Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
kcspis1
kcspis1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi
charging cord

Have 2 devices with the typical 6 mo life of the charging cords. Have not been available from B&N for a while. Any advice? I know most generics do not work, although they claim that they do
kcspis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
If you are using the old Nook wifi, a good cable from a phone should work. I'm using a cable I bought from TMobile on cell phone, Nook, Kobo, and Kindle. It's charging all of them well. The cheap stuff sold on counters in convenience stores is junk.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find that the "Amazon Basics" range of cables is good value for money, and every one I've bought has worked on all my devices. I've bought several of their micro-USB cables which (please correct me if I'm wrong) I believe is what the nook would require.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The Nook HD/HD+ use special cables that look like the old iPod cables, but aren't quite the same size. I'm guessing that's what the OP is talking about, only because they'd be the only ones I'm aware of that have become difficult to get (although there's one showing on the B&N website, there are lots of comments that say they can no longer get it online).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The Nook HD/HD+ use special cables that look like the old iPod cables, but aren't quite the same size.
Thanks for the correction
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I once owned the Nook HD, and those special cables are a real pain.

They were so much of a problem - the plastic shell breaking apart - that there were numerous complaints here on Mobileread a few years ago.

Mine also broke.....and that's when I said 'bye-bye' to B&N.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
the factory Nook cable had a proprietary configuration. The plug to connect to the nook was longer than on normal cables. Regular cables didn't insert deep enough to properly charge.

I haven't tried any 3rd party cables so I can't comment on their function.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #8
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
The first Nook wifi only did use standard cables. I can't keep track of which cable goes to which device as long as the ends are the same and there is nothing else on the cord. The charge would last for at least 4 weeks with moderate use. The Kobo is running about the same. Charging time for both the same.

I bought the Nook Wifi in 2010. I didn't need 3G.

I gave the cable to daughter when she tried the Nook, and she left the cable in the UK when she brought the Nook back. (I bought her a new one, and we had B&N set it up for her use)

I used the old Nook Wifi for a year after she brought it back and I used whatever generic cable I could find. The same cable charges phone, Nook, and Kindle.

If the newer Nooks use a different cable, I wouldn't know. I've never looked at or used a new Nook.

Last edited by Alpha o; 03-27-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
billsfan2
Enthusiast
billsfan2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Tablet, Nook HD+, Kindle PW 2015, Glowlight 3
After a month or two, our local B&N has some Nook Color/Tablet cords in. I was on their wait list with many others and they just called this week. Every city I have friends in had been out of them. Maybe try your local store again.
billsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan2 View Post
After a month or two, our local B&N has some Nook Color/Tablet cords in. I was on their wait list with many others and they just called this week. Every city I have friends in had been out of them. Maybe try your local store again.
Alternatively, try contacting NOOK Customer Service by phone, email, or chat, to burden them with finding and shipping to you available charging cables.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote