Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
sharkie335
sharkie335 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Odd error message

I'm using a relatively new Kindle Paperwhite, running firmware 5.11.2. I've got a ton of fanfiction that is sideloaded using Calibre and I'ved been getting an intermittent error message of "Folder is almost full. One of the subfolders under Documents folder has exceeded 2000 items. To continue adding more items to your device, we recommend creating a new subfolder under downloads".

So far, the message clears when I click close and I haven't noticed any lag or issues with the performance, but I'm a little nervous that when I do notice, it'll be because it chokes and dies. I know which folder is too big ("Unknown" under documents because when I download from AO3 the author metadata doesn't come over) but when I tried to split that folder up, everything not in the original folder disappeared off the kindle.

Anyone have any suggestions? I called Amazon, and they basically told me that people only use Calibre to pirate books and that that's the problem.
sharkie335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's a thread about this from a few months back.

IIRC, the consensus seemed to be that it was a (slightly paranoid) precautionary measure on Amazon's part because of inherent limitations of the FAT32 filesystem (possibly compounded by the fact that it's implemented in a slightly tricky manner on Kindle for... reasons).

Making use of a nested directory structure might help (unless you have a shitton of top-level folders, or highly unbalanced content (which seems to be your case, here), no matter what you do).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-10-2019 at 12:12 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
sharkie335

So I can safely ignore the message?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unless you really, really, really, really have an insanely large amount of entries in a single directory, probably, yeah.

At worst, if you do hit the FS limits, wonkyness will ensue, but fairly harmless wonkyness .
Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
sharkie335

So if I wanted to redo the directory, how would I do it? I tried just making additional top level folders and that didn't work
Advert
Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There were a lot of various techniques detailed in the previous thread, digging that one up will probably be faster than me trying to rehash how to setup Calibre .

Tags
error messages, kindle, paperwhite