Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #31
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I guess this is part of their pre-christmas sales marketing plan. It's a pretty decent price for the device but don't international users still have restrictions on what books they can buy?

Kind of limits the usefulness of the device for international people.
Well, we have found ways to free ourselves from restrictions....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #32
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I sure hope that is not just temporary!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The only way to charge the Kindle is via USB, either via a PC or using a wall charger. The Amazon charger is just a bog-standard USB wall charger. Any other one will do just as well.
All of my usb chargers accept 100-240V 50-60Hz as input. Doesn't the Kindle? The only issue is the mechanical adapter to plug it in.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #34
Belynda
Belynda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Well, we have found ways to free ourselves from restrictions....
There are lots of books I have wanted to buy but each time I press the one click button it says not available in UK!!!
Belynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:50 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
All of my usb chargers accept 100-240V 50-60Hz as input. Doesn't the Kindle? The only issue is the mechanical adapter to plug it in.

Dale
Yes, the Kindle charger is a "universal" one. Works just fine here in the UK with a plug adaptor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Does it have a mini-usb plug to charge? Or does it have its own plug to charge?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 AM   #37
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Fair enough on no tax. But I thought Australia used 240V? Or are you only going to use USB charging?

And when you browsed the Kindle store, did you have the correct location setting on?
Yes Dawn, when browsing the Kindle store I have my account set to Australia. Others have already answered the other part to your question, but USB charges are not difficult to obtain, nor are they expensive. As it is I have half a dozen of the damned things cluttering my place from various devices.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The Kindle? It charges via USB.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Kindle 2 and 2i have a Micro-USB socket through which it charges and connected via USB (but apparently, not both at the same time.)

Micro-USB is a new standard that will be used on all new mobiles phones in the near future.

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, the Kindle is the first "micro USB" device I've seen. All my other devices use "mini USB". The micro slot is wider and narrower than the mini.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #41
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
"wider and narrower"...

So, wider in width and narrower in height?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:29 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
"wider and narrower"...

So, wider in width and narrower in height?
Yes, exactly. Reading what I wrote, though, I can see that it was rather unclear .
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The width difference is mostly an illusion caused by the difference in depth.

Mini-USB plugs are 6.8mm (+0.04/-0.05) wide by 3mm (+0.04/-0.05) deep.
Micro-USB plugs are 6.85mm (+0.02/-0.06) wide by 1.8mm (+0.02/-0.06) deep.

So you could have mini and micro plugs of exactly the same width and still in spec. (i.e. between 6.79 and 6.84mm), but nominally micro plugs are 1/20 mm wider.

Micro-USB plugs are
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, the Kindle is the first "micro USB" device I've seen. All my other devices use "mini USB". The micro slot is wider and narrower than the mini.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #44
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Yes Dawn, when browsing the Kindle store I have my account set to Australia.
Well, the country setting for "Kindle Books" when browsing Amazon.com is set by a browser cookie (or at least is recorded in one) and defaults (at least in my case) to the US.

And yay, yet another plug to force people to buy expensive cables. Sigh.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #45
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the Kindle which I should have on Friday. If I hadn't already decided then my search of the Kindle book site tonight would have convinced me. Found all of Barbara Erskine's books in Kindle format. I have not been able to find these anywhere else, even on the darknet and would have bought the device for that alone.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote