Enthusiast
citronalco began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD
OK, I've released v3.1.5
citronalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:06 AM   #32
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Thanks! For those of us who have tested using your zip: Should we force an upgrade or is it still the same?
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2022, 04:55 AM   #33
citronalco
Enthusiast

The release version is exactly the same as the test version, no update required.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #34
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thanks for clarifying! Good job!
Old 01-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #35
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Hi citronalco,

I am not sure if this could have something to do with your plugin.

Problems with Umlaute in authors
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2022, 05:21 PM   #36
citronalco
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Hi citronalco,

I am not sure if this could have something to do with your plugin.

Problems with Umlaute in authors
I'm pretty sure it has.
Up to now I was totally unaware that there a several possible UTF-8 encodings for the same (visual) character. Seems like one can either simply use an "ö" character ("normalized form") like everyone does, or use "o" and put a two-dots-on-top character over it ("composed form"). I checked, and of course DNB delivers its data in the composed form.

kovidgoyal wrote "calibre usually normalizes metadata it reads from most sources", which probably means Calibre plugins like the DNB plugin should normalize those composed UTF-8 texts. So I'm going to do that.

I'm somewhat busy ATM, so this could take a while. Btw: I happily accept pull requests
Old 01-21-2022, 12:35 AM   #37
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am glad to have found the problem.

Take your time and thank you in advance.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:19 AM   #38
Moonbase59
Zealot

If really the plugin has to do it (vs. "strings returned by a plugin are normalized by Calibre"), be aware that there are some caveats lurking here:
  • You’ll probably want use the NFC (Normalization Form Canonical Composition), as in unicodedata.normalize('NFC', string).
  • Personally, I’d advise against using NFKC (the "compatibility" composition), because it breaks too much, like super- and subscripts, Roman numerals. Even the angstrom sign (Å) will silently be converted to the Swedish letter (Å).
  • Be sure the string is complete, i.e. not starting with a combining character or ending with a joining one.
  • Some more info on Wikipedia and unicode.org.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auswahl_193.png
Views:	143
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	191743  

Last edited by Moonbase59; 01-21-2022 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:44 PM   #39
citronalco
Enthusiast

Please try out this the attached test version.
The only change: The metadata DNB sends gets converted to NFC before any processing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dnb-test.zip (26.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 01-25-2022, 04:11 AM   #40
Wiggo
Leftutti

Works fine!

Just did some tests on books with ö, ä, ü, á, è, é and í.

Maybe Moonbase could do some additional testing?

Thank you so much!
Old 01-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #41
Moonbase59
Zealot

So you’re normalizing the whole XML using Calibre’s "normalize()". Probably a good idea, in case something changes within Calibre. Looks ok to me, from the code standpoint, but I hadn’t yet time to check much.

Problem being that I mainly read English, thus having not so many books with diacritics. Maybe I can find and test some German books later, or create some dummies for testing.

Thanks for caring @citronalco!

EDIT: @Wiggo: Tried some German books, all data gotten from DNB plugin was normalized (as far as I checked, mainly titles and authors). Even tested Andreas Schöfl’s »Altherrenjagd«. All good. Now for a Weißbier! Prost.

Last edited by Moonbase59; 01-25-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:17 AM   #42
citronalco
Enthusiast

Thank you all for testing! v3.1.6 with unicode in NFC is released.
It's identical to the test version in post #39.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:05 AM   #43
Wiggo
Leftutti

Thanks for your work and time
Old 03-31-2022, 02:45 PM   #44
citronalco
Enthusiast

Released v3.1.7:
Some Python installations do not support DFN's CA, so some people could not get data from DNB at all. Works now.
No other changes.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:57 AM   #45
Wiggo
Leftutti

It looks like it doesn't work with Calibre 6.