Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
An easy way to get the latest firmware links for Kobo eReaders

I have made a page which shows up to date download links to the firmware for every Kobo device.

About
I have made a webpage to show you the latest firmware version, with a download link for every Kobo eReader. See it here: https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html. It will automatically check the different affiliates for the latest firmware version and show it in an easy to read table with the model name, the hardware revision (mark number), release date, affiliate with the latest version, a download link, and the release notes link. It can also show the firmware versions for each individual affiliate if you want to see them. You can also link to the page with a filter by the firmware version, model id, model name, affiliate, and more. Push notifications for new firmware versions are coming soon.

UPDATE April 23, 2017: Added button to show detailed version info for each affiliate.

UPDATE April 23, 2017: New design and show affiliate on hover over version.

UPDATE March 4, 2017: Added bol affiliate.

UPDATE February 27, 2017: I have updated this tool. I have refactored the code. I now have a configuration section near the top of the code to make it easier to add additional affiliates and devices. I also use promises to make the code more understandable. The load time is also 3x faster because I now check the different affiliates concurrently. I have added a release notes button as well (I have been requested to do so). I have also restyled the links. I plan to include push notifications with the next version.

UPDATE February 11, 2017: I have updated this tool. I have added the beta affiliate, and I have added a filter option which can give a link to the page filtered by firmware version, mark number, model name, or model ID.

UPDATE December 27, 2016: I have released version 2 of this tool. It now shows the hardware revision, works on https, shows the release date, has faster update times, and has cleaner code.

UPDATE September 24, 2017: I have released version 3 of this tool. It now shows versions for other affiliates, all the previous firmware versions, has a new, faster, and redesigned UI, supports more affiliates, and is easier to use.

Why use this?
This tool will allow you to download the latest firmware files for inspection or sideloading.
This tool will automatically compare the versions for different affiliates to give you the latest firmware possible.
The code is easy to understand and extend if you want to contribute.
This tool will always show the most up to date information because it comes right from Kobo servers.
This tool also shows all the latest firmware links, and release notes in one easy to use page, with the option to link to the page with a specific firmware version or device.
This tool is easy to use.
There are no software downloads required.
This tool will allow you to see all the past versions of firmware for a device,
This tool can filter the list by firmware version, mark number, model name, or model ID.

How does it work?
First, I start by having a list of all the Kobo models, and their corresponding IDs.
Next, I loop through each of them, and do the following.
  1. For each of the affiliates, I check this url as follows: https://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/Upgrad...ffiliate/0.0/N .
  2. I then get the response with the highest version number, and add it to the list of models and links
Finally, if the server took too long to respond, or any other error occured, I show an error message.

Can I see the source code?
Sure. Here it is.

Last edited by geek1011; 09-24-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Update description
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The firmware returned for the Aura One is showing firmware version 3.19.5761. That is not correct. It should be showing 4.2.8110.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I mixed up the model ID. I'll fix that now
Old 12-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

It's fixed
Old 12-27-2016, 02:47 AM   #5
newman
homo viator
newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.newman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXi with 3.4.2 firmware, Kobo Glo HD
Thanks for the tool. However, it says "Connection timed out" for all the models. Any way to circumvent it? Perhaps kobobooks is blocking you?
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2016, 04:24 AM   #6
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
May be interesting to separate it by mark number.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:44 AM   #7
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
May be interesting to separate it by mark number.
Tha is a good idea as many people are asking in every firmware thread "is this or that version compatible with this or that device?"
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's a nice site, there's also another http://kobofw.herokuapp.com/ but it doesn't have the newest models listed (although you can change the model ID of the request manually).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
Thanks for the tool. However, it says "Connection timed out" for all the models. Any way to circumvent it? Perhaps kobobooks is blocking you?
It is working fine for me. Can you tell me what browser you are using, and if you know how, look at the network and console tabs in the developer tools?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
geek1011
Wizard

Also, right now, I am working on a new version which will show the model name, mark number, firmware version, firmware release date, and the firmware link. It will also be more stable and faster to load.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
I think it is a problem with http access from https domains. I have fixed it. Tell me if it works.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
It's a nice site, there's also another http://kobofw.herokuapp.com/ but it doesn't have the newest models listed (although you can change the model ID of the request manually).
So how do you change the model ID manually and how do you find out the model ID?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I think it is a problem with http access from https domains. I have fixed it. Tell me if it works.
Yes it works. But, you do need to change the URL in the first post to be https.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #14
geek1011
Wizard

I have released version 2 of this tool. It now shows the hardware revision, works on https, shows the release date, has faster update times, and has cleaner code.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how do you change the model ID manually and how do you find out the model ID?
I found the model IDs for the Aura ONE by trial and error. The rest were found from Kobo demo devices at stores, and random things I saw on the forums. Also, I have made a list here: https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff You can find out the model ID in the .kobo/version file on the Kobo.

Last edited by geek1011; 12-27-2016 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Changed link and added another note

Tags
download, firmware, kobo