Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
And as I mentioned, all Android phones have that issue. Google does make Android, after all. A Pixel is as tied to Google as every other Android phone is, no matter how much other manufacturers might try to hide it. It's like saying the problem with my E-350 is it's too Mercedes. What do you expect?
Which is why I don't use an Android phone. I don't want Google.

Quote:
Your next choice is an iPhone if you want something more than a flip phone. Or dig around and see if you can find an old Windows phone. It's a shame Microsoft's Windows Phone and Mozilla's Firefox OS failed. But alas, they did.
And that's why I use an old Blackberry Q10. Don't want Android or iOS. There's a couple Linux phones supposedly on the way — maybe one of those will be available when I need to upgrade. Otherwise it'll be a flip phone for me. (Even if Linux are available, I might still go with the flip phone. Text and talk is really enough for me.)

Last edited by rcentros; 09-09-2019 at 08:09 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:30 AM   #32
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I don't think e-Ink technology is really suited to smartphones. It was designed to display black text on a white background. Anything more is pushing the boundaries. Unbox Therapy did a review of one not too long ago, the Kingrow K1, and it was pretty abysmal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS93u75NnPo

I like the idea of a minimalist phone but they don't need to resort to e-Ink for that. An OLED device with system wide dark mode and software optimizations could achieve the same effect.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
...I like the idea of a minimalist phone but they don't need to resort to e-Ink for that. An OLED device with system wide dark mode and software optimizations could achieve the same effect.
I haven't made a study of the light phone, but I think they went with e-ink for the battery life. And to be fair, their device is purposely not a smart phone. You aren't browsing the web or using apps on it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #34
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I haven't made a study of the light phone, but I think they went with e-ink for the battery life. And to be fair, their device is purposely not a smart phone. You aren't browsing the web or using apps on it.
An OLED device with white text on a black background would still deliver impressive battery life while being easy on the eyes because only the pixels used for displaying text consume power.

Moreover, it might even be cheaper to do OLED than e-ink. A lot of niche e-ink based devices like the remarkable tablet are so pricey they never really take off. A mass produced, readily available technology like OLED could possibly save money over e-ink and bring down the price of the minimalist phone.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #35
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Now Google has introduced the Pixel 3A and Pixel 3A XL, which are the budget versions. Very nice phone for the price
I love my 3a, but it fails as a minimalistic phone IMO.
But it is a nice phone, and works on just about any carrier.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #36
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I love my 3a, but it fails as a minimalistic phone IMO.
But it is a nice phone, and works on just about any carrier.
Honestly, any smart phone can be a minimalist phone if you just uninstall or don't use apps. That's my point. If you want a truly minimalist phone, just uninstall or disable apps you don't need or want. No need to buy a phone that is purposely restricted, especially when there's going to be that one useful feature that won't work (for me, it would be maps/navigation).
Old 09-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #37
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
If I pay 350 for a phone, I want it to do all the bells and whistles, not a minimalist design.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
If I pay 350 for a phone, I want it to do all the bells and whistles, not a minimalist design.
Sure, but that's missing the whole point. There are people out there that want a minimalist phone. I don't get it myself and I don't think they'll sell at $350. But if they can do it, more power to them.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #39
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
An OLED device with white text on a black background would still deliver impressive battery life while being easy on the eyes because only the pixels used for displaying text consume power...
Display power use is not much of an issue with basic phones because the display is off for almost all the time. Between charge times for classic phones with LCD displays, for example, in standby is typically measured in weeks.

So whether reflective LCD (which is front lit like E Ink), transmissive LCD, OLED or E Ink really doesn't matter. If for some strange reason one wanted a reflective non colour screen on a minimalist phone it would seem to me that ultra cheap (because they are widely used and been around for many decades) reflective LCD would be the obvious choice.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #40
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Do you find reflective LCD as readable as eInk? I don’t. Still this thing costs too much, and you cannot even read books on it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #41
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i don't get it (except for the e-ink display).

any phone, smart or otherwise, can be used as a "light phone". if all you are interested in is the basics then just don't use the other features. iphone and android alike, you do not need to sign in to apple or google. during the setup, you can opt NOT to sign into anything. the marketing for this phone and other phones like this blames the smart phone for complicating your life and offers this type of phone as a solution. are we humans so sad that not using facebook or instagram is not a choice we can make even if it's dangling in front of us?

my 80 year old mom doesn't use any smart phone features at all...and not even sms that's available on a "feature phone". to her a phone is just used to make phone calls. so what i did for her is to remove all app shortcuts from the home screen except the phone app...a smart phone dumbed down.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
my 80 year old mom doesn't use any smart phone features at all...and not even sms that's available on a "feature phone". to her a phone is just used to make phone calls. so what i did for her is to remove all app shortcuts from the home screen except the phone app...a smart phone dumbed down.
One of the reasons I'll probably go with a flip phone (down the line) is that I don't like a smartphone's "phone app" — I just want the phone to be a phone where I can dial a number by hitting buttons.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #43
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Do you find reflective LCD as readable as eInk? I don’t...
On small displays displaying simple information yes I do, and a minimalist phone falls into that category.

While it has been around for many decades (in widespread use since the early 1970s when TN effect LCDs came along) few have bothered much improving reflective LCD for larger and detailed displays because transmissive LCD has been available (TFT LCD was in wide use by early 1980s) and is much more competent. And for a decade or so we now have emissive displays such as OLED.

E Ink type displays, on the other hand, have no such competent related substitute so the technology languishes as its producers continue to struggle to find ways to improve it and increase its utility for actual applications. It is still stuck with adopted applications being in only a few niche products such as ereaders and shelf labelling (which is dependant on suitable store illumination realignment), where it is facing increasing competition from better or more convenient alternatives.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #44
azayn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Do you find reflective LCD as readable as eInk? I don’t. Still this thing costs too much, and you cannot even read books on it.
My Amazfit smartwatch is reflective LCD and it’s quite readable most of the time. It also has a backlight for poor lighting situations. Then again, it’s no Apple Watch. I only use it to check the time and while running. The biggest advantage of the reflective LCD display is my watch only needs to be charged once a month.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #45
azayn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
any phone, smart or otherwise, can be used as a "light phone". if all you are interested in is the basics then just don't use the other features.
Good point. You can turn your smartphone into a minimalist phone simply by turning on maximum power saving mode. It disables all but the most essential features (e.g., phone, text, calculator), turns off notifications, and stretches your battery life.