Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #361
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'll stick to the standard. I use one setting on mine. I call it manual but not sure if IP calls it that.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #362
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
The review made it seem much more complicated to use. What makes it idiot proof for you?
Well, as APK mentioned, I RTFI'd. I mean, something like a plain old pot, I wouldn't bother (other than the non-sticks, to find out what I can/can't do to them), but a pressure cooker? Hells, yes, I read the damn thing, front to back and twice more, just to be sure.

Apparently, you no longer have to "set" the button on the top, so that it seals; it's done automatically when you set the lid.

And yes, there are a crapload of buttons, for yogurt, for stew, for soup, beans-chili, even EGGS. Oh, and stuff like "sterilize." I don't see how, unless you're the kind of person that sets out on a thousand-mile journey, sans map, you could really bollix it up. Especially around the safety features, like...you'd have to force the issue to end up with goop splattered all over your kitchen, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The gracious presumption that most people aren't really idiots.

It's NOT complicated to use IF you do the few minutes of reading required to learn what features you can ignore, and how to use the 3 buttons that may actually matter to you.

That being said, I know of several people who gave up trying to use it because it was too complicated. I presume those people also can't text on their phones, and if they still have VCRs, they are flashing 12:00.
Yeah, what he said. The first time I used it, I admit to being a bit...cautious. But once I made some rice, and then a stew, I was pretty calm about everything else.

I have NO idea if it's got a boatload of features, compared to the non-uLtras, or not. I've sauteed/browned in it, made stocks, and the like, and it's rather handy not to have to mess up a bunch of other pots/pans, to brown a beef, or whatever. I did my stewmeat in it, after I'd lightly floured them--seared 'em, in batches, then removed those that were browned, put in more, lather-rinse-repeat--then threw in the stock, scraped up the goody bits, and put in the rest. I was truly surprised that a pressure cooker could make stew that was as good as my usual 6-8 hour version (stovetop).

That's all I know. I really don't think it's that complicated to use. I mean, how many MORE specific item buttons do they want?

I find that people are increasingly unable to follow even basic instructions. It's frightening to observe. I'm almost glad that I shan't be here to see the outcome of this massive dumbing-down, so that if there isn't "an app for that," people don't know how to do anything. I suppose the human race should be lucky (on the one hand--not the other) that procreation is instinct, and not learning. If it were the latter, mankind would be doomed. Of course, Apple would probably figure out a way to do AI using a smartphone.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #363
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I've never had one, so all I had to go by is the review someone posted here. Maybe it was poorly written or I am an idiot.

For one it sounds like a pita.

Dial Interface*– navigate through all the options by spinning the dial and pushing it to select them. There are a lot of functions - so I have to spin through a bunch I don't want to get to what I need?

Settings “Memory”*– remembers all the settings from previous use, including time, pressure/temperature. So if I forget to clear the "memory" my next meal will be screwed up?

Choosing a Program & Adjusting it (or spin, tap, spin spin, tap, spin). There's no simple way to do this? I don't know if I need to do this or not.

BTW, I'm so sorry that chemo has screwed my memory and cognitive functions up on top of what dysautonomia already did. That's why I don't post that often any more. I have something to say and by the time I've typed a few words and I can't remember a word that I need.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #364
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I've never had one, so all I had to go by is the review someone posted here. Maybe it was poorly written or I am an idiot.

Dial Interface*– navigate through all the options by spinning the dial and pushing it to select them. There are a lot of functions - so I have to spin through a bunch I don't want to get to what I need?

Settings “Memory”*– remembers all the settings from previous use, including time, pressure/temperature. So if I forget to clear the "memory" my next meal will be screwed up?

Choosing a Program & Adjusting it (or spin, tap, spin spin, tap, spin). There's no simple way to do this? I don't know if I need to do this or not.

BTW, I'm so sorry that chemo has screwed my memory and cognitive functions up on top of what dysautonomia already did. That's why I don't post that often any more. I have something to say and by the time I've typed a few words and I can't remember a word that I need.
I do believe that is the other cooker not the instant pot.
As I recall the instant pot has no dials.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #365
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Purple Lady just get the regular one. You will love it. It's super easy to use. I don't like the look of the Ultra and would be confused trying that dial.

Sent from my XT1528
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #366
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

As I think I mentioned, I don't have anything to compare it to, so...honestly, it doesn't seem that complicated. However, if you are having memory impairment from chemo, I can see how it could be frustrating.

Hitch
Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #367
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I do believe that is the other cooker not the instant pot.
As I recall the instant pot has no dials.
Actually the Ultra that we are discussing does have a dial. It's bizarre looking. Why not just make it touch screen the dial makes no sense.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 11-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #368
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Actually the Ultra that we are discussing does have a dial. It's bizarre looking. Why not just make it touch screen the dial makes no sense.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Thanks for the update.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #369
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Thanks for the update.
Yes, it's a dial. It's relatively simple; you turn the thing on, dial it up to what you want, or down, push, then make other selections. It's a bit unusual, but it ain't rocket surgery, as they say.

Hitch
Old 11-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #370
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, it's a dial. It's relatively simple; you turn the thing on, dial it up to what you want, or down, push, then make other selections. It's a bit unusual, but it ain't rocket surgery, as they say.

Hitch
The dial was the pita part, not confusing. Why should I have to dial through all kinds of stuff I don't want? Pretty poor design IMHO.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #371
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
The dial was the pita part, not confusing. Why should I have to dial through all kinds of stuff I don't want? Pretty poor design IMHO.
Well, fortunately, there are scads of other options for you.

The reason for the "dial" isn't to force you to dial through 8 options, instead of merely tapping. It's because there are myriad other options, within those settings--which, if memory serves, the "hip cooking" chick discussed at some length.

BUT, as some folks here discussed, people like blossom use a single button. Others will use the various options. I personally prefer the options, but...as they say, YMMV. Right?

Hitch
Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #372
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The gracious presumption that most people aren't really idiots.

It's NOT complicated to use IF you do the few minutes of reading required to learn what features you can ignore, and how to use the 3 buttons that may actually matter to you.

That being said, I know of several people who gave up trying to use it because it was too complicated. I presume those people also can't text on their phones, and if they still have VCRs, they are flashing 12:00.
By definition the average IQ is 100, and half the people are dumber than that.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #373
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
By definition the average IQ is 100, and half the people are dumber than that.
By definition an idiot is below 70 IQ, and there are idiot savants.
Or was it you have to be below 70 to qualify for help?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #374
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Warning: pedantry ahead

It's perfectly likely that many people have IQs that are exactly average, so fewer (or more) than half may be above or below average.

Remember: statistics don't lie, people do.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #375
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

And back on topic: who used the Instant Pot to help make dinner today?