Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
queenofthenorth
queenofthenorth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Kobo/Koreader - best way to organise 1000s of books

I recently switched from Kindle to Kobo (sage) because of the easier book management systems. I have 2,000+ books and am aiming to have them organised by genre for ease of navigation. I've been organising them into genres and sub-genres in Calibre (genre. subgenre), but the original firmware only supports one folder, so I'd initially used the tags. I just installed Koreader and prefer the folder management - is there any way to create sub-collections/ folders? The default seems to be by author. If this is doable - any way a book can sit in two folders?

If none of this is possible, how do you manage your collections?

Any help is much appreciated!
queenofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:41 PM   #2
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
Have you tried the Calibre metadata search found in Koreader? From there you can browse tags, titles, series and authors. You can also modify screen taps or gestures to bring up calbre search easily, rather than go through the menu system.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2023, 05:45 PM   #3
queenofthenorth
queenofthenorth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
I have - I was hoping to be able to navigate from the home menu (or access sub folders). Searching the metadata pulls the same categories/folders that I set up in the original firmware.
queenofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:13 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If I'm not mistaken, you can use Calibre to create collections based on tags (e.g. one collection per genre), and then you can have Calibre create those collections for you on the Kobo. This only works on Nickel; KOReader just uses a file browser, although a browser that uses book metadata is in development.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:21 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You don't need KOReader on a Sage. It's only advantage is CSS over-rides. The Sage My Books section is superior. They are working on a meta-data based library interface of KOReader.

I prefer to fix ebooks in Calibre and use the native interface. I do have KOReader on an Android eink and did have it on the Elipsa (for PDFs, but now Sage/Elipsa crop PDFs per book).

I only use Folder management on PC and Android outside of Calibre for subject related structure that's a mix of PDF., Djvu, png, jpg, tiff. It's crazy for ebooks. A Library interface like Kobo's My Books that utilises real title, author, collection, series and unread/reading/finished and can sort by date added too is hugely superior.
The default "file manager" interface of KOReader is a 1970s thing for documents with no sensible metadata.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2023, 01:42 AM   #6
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I have 6000+ books on my Forma, and I organise by shelves which are managed from within Calibre. There’s an instruction set in the Calibre forum here, or plenty of details via a Google search ‘shelf management on kobo using calibre’. The main thing is that you can’t see tags on the Kobo itself even when they are in the metadata, so you need to make shelves based on tags.

I find it best to keep shelves fairly high-level, otherwise it means paging through pages of shelves to get to the one you want. So all my non-fiction is in a single shelf, apart from work-related books. Science Fiction has a number of shelves - Alternate History, Cyberpunk, Military SF, Sword & Planet, and so on, along with a general Science Fiction shelf. I tend to break things down once I get to 50+ titles, again to do with multiple pages on the Kobo.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:36 AM   #7
Hyphen-ated
-
Hyphen-ated began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
is there any way to create sub-collections/ folders?
yes, in KOReader you can definitely have subfolders and nest them as deeply as you want. so for example if you wanted a layout like genre/author/title.epub, you could do that.

i'm not sure about having a book appear in multiple places though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You don't need KOReader on a Sage. It's only advantage is CSS over-rides.
given how much faster KOReader turns pages on a Forma than Nickel does, i'd expect it to also be noticeably faster on a Sage. (although the cpu on a sage is quite a bit better, so maybe not)

the behavior of the ui in KOReader is also much more customizable, like defining tap zones of whatever size you want, anywhere on the screen, to take whatever action you want

Last edited by Hyphen-ated; 07-29-2023 at 05:40 AM.
Hyphen-ated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:00 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphen-ated View Post
yes, in KOReader you can definitely have subfolders and nest them as deeply as you want. so for example if you wanted a layout like genre/author/title.epub, you could do that.
And impossibly slow to browse.
It's a file browser, which only suits things with no metadata.

Quote:
i'm not sure about having a book appear in multiple places though.
Only by having multiple copies

Quote:
given how much faster KOReader turns pages on a Forma than Nickel does, i'd expect it to also be noticeably faster on a Sage. (although the cpu on a sage is quite a bit better, so maybe not)
Even page turn on Touch Version C and Original H2O is fast enough for epubs.

Quote:
the behavior of the ui in KOReader is also much more customizable, like defining tap zones of whatever size you want, anywhere on the screen, to take whatever action you want
But the default My Books, + search + Built-in reader is sufficiently customisable. Really all the KOReader "features" are only needed for poor PDFs (which need a big screen) or bad epubs. It's really hard to remember where a setting is on KOReader. So I only use it on eInk Android now and only for epub. The eink Android's native PDF is easier to use. On regular Android I use Xodo for PDFs and images, mostly technical material. I use PocketBook for TTS and Lithium otherwise on Android, though I also use Borrowbox, GooglePlaybooks, Libby etc on eink and regular Android.

I'll only consider re-installing KOReader on any Kobo if it can have a UI as good as Kobo's to browse/find an ebook. I've tried KOReader's Calibre Metadata search and it doesn't mitigate the clunky File browser default.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:14 AM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
What is neat about KOBO that kindle does not do is it automatically groups books by Author
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:18 PM   #10
dedeca
Enthusiast
dedeca is on a distinguished road

Device: PW3 and PW5
It looks like the KOReader developers are working on a metadata-based file browser. I tested it and I really liked it. But I don't know if it will be approved, I hope so.
Here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ent-1552934881

Last edited by dedeca; 07-30-2023 at 08:25 PM.
dedeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:58 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
What is neat about KOBO that kindle does not do is it automatically groups books by Author
Much as I think the Kindle is very inferior to the Kobo, it does sort by Author, Title, Recent or Collection. It also has a filter.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:24 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
My K4nt can. Up on the 5-way to the grouping, then sideways for choice.
(I suspect a Touch model works similar)
What is klunky is SERIES. I have to put the name into Collections, and I use the metadata plugboard to prefix the title with the Index.
Even then
What shows in the list is sad
123-title
and
series_name
123-title
456-another
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:07 AM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'm not familiar at all with Koreader, so no advice around that.

For stock Kobo, making collections is a pretty good organization method (though it does have its glitches, occasionally stalling up the sync process). The KoboTouch(Extended) drivers in Calibre allow you to map that to a custom column, which is far easier than trying to do it on the device.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:21 PM   #14
II2II
II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.II2II 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Create columns for genre and subgenre in Calibre.

You will find a place to configure the path to save files to under Calibre's device configuration, use something like "Books/{#genre}/{#subgenre}".

At least that's how I would do it. Apparently there is a better (albeit more complex) way to configure it which is documented here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html

Either way, once you transfer your books to your device they will be stored in a nice directory hierarchy that is easy to access via KOReader.
II2II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:35 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by II2II View Post

Either way, once you transfer your books to your device they will be stored in a nice directory hierarchy that is easy to access via KOReader.
Not with 1000s of books. Totally slow and painful compared to native library interface using metadata on Kindle, Kobo or Sony.
It's a system only needed for random things that are not ebooks.
Also no item can be in two places.

Also painful to find a book by part of title, author or series or collection. The current KOReader Calibre database search is awkward.

No doubt eventually KOReader will have a Library interface. Then the books that you didn't assign to genres or collections will be browsable.

Tags
calibre, collections, kobo, manage library, organisation