Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
WestCactus
Connoisseur
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Oasis 1 & 2, Fire 8
Paperwhite not syncing

I have a paperwhite not jailbroke up to date on software. It will not sync the book positions. I have other kindles and they will. My whispersync is turned on for all devices. I did the nuclear option and wiped the device and installed everything again. Still nothing. Turned on and off and even did the 40 second reset of the power button. Even different WiFi didn’t help.

Could it be the device or settings? Called CS and so far no help. I would like to use this as my main device but not if it can not sync.

Thanks.
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
My whispersync is turned on for all devices.
There is a difference between the Whispersync Setting that applies to all devices for your account, and the per-device setting (when available).

Go into Settings, Device Options, Advanced Options and make sure the Whispersync for Books setting is ENABLED and not DISABLED. Probably it is, but it doesn’t hurt to check.

If it is ENABLED, try disabling and then re-enabling it.

Also you could try de-registering it from your account (on your account Manage Content and Devices page on amazon) and then re-registering it from the Kindle. Reset doesn’t necessarily call home, so if the problem is with your account this might solve the problem by re-initializing the registration there.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
WestCactus
Connoisseur
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There is a difference between the Whispersync Setting that applies to all devices for your account, and the per-device setting (when available).

Go into Settings, Device Options, Advanced Options and make sure the Whispersync for Books setting is ENABLED and not DISABLED. Probably it is, but it doesn’t hurt to check.

If it is ENABLED, try disabling and then re-enabling it.

Also you could try de-registering it from your account (on your account Manage Content and Devices page on amazon) and then re-registering it from the Kindle. Reset doesn’t necessarily call home, so if the problem is with your account this might solve the problem by re-initializing the registration there.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did all including the deregister. Still the one device not wanting to cooperate. I even asked CS if there is an error they see on their end thinking maybe their server is not recognizing it.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I did all including the deregister. Still the one device not wanting to cooperate. I even asked CS if there is an error they see on their end thinking maybe their server is not recognizing it.
Deregister on the Kindle, or deregister from your Account page? I was suggesting the latter.

If you can get to the right CS people, they can pull logs off of the Kindle and might be able to see what is going on from those.

Another thing to isolate whether the device is defective would be to register to a different Amazon account and see if sync works there.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #5
WestCactus
Connoisseur

And just like that, I was about to nuclear wipe it again. It must have gotten scared. Working! 2 weeks of nothing. I won’t question it!

Tomsem, thanks for the tips!
Advert
Old 08-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
WestCactus
Connoisseur

My Paperwhite woke up once and did a sync. Then stopped. My Oasis is still not talking to the others. I did a complete unregistered and wipe then added it back to my account. Amazon opened a ticket as they couldn’t get them to sync or download while using manage my content either. I would guess it is on their side and something to do with their server.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:47 AM   #7
WestCactus
Connoisseur

I heard a suggestion for syncing that never came up in my searches. If you do not close the book in the kindle, the other devices will not sync to the current page read. I have to try this!