edition I have has a sort of prequel and an after story. It also has deleted scenes that king took out of the book in its own section at the end. I remember seeing the movie but the book is so much better. It is more creepy than "IT"
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:06 AM   #27274
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I remember seeing the movie but the book is so much better.
I thought the movie was really good. I'll certainly have to read the book now!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:13 AM   #27275
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm now in the middle of reading "A Talent to Amuse", Sheridan Morley's biography of Noel Coward. It really only covers his professional life, but it does that in an amusing way.

I'm also starting Black Horses for the King by Anne McCaffrey. Another purchase from the Fictionwise days.
The Noel Coward biography was OK. A bit dry in places, and as mentioned, really only covered his professional life.

Black Horses for the King was a fun Arthurian tale, following a minor character.

Now I'm reading Man-Kzin Wars IV

[EDIT]

Which I've now just finished. Two good longer-length stories.

Next up: Pulse by Felix Francis.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-15-2018 at 08:07 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #27276
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Are you reading the unabridged UK version, or the American translation?

As for me, I am halfway through The Three Musketeers, the New Leaf selection for this month, and it has been slow going.
It's the unabridged version. . wasn't too impressed with that last chapter will have to re-read to get a better understanding. Have moved on to Fahrenheit 451.

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 06-15-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #27277
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Last night I finished Manners & Mutiny, the fourth & final book in Gail Carriger's "Finishing School" series. It had slow but dramatic start, then accelerated towards a rousing finish. There was a warm happy ending that I wanted and needed. I enjoyed how this and last book planted seeds for the "Parasol Protectorate" books. And there were the exploding fake desserts. I plan to move on from that to the final book in a more serious series, probably starting next week.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:15 AM   #27278
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Pulse by Felix Francis.
I was pleasantly surprised by Pulse. Much better than the other Felix Francis I've read. The others have been added to my wish list.

Next up: Analog SFF, July/August 2018.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #27279
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas.

No idea what I'll read next, but it certainly will not be related to this in any way, shape or form.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #27280
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Next up is Daryl Gregory's Spoonbenders.
"Romp" is the word I've settled on. What a fun romp through the lives of the "Amazing Telemachus Family:" charlatans and psychics. Throw in some shady government agencies, and some organized crime and you begin to have an inkling of what may be in store. Humorous without being campy; quirky without crossing the line to downright weird. But what really won me over was the author's ability to range as far afield as he did (and with as many characters and timelines as he did) yet still manage weave all the loose ends back into one satisfying conclusion--in one book no less!

And because I can't seem to write a review any more without a comparative (and quite often non-literary) mashup of some kind, I'm just going to throw this out there: Arrested Development's Bluth family meets The Men Who Stare at Goats. Make of that what you will.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #27281
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds pretty interesting , DiapDealerr. Borrowing from the library now.

Myself, I have dug into The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden: A Novel by Jonas Jonasson. This is the guy who wrote about The Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. Both books are fun and quirky, something along the lines of Forrest Gump or Garp: the girl starts out as a toilet-emptier in a small town near Johannesburg, learns math, then how to read, and I am only 19% in and she's involved in South Africa's nuclear weapons program in the mid-'70s.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #27282
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'm reading Seven Surrenders by Ada Palmer, the second in her Terre Ignota series.
Next I'll probably read Revenant Gun, the last in the Machineries of Empire series by Yoon Ha Lee or Will to Battle by Palmer.

So far Palmer's and Lee's series have been among my favorites this year.

Last edited by BenG; 06-21-2018 at 08:10 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #27283
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Etched in Tears by Cheryl Hollon. It was a little too cozy, even for a cozy mystery. Lots about the glass shop and kind of a lackluster mystery. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it but I finished it anyways.

Next up is the new Star Trek Voyager book Architects of Infinity by Kirsten Beyer.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #27284
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I finished A Taste for Vengeance by Martin Walker. This is number 11 in the Bruno Chief of Police Series. I enjoyed it as I expected I would.
I am Currently reading Commanding by Mike Shepherd. This is number 17 in the Chris Longknife Series.
As soon as I finish Commanding I am going to start Outcasts of Order by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. It is number 20 in the Saga of Recluce. I have been extremely happy with how well Modesitt keeps this series interesting and fresh.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #27285
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Finished The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden: A Novel by Jonas Jonasson. Very enjoyable, and the king does make it to the end (like there was nay doubt.

Likely I will read J. A. Konrath's Fuzzy Navel next, another "Jack" Daniels crime fiction.