Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
martinrebas
martinrebas began at the beginning.

Device: --
Is the PRS-T1 supposed to be this buggy?

After upgrading to the latest firmware version a couple of weeks ago, my PRS-T1 works better, but there's still one problem every three minutes of reading or so: It freezes a lot, sometimes for ten seconds, sometimes until I manage to reboot it; quite often the dictionary definitions don't appear, or it moves three pages forward instead of one.

Is this common? Is there anything I can do about it?
martinrebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Does it do it with every book? It's possible it's a badly formatted epub causing the issue.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
martinrebas

Hmm, I should really do more testing; at the moment, I'm not sure if it makes a difference which book it is. But the current epub I'm reading was generated by Calibre (from a pdf without pictures or complex formatting), and I'd be kind of surprised if Calibre generates bad epubs.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I think we've all experienced those problems occasionally, but no, you should not be having issues every few minutes.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF > ePub can generate some really poor results. Try a properly made ePub that has never had anything to do with PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Calibre is only as good as the source document. If the PDF has some nasty coding in it, the epub conversion is not going to do away with that on it's own. You have to get into it and look at the coding. You can do that by opening the "search & replace" feature and look at it, then compare that to an epub that was not made from a PDF. That will give you a good idea of what is wrong with the hidden parts of your doc.

Also if you have opened a screwed up book, even just once, then go on to read other books, that screwed up book can still cause problems on the device. Delete it, and you might even have to restart. Worse case scenario, you might have to reformat the Sony. I had it happen to me. Lately I've been checking everything through Sigil (via the Calibre plugin) to see if there is anything obvious, before I put it on the Sony. (That's a great way to remove the excess image files that are often included in romance novels).

Last edited by booklover6; 02-09-2013 at 07:58 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I have had problems with e-pubs converted from pdf... what I do now is open the pdf in Word and create a .lit format then use calibre to convert the .lit to epub.. a bit convoluted but it seems to help oh and delete the offending book because the T1 will keep trying to load the cover into that stupid "recently added" thing on the home screen
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
martinrebas

After some more testing, the problems are still there. I looked at the epub code and found nothing weird. The next ebook I tried had the same problems. Today, I downloaded the most popular epub from manybooks.net ("The Art of War"). I tried using the dictionary three times, and each time the reader froze for half a minute, after which I got the option to "force close". Shutting down and restarting the PRS-T1 didn't make any difference. Any suggestions?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Maybe your dictionary is corrupt.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe you need to reload the firmware.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
martinrebas

Formatting didn't help. I don't know how to reload the firmware - it says I already have the latest version, so it doesn't update.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Is the T1 a "straight" purchase - ie from a trustworthy/reliable retail source ?
Or was it picked off on ebay or somewhere, or a non-factory refurb ?

Because, although it sounds like a content, rather than device problem, this sounds way out of line - I suggest you contact the seller for a response/advice.

I have to say I've had every Sony from the x50's on, all used heavily, carted around extensively, had many a bang/knock, and never had any problems that weren't down to me, or content ....
P'raps I'm just lucky ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I've had every Sony from the x50's on, all used heavily, carted around extensively, had many a bang/knock, and never had any problems that weren't down to me, or content
C, Yours is the typical experience with the Sony eReaders.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinrebas View Post
Formatting didn't help. I don't know how to reload the firmware - it says I already have the latest version, so it doesn't update.
Go into the Sony Dev section and see if you can find a thread with a link to a restore firmware with the same version you are using now. If you don't find such, ask how to reload the firmware.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go into the Sony Dev section and see if you can find a thread with a link to a restore firmware with the same version you are using now. If you don't find such, ask how to reload the firmware.
I don't think this should be advised to the average user. Inexperienced users could easily much up their reader by messing with this stuff could they not?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote