Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2019, 03:25 AM   #1
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Odd behavior with text rendering on KO2

Hi there,
I‘ve recently started reading more on an Oasis 2 and noticed some strange behavior when switching between text rendered on the page and the 3x3 grid with page previews.
I sometimes use the grid to see how much text there is until the next chapter or section. Upon returning to the book, the last line or lines are sometimes wrong and when I go to the next page, it begins with a later line in the text and I have to skip back one page to get the missing line which mysteriously has been attached to the bottom of the earlier page.
Is that a known bug? Has this always been there?
The book I am reading is an Amazon bought edition of Paul Auster‘s 4321 (a marvelous read) and the font is set to a custom Garamond.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As usual, the next obvious question is going to be: does this happen with stock fonts? (i.e., Bookerly). Have you seen this happen on other books?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
As usual, the next obvious question is going to be: does this happen with stock fonts? (i.e., Bookerly). Have you seen this happen on other books?
Yes, that came to my mind as well and I immediately tested it. Happens with Bookerly, Baskerville and Palatino.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I don't know a guaranteed way to trigger it, but this has happened to me on Kindles since well before the 3x3 page view was introduced. Sometimes changing font size back and forth does it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't know a guaranteed way to trigger it, but this has happened to me on Kindles since well before the 3x3 page view was introduced. Sometimes changing font size back and forth does it.
Hmm good to know, so this is not a recent bug perhaps but something deeply engrained in the rendering engine. I find it weird that it apparently predates kfx but has never been resolved (and it seems hard to make Amazon aware of that error since it cannot be reproduced reliably).
Advert