Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #331
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
In the oven would be OK though, right?
Ummmm .... I certainly wouldn't do it. Bumping the oven on could be hazardous to the Instant Pot too. The heating elements are still underneath the plastic part of the unit, tho it's true they're further away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I was thinking the microwave oven.
Hmmm. That probably would damage the microwave more than the Instant Pot, if it were accidentally turned on with something large and metal inside!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #332
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ummmm .... I certainly wouldn't do it. Bumping the oven on could be hazardous to the Instant Pot too. The heating elements are still underneath the plastic part of the unit, tho it's true they're further away.

Hmmm. That probably would damage the microwave more than the Instant Pot, if it were accidentally turned on with something large and metal inside!
Do you think it would work better on a rolling table? I use a rolling table for the bread machine.
If you put a bread machine on a solid counter make sure it is not near the edge as they tend to walk. If you put them on something that moves, they don't walk.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #333
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I was thinking the microwave oven.
That could work - I'd probably have to put it in sideways but I don't see why that would be a problem. Even if it is, I could just stand it up on end...

I can't believe I've never seen these valuable space-saving tips anywhere else!
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #334
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That could work - I'd probably have to put it in sideways but I don't see why that would be a problem. Even if it is, I could just stand it up on end...

I can't believe I've never seen these valuable space-saving tips anywhere else!
Do not really try this at home.

I think it would fit better upside down.
Then you could clean the microwave tray and release the pressure at the same time.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #335
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

edit: And while we're doing warnings, the official Instant Pot facebook group has a whole page collected, of photos of melted Instant Pot bottoms. People put them on the stove to use them (well, it's an otherwise uncluttered spot to put it, and it has the vent fan above it....) and then somehow/someway the burner gets turned on. Plastic bottom of Instant Pot is melted, exposing all the computer innards. Bad mojo.

Facebook Group motto: never ever ever put the Instant Pot on your stove! That's a rather expensive mistake, if the dog or the SO bumps the burner switch.
Not possible for our stove. It's all old time knobs.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #336
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Not possible for our stove. It's all old time knobs.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Knobs are even easier to bump. People are advised to take the knobs off, if they need to use the stove surface as their cooking counter.

Rolling unit: that should work fine. These don't move the way a bread machine does.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #337
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

An example, to show you the perils:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IP-meltFail.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	159902  
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #338
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Knobs are even easier to bump. People are advised to take the knobs off, if they need to use the stove surface as their cooking counter.

Rolling unit: that should work fine. These don't move the way a bread machine does.
We bumped the knob on our stove one day. It is gas. It didn't light. Glad I have a sensitive nose.

Oh and Deb, do know we were kidding about the ovens.
Somehow I think an upside-down IP in a microwave releasing pressure might lead to an unwanted sky light.

Oh and I would not want to put the IP on my stove for fear of it tipping over or uneven cooking. The stove needs leveled.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #339
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Um no mine are not easier to bump you have to reach up against the top of the stove's lip and push on the knob and turn it. There is no way to accidentally bump it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 11-08-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #340
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Walmart BF ad has the 5qt IP-LUX50 model for $49 - any thoughts on that? Seems like it might fit in my microwave better than the 6qt
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #341
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
The Walmart BF ad has the 5qt IP-LUX50 model for $49 - any thoughts on that? Seems like it might fit in my microwave better than the 6qt
Sounds like a good price. The question is how many people do you cook for?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #342
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Sounds like a good price. The question is how many people do you cook for?
You know, everyone--everyone--told me to get the 6qt, not the 8qt. The top of the line model with all the bells/whistles has the 6qt capacity, only, so...that's what I got.

I wish I could have had the same model with 8. The truth is, even with all the wondrous things that the IP does, you CANNOT fill it, not like a crockpot.
Especially for things like stew, soups and other wetter dishes. So, if it says 6qt capacity, really, you have 4qt capacity.

While I'm very, very happy with the purchase, don't get me wrong, I wish there had been an 8qt available. Given the nature of much of what you cook with an IP or other PC--stews, boeuf Bourguignonne, chix/dumplings and all that sort of easily-freezable thing, I would have enjoyed more capacity--not less.

Spoiler:
We only cook for two, but I'm seriously lazy (actually, I work 60+ hour weeks, and I am very, very jealous about what little downtime I have, away from the office) and anytime I can make and freeze, rather than having to make something new, I'm a happy camper.

Offered solely FWIW. As they say 'round the net, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #343
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Amazon has the DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Programmable Instant Pot for $79.99. I paid $140 for mine almost 3 years ago.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #344
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You know, everyone--everyone--told me to get the 6qt, not the 8qt. The top of the line model with all the bells/whistles has the 6qt capacity, only, so...that's what I got.

I wish I could have had the same model with 8. The truth is, even with all the wondrous things that the IP does, you CANNOT fill it, not like a crockpot.
Especially for things like stew, soups and other wetter dishes. So, if it says 6qt capacity, really, you have 4qt capacity.

While I'm very, very happy with the purchase, don't get me wrong, I wish there had been an 8qt available. Given the nature of much of what you cook with an IP or other PC--stews, boeuf Bourguignonne, chix/dumplings and all that sort of easily-freezable thing, I would have enjoyed more capacity--not less.

Spoiler:
We only cook for two, but I'm seriously lazy (actually, I work 60+ hour weeks, and I am very, very jealous about what little downtime I have, away from the office) and anytime I can make and freeze, rather than having to make something new, I'm a happy camper.

Offered solely FWIW. As they say 'round the net, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Hitch
You are so right. I really should have asked how do you cook?
Note: Beans cooked in the 3 quart crockpot do not come out near as well as in the 6 quart.
Oh and my 6 cup food processor does 2 cups of liquid.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #345
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hitch, you're allowed to have another one.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote