Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How can I reinstall the stock ROM on my HD+

I was running CM 10.2 off an SD card (happily) and (stupidly) tried to upgrade to CM 11. I must have messed up because I can't get my HD+ to boot into the stock ROM after I removed the SD card. It will boot momentarily into Cyanoboot and then into CWM. CWM gives me two choices - install an unknown zip or root the device - neither of which I want to do. Then it will into the white screen, ask which English I speak, check my internet connection and then download an upgrade and reboot and the process starts over again. How can I wipe the EMMC and reinstall stock ROM? I have a .zip file with the stock ROM 2.10 which I put on an SD card but the device doesn't "see" it. Help.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Try copying all the data from your SD card to your pc, then reformating it with SDFormater, then copying the data back and trying again. When i went from 10.1 to 11 I had serious problems with my SD cards. I had to reformat both the card I used to install CM and the card I left in my Nook HD+ to store backups to before the Nook would work with them. On the install card it was so bad the Nook not only wouldn't boot, it would require a hard power cycle to get it to boot up again even with the card removed. Both cards worked fine under 10.1.

CM 11 seems to make the Nook HD+ pickier about SD cards somehow.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
I was running CM 10.2 off an SD card (happily) and (stupidly) tried to upgrade to CM 11. I must have messed up because I can't get my HD+ to boot into the stock ROM after I removed the SD card. It will boot momentarily into Cyanoboot and then into CWM. CWM gives me two choices - install an unknown zip or root the device - neither of which I want to do. Then it will into the white screen, ask which English I speak, check my internet connection and then download an upgrade and reboot and the process starts over again.
This happened to me a couple of times while I was using Succulent's ROMs -- it seemed as if I had flashed by mistake the EMMC version of boot & recovery, even though I was clearly using the SD build zip file.

Also, note that going from 10.2 to CM11 requires a fresh, clean install of CM11 and its corresponding Gapps, using CWM v6.0.4.5 or later.
Quote:
How can I wipe the EMMC and reinstall stock ROM? I have a .zip file with the stock ROM 2.10 which I put on an SD card but the device doesn't "see" it. Help.
See Section 6 of http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613 on how to restore to stock.

You should backup your stock ROM using SD-based recovery, it will make restoring to stock easier the next time you have this type of problem.

Last edited by livramax; 10-11-2014 at 09:47 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the reply. Succulent provided the answer to restoring stock ROM. He sent me a file: /Users/fredlavenuta/Downloads/flash_stock_boot_recovery_ovation/flash_stock_boot_recovery_ovation.zip
and then do the "8 failed boots". Worked great. Now I'm facing a new problem: when I boot into recovery TWRP loads and I would prefer CWM. How can I get that to happen. Can I just delete TWRP, including the one in EMMC? Also, the version of GAPPS we go was missing a number of apps including PlayStore. Any help would be appreciated.
Note: I started this upgrade with a pristine 16GB Class4 SanDisk card.

Last edited by fredlave; 10-13-2014 at 11:53 AM.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
Now I'm facing a new problem: when I boot into recovery TWRP loads and I would prefer CWM. How can I get that to happen. Can I just delete TWRP, including the one in EMMC? Also, the version of GAPPS we go was missing a number of apps including PlayStore. Any help would be appreciated.
To replace the recovery on SD, rename (or delete) your current recovery image file ramdisk.cwm and replace it with the ramdisk.cwm file that contains the SD recovery you want to use.

The simplest way to replace the recovery on EMMC is to use SD-based recovery to flash a flashable recovery zip that contains the EMMC recovery you want to use.

Note that CM11 requires CWM recovery v6.0.4.5 or newer, whereas CM10.x requires CWM older than v6.0.4.5 (e.g., 6.0.[1-3].x).
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well darn it....I saw that my HD+ had an available update so I clicked it, but it went into CWM boot and won't go out. I tried to flash a zip, the first time there was an error, the next few times it found no files. So I will try a different SD card today.

It's on a page that says EMMC CWM based recovery v6.0.4.6. It is (was) rooted stock 2.2.0 and the update was to 2.2.1

I am going to try flashing this zip: NookHDplus+factory+2.2.0 using a different SD card.

I will report back....advice welcome.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Sunday morning hair-pulling for me, maybe a chuckle for you Gentle Readers. Suddenly the SD card slot in my desk top quits working. Tried several adapters and cards. Decided to try an unopened micro SD card. Took it out of the package and put it in the adapter it came with. Then, since it still didn't work in my desk top, I wanted to use it in my DH's laptop, which has no SD card slot. So I attempt to remove the mSD card from the Sandisk adapter it came with. Wow. Not coming out. So I get a pair of tweezers, pull the card out, and the mSD card goes flying. I have a feeling it will not be found any time in the near future, if ever. Weeee!

As for the Nook HD+, still stuck in boot loop. I think I am going to have to make a new image and flash it. I gave up for now, as I don't want to do any of that using DH's laptop. I'll fire up the win XP desk top and see if I can do it on that.

update - for any who might be following this sorry saga.

I decided it was time to vacuum out my desktop, so I attempted to shut it down. Windows decided it was the perfect time to install 23 updates. FIVE HOURS later, I was able to unplug everything and vacuum.

The good news is, the SD card slot is now working. So I have access to all the various necessary programs, such as SD Formatter, Mini Partition Wizard, etc. I did try another zip file in the Nook HD+, but alas, still stuck in the loop.

Further research is required. I know I saw a post in XDA on this exact situation, but apparently I didn't book mark it.

update - Oh I wasn't going to post how many times I've gotten either "File not found" or "installation aborted." But somehow I enabled Rainbow mode. So now I get my error messages in multi colors!

update - found the missing sd card! Still getting error code 7 but haven't messed with it the last couple days.

Final update - I contacted the folks at n2a to see if they thought their program would work in my situation. I was promised a refund if it did not! So I downloaded and wrote to a card and I now have a working tablet again.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-30-2015 at 12:27 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote