Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
jwlewis
jwlewis began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Sigil-0.8.4 not launching on Windows 7 Professional 32-bit

Sigil-0.8.4 will not display on my Windows 7 Professional 32-bit computer, I have been using Sigil daily and it was working fine. Today it will not launch but does appear as a process in Windows Task Manager. Restart computer did not solve problem. Uninstall Sigil 0.8.4 and reinstall did not solve the problem. Uninstall and reinstall Sigil-0.8.6 did not solve the problem. Any suggestions?
jwlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What software did you recently install or update?

Sounds like the old "incompatible OpenSSL libraries on the system path" problem to me.

Try the Sigil version (the non-legacy one) from this post and see if it makes a difference (the one labeled: Windows 32-bit: Sigil v0.8.6 VS2013/Qt5.4.1-Angle for Vista or higher).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-06-2015 at 06:20 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Maybe a corrupt ini File. Delete the folder sigil-ebook in the AppData/Local folder after backing it up.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
jwlewis

I deleted Sigil and installed the 32-bit non-legacy as DiapDealer suggested. The problem still remains. After launch, Sigil.exe shows as a process in Windows Task Manager (2432K) but does not appear on my display. I had Windows Update on auto the night this happened, so I uninstalled the last two updates. That's the only change made that I can think of. I have a dual boot MackBook Pro. When I launch Sigil 0.8.6 with the EPUB3 plugin, all works fine on the Mac side, so I am not dead in the water. Still I would like to figure out what happened on my Windows 7 Professional 32-bit system.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try installing 0.8.6 for Windows in place of 0.8.4.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
jwlewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeus View Post
Maybe a corrupt ini File. Delete the folder sigil-ebook in the AppData/Local folder after backing it up.
I took your advice and deleted sigil-ebook folder in the AppData/Local folder. Sigil instantly appeared on the screen and now all is well again. It took me a long time to locate that folder as it is hidden in the Users directory.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlewis View Post
I took your advice and deleted sigil-ebook folder in the AppData/Local folder. Sigil instantly appeared on the screen and now all is well again. It took me a long time to locate that folder as it is hidden in the Users directory.
Keep a backup of Sigil.ini, corruption of that has been a problem in times past. Restore that and you usually are good to go again. (no need to remove the entire folder)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thats why i said: back it up. After reinstalling you can copy back piece by piece and see what file was corrupt in the end.

And as the issue isnt resolved having an empty ini file when running two instances of Sigil a back up of this folder is worth to have.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It took me a long time to locate that folder as it is hidden in the Users directory.
Suggestion to developers: Sigil to allow relocation of the %LOCALAPPDATA%\sigil-ebook directory via a Sigil specific environment variable eg SIGIL_CONFIGURATION

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #10
rubeus
Banned

Users having problems to locate the AppData Folder will have problemss too in reconfigure that. Even if they know that this is possible most of them will not change it.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It would be handy for completely separate installations. But I know the current code just leaves the user data location entirely up to Qt on all platforms.

The Portable Apps' version never seems to lag far behind, though; for those who want to maintain separate installations (each with their own configurations).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
It took me a long time to locate that folder as it is hidden in the Users directory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeus View Post
Users having problems to locate the AppData Folder will have problemss too in reconfigure that.
The AppData folder can be easily accessed via the Sigil UI:

Edit > Preferences > Open Preferences Location
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And FWIW, Sigil uses the official location for "Application Support" files for each platform as these are provided by Qt.

Therefore on a Mac Platform this automatically maps to ~/Library/Application Support/.

Of course - the morons at Apple felt in their more recent versions of the OS that it would be dangerous to actually allow poor Granny and Grandpa to see their own Library folder!

I spent over 2 hours trying to explain to my mother (absorbing international phone charges to boot) how to find that folder until I figured out it had been disabled. Talking her through doing:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

in Terminal.app was even worse. I forgot about Go->Go To Folder in the menus.

Even after all of this, according to Qt, these are the correct platform specific places for these types of Application specific support files.

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
rubeus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The AppData folder can be easily accessed via the Sigil UI:

Edit > Preferences > Open Preferences Location
I'm using Sigil since 034 but never noticed this button
Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
null Ψ²

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-10-2015 at 07:56 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote