Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #316
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'd be curious to hear about the IP's slow cooker performance as well. My wife has heard some negative reports, but I'd like to know if we can retire our large Crockpot for those dishes that really do benefit from the true low and slow treatment.

As for the Ninja, this thread was specifically started because a lot of us bought Instant Pots on the Prime Day before last. The Power Cooker stuff was just 'cuz Blossom happened to get one. It hasn't quite spread to a general pressure cooking thread. Yet.

FWIW, I know some people who are happy with various Ninja products, but the brand's Infomercial style and overstated claims keeps me away from it.

ApK
Sorry, not trying to hijack, just wondered if anyone had considered Ninja before buying IP.

For me the IP would have to replace the Crockpot - just not enough cupboard space for both.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #317
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The IP is awesome. I love mine. The Power Cooker was a hunk of junk. I wouldn't trust another brand after having the real deal. The safety features, the floating release valve alone makes it the best pressure cooker.

The power cooker overcooked everything to the point of it all but disintegrated. It wouldn't come to pressure, food would explode through the valve with it only half full. The Instant Pot has none of those problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #318
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Sorry, not trying to hijack, just wondered if anyone had considered Ninja before buying IP.
No prob, just offering an explanation why it hasn't been mentioned.
Quote:
For me the IP would have to replace the Crockpot - just not enough cupboard space for both.
I want the space back too.* Funny thing is, we HAVE the IP, but to test the slow cooker, we'd need to tie it up for long periods doing multiple slow cooks...so I rather hear someone else's experience first.
I'm not quite willing to give up the Crock Pot and get it's space back yet, but everything we used to do in it, we now do either in the IP as a pressure cook (like chili) or on the stovetop in a doufeu oven (like spaghetti and meatballs or pot roast). So the crock pot has just been taking up space for a year.

ApK

* We use the IP so much, we reorganized so that the IP lives on the counter, and other stuff went onto the shelves.

Last edited by ApK; 10-30-2017 at 12:46 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #319
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

If you are looking at the Ninja multi cooker, it is more a slow cooker/oven/steamer than a pressure cooker/slow cooker/steamer.
They are totally different animals. I thought about both, but I wound up getting neither.
The question becomes how do you cook? How big is your kitchen? Do you use one or multiple appliances at a time? Also your budget and spouse reaction to new kitchen stuff.

No worries about the little hijack.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #320
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
No prob, just offering an explanation why it hasn't been mentioned.

I want the space back too.* Funny thing is, we HAVE the IP, but to test the slow cooker, we'd need to tie it up for long periods doing multiple slow cooks...so I rather hear someone else's experience first.
I'm not quite willing to give up the Crock Pot and get it's space back yet, but everything we used to do in it, we now do either in the IP as a pressure cook (like chili) or on the stovetop in a doufeu oven (like spaghetti and meatballs or pot roast). So the crock pot has just been taking up space for a year.

ApK

* We use the IP so much, we reorganized so that the IP lives on the counter, and other stuff went onto the shelves.
I'm wondering about the shape too. I assume round like the IP would be most heat-efficient, but the larger slow cookers are mostly oval to fit bigger roasts and such. Also used to the ceramic insert for slow cooking - not sure how the stainless would compare...
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #321
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelreader View Post
... From what I understand a recipe reduced in size still has the same cooking time. Is that correct? That's what I did with my beans, plain beans, which is the only recipe I have cut in half so far.
I'm told this is true. Think of it this way: even if you only put 4 cookies on the cookie sheet, you still cook for the same length of time.

Now -- the thickness of meats does matter. And when you cut down on size, the thickness may change. So bear that in mind.

Re: slow cooker. I haven't tried it, but I read and noted this fact: Instant Pot's "low" setting is keep warm only; it won't cook. The "medium" is equivalent to a CrockPot's low.

I had a different brand of slow cooker once, which had a warm setting. I had to put a huge X through it, to avoid trying to cook with it! (Came home to a not-cooked-at-all meal.) So, having a warm setting isn't unheard of. But many of us aren't used to it. Remember: it won't cook!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #322
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"That warm won't cook" will henceforth replace "that dog won't hunt" in the Big List o' Idioms.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #323
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I used mi IP in the slow cooker option and I loved the result, the meat turned out very tender and juicy. However I have to say I never used a crockpot so I can’t compare the IP slow cooker option with it. I always used it in high but that’s because of the time I have to prepare the meal.

The first time I did a whole pork loin with potatoes and carrots cut in chunks, I cooked it in high for 4 or 5 hours don’t remember exactly (I think I have taken note in my notebook, If need be I can look it out) and the meat was perfect, the potatoes where hard and had black spots from oxidation as they were not covered in liquid. The next time I cooked the potatoes first for 2 min in the IP just so they could be half cooked and to prevent the black spots, It worked and the potatoes cooked along with the meat, however I was disappointed, the roasted potatoes are much better so no more slow cooked potatoes for me.

I tried a turkey breast wrapped in bacon, (high 4-5 hours) and it was great, moist and very flavorful, and the bacon had crisped which I doubted would happen, so that was a nice surprise.

This week I did a pork sirloin with carrots and lots off onion, (high 4 hours) and it also came out very good, however the pot had a good amount of liquid in the end, I think it was because off the onions.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #324
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great report! I've never heard that much about the slow-cooker usage, so these are interesting results.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #325
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Does the liner of the instant pot come out so you can clean it?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #326
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Absolutely.

Don't forget to put it BACK before you put more food/water in it. People have ruined their electronics by pouring stuff into the naked elements part.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #327
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Does the liner of the instant pot come out so you can clean it?
So you can clean it, or serve from it, or put it in in the fridge to chill your yogurt.....And you can buy spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Absolutely.

Don't forget to put it BACK before you put more food/water in it. People have ruined their electronics by pouring stuff into the naked elements part.
<shiver> you had to remind me.....
(thankfully ours dried out and survived. The IP support person was very nice...)
Old 11-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #328
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Or this spare liner, which is a bit cheaper. Ceramic lined, supposedly non-stick. I like it just because *occasionally* I want a second liner before I've cleaned the first one. And this was cheaper!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICL8M1I

edit: And while we're doing warnings, the official Instant Pot facebook group has a whole page collected, of photos of melted Instant Pot bottoms. People put them on the stove to use them (well, it's an otherwise uncluttered spot to put it, and it has the vent fan above it....) and then somehow/someway the burner gets turned on. Plastic bottom of Instant Pot is melted, exposing all the computer innards. Bad mojo.

Facebook Group motto: never ever ever put the Instant Pot on your stove! That's a rather expensive mistake, if the dog or the SO bumps the burner switch.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 11-08-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #329
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Or this spare liner, which is a bit cheaper. Ceramic lined, supposedly non-stick. I like it just because *occasionally* I want a second liner before I've cleaned the first one. And this was cheaper!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICL8M1I

edit: And while we're doing warnings, the official Instant Pot facebook group has a whole page collected, of photos of melted Instant Pot bottoms. People put them on the stove to use them (well, it's an otherwise uncluttered spot to put it, and it has the vent fan above it....) and then somehow/someway the burner gets turned on. Plastic bottom of Instant Pot is melted, exposing all the computer innards. Bad mojo.

Facebook Group motto: never ever ever put the Instant Pot on your stove! That's a rather expensive mistake, if the dog or the SO bumps the burner switch.
In the oven would be OK though, right?
Old 11-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #330
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
In the oven would be OK though, right?
I was thinking the microwave oven.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote