Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I can't find any suggestion that "moil" has been used in place of mohel ("moil" has several senses defined in the OED but none relating to mohel). The emphasis applied in the text it may have been to indicate that his mother didn't know the right way to spell it ... maybe.
I'm not buying it, since his mother would have been saying it, not writing it. (I know you're just trying, here.) I think it's Fry making sure we didn't miss the point of the band's name, alas. Nothing like treating your readers like dopes.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
[...] I also though the plot device used to effect "time travel" was quite clever - sending the pills and birds back, without actually travelling themselves. [...]
Yes, that was something that I did like. Less dramatic that having to walk around in the past, but definitely clever. And while the dead rat thing was something we knew was coming from the second chapter, I did think it was a neat way to undo the problem.

Speaking of things I did like, or at least found interesting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
[...][*]the first few historical chapters turning out to be his thesis. This just literally made me stop and go "what?" so that I was thinking about the format of the writing rather than the story.
[...]
I did and didn't like this. It definitely pulled me out of the story when I had to take in that these chapters were supposed to be his thesis (you start trying to re-evaluate your assumptions), but the fact that they also seem to be telling part of the intended story was at the very least interesting. It seemed obvious that you were supposed to take the events seriously, and after getting past the thesis-thing, they continued to be parts that I found more interesting than the contemporary story with the blundering Michael.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ok,there's almost no chance I'll manage to finish this piece of overblown, self-indulgent, dreck, but perhaps, if I can get to where it supposedly gets better. Right now I'm taken with the comparison of his overly wordy thesis with entire passages that shouldn't be there, and the overly wordy text of the book itself. Perhaps Fry is self-aware enough as a writer to make a commentary on his own work?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Oh my. I thought I would read the book today as a break from working on my income taxes. But maybe I'll clean the toilet instead.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Oh my. I thought I would read the book today as a break from working on my income taxes. But maybe I'll clean the toilet instead.
I was thinking of cleaning the tile on my bathtub with a toothbrush and Q-Tips myself. But that would work too.

OK, I'm being perhaps a bit harsh. It has moments of humour, though only if you can 'read it' in your head with Stephen Fry's droll, dry, voice. I had the same response to his Mythos, I'm afraid. I fear book length writing is not his medium.
Advert
Old 04-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #21
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
The book was a mixed bag for me.

Stylistically, the screenplay portions didn’t work.

He made a good argument about the rise of the Nazi movement being independent of Hitler. However, he weakened his argument somewhat by putting Gloder in the 16th Bavarian Reserve Rgt, and having Gloder start the Nazi movement in Bavaria taking over Drexler’s DAP. Why not have Gloder start elsewhere, if he wanted to demonstrate the inevitability of the rise of the Nazi movement?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #22
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Fry impressed me enormously as a reader for Audible and I also heard him give a fine interview about his belief system on television. However, I felt in his retelling of the Greek myths in Mythos he did indeed get in the way of the raw archetypal power of those narratives. Still, I was looking forward to this book. Sadly, I found it a self-indulgent exercise which simply didn’t work for me. The sheer wordiness was off-putting and it didn’t even strike me as a decent exercise in alternate history. I found myself trudging through the book thinking about how much better Philip K Dick deals with similar subject matter.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Self-indulgent! That's the word I was trying to pin-point while I read this book. I kept thinking OTT, trying to show off too much, UGH! I read a book sample when it was nominated which is why I didn't vote for it. So, I started with low expectations but was keeping an open mind. I just found it generally irritating and campy. The main character was just annoying. Like others I didn't like the movie script narrative. Also I didn't like the tone when it would switch to the war scene dialogue. It seemed off - not enough transition from the modern scenes.

I think it had more potential than it achieved, and I think Fry had the capability to achieve more if he hadn't gotten in the way himself or if he just got over himself or something like that!

I know very little about Stephen Fry. Never watched or followed him. When I would travel in England while his travel show in America was showing, there was lots of talk in the office and the pubs about it. People would hear my obviously "not-English" accent and wanted to tell you about the places they saw in the series.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #24
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I was thinking of cleaning the tile on my bathtub with a toothbrush and Q-Tips myself. But that would work too.

OK, I'm being perhaps a bit harsh. It has moments of humour, though only if you can 'read it' in your head with Stephen Fry's droll, dry, voice. I had the same response to his Mythos, I'm afraid. I fear book length writing is not his medium.
All I know about Stephen Fry is that he is apparently a comedian and narrated the UK Harry Potter books. I have no idea what he sounds like. Wonder why Making History didn't become an author-narrated audiobook.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
All I know about Stephen Fry is that he is apparently a comedian and narrated the UK Harry Potter books. I have no idea what he sounds like. Wonder why Making History didn't become an author-narrated audiobook.
My first experience of Stephen Fry was as Jeeves, in the BBC/Masterpiece Theater versions of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster. (With Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster.) Then as a PR executive in Absolute Power. Though he got his start in A Bit of Fry and Laurie, which I didn't see until much later when it was on Amazon Prime. He has (or can have) the absolutely perfect haughty butler voice.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #26
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
He also did a lovely Pooh in the audiobooks of Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, as part of a wonderful cast taking part and all having a lot of fun.

To get back to the book, I was left wondering just who his target audience was. I suspect it was young and silly undergraduates, who might think it funny to insert narrative sections into a thesis, and also think it all terribly clever.

There’s one good thing about this book - we all seem to be pretty much in agreement about it!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)

No doubt he is a gifted narrator. His Harry Potter was superb. (And not available to Americans.)

I'm at 60% and soldiering on. I said I'd read the selections for the new club, and I'm determined to do my best.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #28
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
To get back to the book, I was left wondering just who his target audience was. I suspect it was young and silly undergraduates, who might think it funny to insert narrative sections into a thesis, and also think it all terribly clever.
I wondered what type of audience enjoyed this book too. The Goodreads reviews are rated 70% at 4/5 stars. This book was published 20 years ago. When I was reading it I tried to put myself back in the mindset of that time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
There’s one good thing about this book - we all seem to be pretty much in agreement about it!
Finally we found common ground.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #29
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I wondered what type of audience enjoyed this book too. The Goodreads reviews are rated 70% at 4/5 stars. This book was published 20 years ago. When I was reading it I tried to put myself back in the mindset of that time period.
I was in my 3rd/4th year of college. I think I would have enjoyed this LESS then than I did now.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I was in my 3rd/4th year of college. I think I would have enjoyed this LESS then than I did now.
You were obviously a more sensible undergraduate than I was imagining!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote