Notices

Old 06-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
MartinMarie
MartinMarie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Disable touch screen event

Hi guys.
I make ePub for my own on Kobo H2O.
I get questions especially around footnote.
Ever if I am following good rules to implement footnote the behaviors around touch screen could get borrowing.
Depending of the place of the footnote call, it could happen, when I touch the screen shortly either the high or low menu is displayed ; when I hit screen on the boarder, the page is turned.
Actually, doesn't it exist any xhtml tag to punctually disable the normal behavior of the touch screen ?

Martin
MartinMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
You don't need to disable the normal touch screen actions to make footnote links work, you just need to make the link to the footnote large enough to activate it easily.

E.g. if your link is something like this then you might well have problems accurately touching the link at small font sizes:
Code:
css:
  a.fn-link-decoration {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
xhtml:
  <p>... Foo<sup><a class="fn-link-decoration" href="notes.xhtml#fn1" id="f1">1</a></sup>, bar, baz.
but if you do it like this it will look identical on the page but there will be a much larger target area to touch:
Code:
css:
  sup.fn-decoration {color:blue;text-decoration:underline}
  a.fn-link {color:inherit;text-decoration:inherit}
xhtml:
  <p>... <a class="fn-link" href="notes.xhtml#fn1" id="f1">Foo<sup class="fn-decoration">1</sup>,</a> bar, baz.</p>

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-07-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: fn-link-decoration
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
MartinMarie
MartinMarie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
You are quite true GeoffR.
I will enlarge the area this way.
Thanks for suggestion
Martin
MartinMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Over the years the "which form of hyperlinked footnote" question has popped up many times.

I found that the best bet is to not use superscript footnotes:

Code:
<a href="#fn1" id="ft1"><sup>1</sup></a>
They are too small (which makes them too hard to click), they can potentially introduce line-height problems, and they are poorer on the accessibility side of things (someone with vision problems who reads with larger font size may not be able to read a superscript that is a few steps smaller).

Instead, it may be better to use [##] format:

Code:
<a href="#fn1" id="ft1">[1]</a>
The benefits were discussed thoroughly in this topic:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...14#post2859814

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMarie View Post
You are quite true GeoffR.
I will enlarge the area this way.
Thanks for suggestion
Martin
I would not recommend inserting the previous words/punctuation in the footnote hyperlink.

That is just asking for spaghetti code and painful headaches in the future (converting to other formats, upgrading to EPUB3's epub:type="noteref" + epub:type="footnote", etc. etc.). Not to mention semantic/accessibility reasons to not clutter up your <a> links.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-08-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote