Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
12 New B&N Classic eBooks available - 7/30

Hi everyone,

12 new B&N classics available this week. See them at:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks....asp?PID=34519

Enjoy!
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

You're welcome.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Every one of them have been available at Project Gutenberg and other places for quite some time.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Every one of them have been available at Project Gutenberg and other places for quite some time.
We've been through this discussion before. These are nicely formatted unlike most of the Gutenberg books and are annotated. Well worth the price being asked.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exactly. They're actually very nice editions, and definitely worth the download, even if they use sometimes clunky old public domain translations for any originally foreign-language texts (except Beowulf).

This week's are "Romance and Passion" themed. Jane Austen (4 books, completing the set from last week's 2), Anna Karenina, Brontë (2 out of 3 sisters), Dangerous Liaisons, Elizabeth Gaskell, EM Forster, Willa Cather, Edith Wharton. Most of those seem to be dysfunctional relationships rather than loving ones, though maybe I've just got the wrong idea about what romance is really about.

Now I'm kind of curious how they're going to theme ensuing weeks. I think they've got enough selection for 12 Horror and Mystery, Philosophy and Science, Action/Adventure, Lost in Translation, but further obvious groupings escape me.

It's really too bad B&N decided to up the price of the non-free Classics from $1.99 to $2.99, just five days into the promo.

Here I'd calculated that at probably 8 weeks w/12 different books each, assuming no repeats from week to week but that they'd overlap with all the 21 books previously offered free as part of the "All-American" promo and the three you normally get just for signing up, then I'd have gotten at least 96 out of the 149 available e-booked Classics for free, and it would only cost me $106 to get the remaining 53 or fewer and complete the set.

As it is, I think if I'm going to put money into B&N's corporate coffers, it's going to be by buying some nice MultiFormat sf/fantasy at Fictionwise while they're still around.

I hope they put the prices back down once the promo's over. Or just keep giving more of them away free as time goes by.

But anyway, this is a really nice promo and I'm still (mostly) grateful that they've decided to do it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Exactly. They're actually very nice editions, and definitely worth the download, even if they use sometimes clunky old public domain translations for any originally foreign-language texts (except Beowulf).

This week's are "Romance and Passion" themed. Jane Austen (4 books, completing the set from last week's 2), Anna Karenina, Brontë (2 out of 3 sisters), Dangerous Liaisons, Elizabeth Gaskell, EM Forster, Willa Cather, Edith Wharton. Most of those seem to be dysfunctional relationships rather than loving ones, though maybe I've just got the wrong idea about what romance is really about.

Now I'm kind of curious how they're going to theme ensuing weeks. I think they've got enough selection for 12 Horror and Mystery, Philosophy and Science, Action/Adventure, Lost in Translation, but further obvious groupings escape me.

It's really too bad B&N decided to up the price of the non-free Classics from $1.99 to $2.99, just five days into the promo.

Here I'd calculated that at probably 8 weeks w/12 different books each, assuming no repeats from week to week but that they'd overlap with all the 21 books previously offered free as part of the "All-American" promo and the three you normally get just for signing up, then I'd have gotten at least 96 out of the 149 available e-booked Classics for free, and it would only cost me $106 to get the remaining 53 or fewer and complete the set.

As it is, I think if I'm going to put money into B&N's corporate coffers, it's going to be by buying some nice MultiFormat sf/fantasy at Fictionwise while they're still around.

I hope they put the prices back down once the promo's over. Or just keep giving more of them away free as time goes by.

But anyway, this is a really nice promo and I'm still (mostly) grateful that they've decided to do it.
Thanks for mentioning these. Great to have nice covers and annotations for many of my favorites. I checked the B&N page earlier, but it was displaying last week's titles to me for some reason. If you hadn't mentioned the titles in your post, I would've missed out.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Thanks for mentioning these. Great to have nice covers and annotations for many of my favorites. I checked the B&N page earlier, but it was displaying last week's titles to me for some reason. If you hadn't mentioned the titles in your post, I would've missed out.
If you want to catch the rest of last week's, there's a very limited window in which the old ones are still free, but no longer shown on the main promo page. I think it ends around midnight PDT.

Anyway, they'll be listed here on the regular "free ebooks" page for a brief time, so get them while they're still saying $0.00. Might have to go through a couple of pages.

Last week's were "Books that made great movies". There's the two remaining Austens, Beowulf, War of the Worlds, Three Musketeers, Great Expectations, Phantom of the Opera, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Last of the Mohicans, Ivanhoe, Cyrano de Bergerac, and George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion.

ETA: Er, if you hadn't already picked those ones up previously, that is.

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-30-2010 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Possibly mistaken assumption in post.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
If you want to catch the rest of last week's, there's a very limited window in which the old ones are still free, but no longer shown on the main promo page. I think it ends around midnight PDT.

Anyway, they'll be listed here on the regular "free ebooks" page for a brief time, so get them while they're still saying $0.00. Might have to go through a couple of pages.

Last week's were "Books that made great movies". There's the two remaining Austens, Beowulf, War of the Worlds, Three Musketeers, Great Expectations, Phantom of the Opera, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Last of the Mohicans, Ivanhoe, Cyrano de Bergerac, and George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion.
Yup, grabbed those, too. Thanks.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
jdarnold
jdarnold began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Here's the "short" url to the free classics, which is updated each week:

http://www.bn.com/freelibrary
jdarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
BookishMom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
As others have said - no they haven't, but I can understand how you made that assumption.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I didn't realize that my existing B&N account worked; I thought I had to register when I downloaded the software for my phone and I haven't been able to do that. I've missed out on quite a bit already.

Can I use the "Add to My Library" drop down to get them or do I need to pick the "Get Free eBook" button?
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
BookishMom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I didn't realize that my existing B&N account worked; I thought I had to register when I downloaded the software for my phone and I haven't been able to do that. I've missed out on quite a bit already.

Can I use the "Add to My Library" drop down to get them or do I need to pick the "Get Free eBook" button?
I've been using the "get free ebook" button for each book and it's worked fine. You can still get most of the books offered in the past couple of weeks by checking out the Free eBooks link after you're finished with these 12 books. I don't know how long past classics will be available there for free, so try to do it as soon as possible.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think B&N should give away the new classics such as Android Karenina.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I too didn't think about downloading freebies from B&N earlier. I (wrongly) assumed I'd have to have either a nook or pc app "registered" at B&N to download. Until I tried it today. So I've downloaded this week's free classics, but as far as I can tell any there were from previous weeks are already back at 2.99.

Speaking of B&N...when searching, is there anyway to exclude the "google books" books?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote