Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #871
Montana Harper
Zealot
Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone 12, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I rarely do write any reviews myself, so haven't really tested this. But, the only limit I can see in the code is that for the reading progress comments. There might be a limit in the API, but the documentation doesn't mention one. I'll have a play over the weekend and see what is going on.
Thanks!

Quote:
For the progress comments, they aren't stored in the library. They will probably be different for each update, so reading them from a column might not be that useful. But, appending the new comment to an existing one might be the way to go.
That would be lovely, if it could be easily implemented.

For reference, here are the two possibly relevant posts I found from earlier in the thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=797

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=824

I skimmed but didn't read all 57 pages thoroughly, so if I missed something that addresses the issue, I apologize!
Montana Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #872
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Harper View Post
That would be lovely, if it could be easily implemented.
I'll have a look at it. And looking at what is on the goodread site for this, it shows as:

Code:
03/18/2014 	45.0% 
03/18/2014 	45.0% 	"Finished "Grave Peril"."
03/21/2014 	46.0% 	"Started "Summer Knight"."
With a bar chart before the percentage. In this case, I was reading an omnibus and added a comment when I started and finished each book in it. If there was no comment, then it is just the first line.

Would appending a line something like this be the way to go?
Quote:
For reference, here are the two possibly relevant posts I found from earlier in the thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=797

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=824

I skimmed but didn't read all 57 pages thoroughly, so if I missed something that addresses the issue, I apologize!
OK, I remember all those. The only limits mentioned are in creating the review or comments on Goodreads. Downloading them shouldn't have a limit. I'll have to do some experimenting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2016, 03:24 AM   #873
Montana Harper
Zealot
Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Would appending a line something like this be the way to go?
That'd be perfect, thanks!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:50 AM   #874
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Harper View Post
When I try to sync to Calibre from my "read" shelf on Goodreads, my review text is truncated in Calibre, and I can't figure out why.

The custom column I'm using in Calibre is set up as "Long text, like comments, not shown in the tag browser" and I'm not running up against a limit there, as I can type more text in the field manually with no problem. It looks like it's using the 420 character limit instituted for reading progress comments (as mentioned earlier in this thread), but I've definitely got the custom column linked with the "Review text column:" setting in the plugin.
I've had a look at this. The fault is on the Goodreads side. The API they have made available to fetch the review text only returns the first 298 characters of the review. There doesn't seem to be a way to change this. And it seems to have been that way for a while.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #875
Montana Harper
Zealot

Quote:
I've had a look at this. The fault is on the Goodreads side. The API they have made available to fetch the review text only returns the first 298 characters of the review. There doesn't seem to be a way to change this. And it seems to have been that way for a while.
Ah, well. Thank you for looking at it. I guess I'll have to copy my reviews manually, then, if I want to have a back-up of them.
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #876
Teeny
Enthusiast
Teeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle PW 11th
Is there a way to massively link books to Goodreads so that they can be synced FROM Calibre TO GR?

I have more than 2k TBR books that I want to start cleaning out and I'll start by eliminating anything below 3.4-3.5 GR rating, but I can't sync most of those books 'cos it says that books can't be linked to GR, so I need a way to massively link them, though I'm suspecting that the problem is on faulty titles and authors, especially when it comes to PDFs....

any help would be greatly appreciated.

FYI I've put the plugin to draw metadata from GR, so I had calibre downloading them, though I don't know how much help that would be because of the aforementioned faulty titles/authors
Teeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #877
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@Teeny: Not really. I responded to your post in Goodreads plugin thread.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #878
Teeny
Enthusiast
Teeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTeeny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

@kiwidude Is there a way when downloading metadata to download any reviews/ratings the people I follow have left?

I know there's an option for downloading comments but those go to a text file whereas I want the ones only the people I follow made and appear in a column in the main interface
Old 08-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #879
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Firstly, kiwidude is not around much now. I have been doing maintenance and enhancements as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeny View Post
@kiwidude Is there a way when downloading metadata to download any reviews/ratings the people I follow have left?
The plugin does not download reviews or ratings from anyone other than you.
Quote:
I know there's an option for downloading comments but those go to a text file
Are you sure? I can't say I have ever seen this function and as far as I've ever seen, all the data pulled from Goodreads goes into columns in the calibre library.
Quote:
whereas I want the ones only the people I follow made and appear in a column in the main interface
The function can probably be added as I did notice an API function for it. But, it isn't something I'm interested in doing. If you want to do it yourself, I can answer questions and then help to get it released.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:05 AM   #880
Teeny
Enthusiast

@davidfor
The comments in the check list, after searching, meant to be anything on the dust jacket of a book so it isn't what I'm looking for.
As for doing the function myself I'm afraid I have no idea how to go about it or even where to make it or implement it or even check it.... I had to google what API function is :/
Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #881
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeny View Post
@davidfor
The comments in the check list, after searching, meant to be anything on the dust jacket of a book so it isn't what I'm looking for.
I was commenting on you saying "go to a text file". I don't know of anything being written to a text file from the plugin, I didn't know what you meant.
Quote:
As for doing the function myself I'm afraid I have no idea how to go about it or even where to make it or implement it or even check it.... I had to google what API function is :/
It could be the start of a new hobby

And thinking about this, I don't like the idea of this in calibre. You would need to be checking all the books in your library all the time to update the comments from other people. Plus, I think the comments I would be really looking for are on books I didn't own. These wouldn't have a book in the calibre library to store comments against. You are probably better to use he web site for this sort of tracking.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #882
Teeny
Enthusiast

Quote:
I was commenting on you saying "go to a text file". I don't know of anything being written to a text file from the plugin, I didn't know what you meant.

It could be the start of a new hobby

And thinking about this, I don't like the idea of this in calibre. You would need to be checking all the books in your library all the time to update the comments from other people. Plus, I think the comments I would be really looking for are on books I didn't own. These wouldn't have a book in the calibre library to store comments against. You are probably better to use he web site for this sort of tracking.
Right now I'm trimming my book hoard (5000 books and more ) so I use the ratings to go by and anything below 3.3 goes without question but anything above I have to cross check with the GR site, and that's fine if you have a few hundred books but I'm in the thousands and it takes me a whole day to check 20-30 books, so it would have been helpful if I could have the ratings of the 2-3 people I follow (ratings not comments/reviews) to help me choose.

PS: when you configure the metadata there's an option of converting the downloaded comments to plain text, that was what I was referring to and because I didn't remember 100% how it was worded I messed it up
Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #883
kalusyfloozy
kalusyfloozy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
hello... i'm sorry if this is duplicated but if it is, i can't find it.

When i "remove from shelf" in calibre, it removes it from the goodreads shelf but it doesn't remove the tag in my GR shelf column in calibre. What am I doing wrong?
kalusyfloozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #884
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalusyfloozy View Post
hello... i'm sorry if this is duplicated but if it is, i can't find it.

When i "remove from shelf" in calibre, it removes it from the goodreads shelf but it doesn't remove the tag in my GR shelf column in calibre. What am I doing wrong?
You are not doing anything wrong. When removing the book from the Goodread shelf, no changes are made in calibre. There are a set of actions that are taken when you add a book to a shelf, but there are no actions when removing a book.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #885
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Just a little request

First, I love this plug-in! Finally, after some time of having issues, I have gotten it back on and am reloading my books.

I have a quibble or two, change it, or leave it. No big deal, but I wanted to let you know as a user what I think.

The most aggravating but trivial problem I face is that the drop-down menu has the "View Shelf" right in the middle. This means that if I am going to the sync, or link choices, I always end up hitting or running over that "view shelf" which ends up showing me every one of my shelves. Not a huge deal, but I have to hit escape, and then attempt to go again each time it happens. I know it seems like a bitch over nothing, but if I am going to the sync to upload tags as shelves on a number of books, it gets tedious having to continually hit escape and try again.

Long preface to....can you change the "view shelf" to be somewhere less likely to be accidentally activated---above the customize or below the add or remove from shelf?

Also, a suggestion...

It often takes a long time to coordinate the shelves, tags add/sync actions.

Do you know if there is a way to customize the plug in to set up a preset add/default sync instructions that can be applied to all the selected shelves? This would save so much time if I change the shelves or have new shelves. Right now I haven't gotten around to doing anything more than just naming the tags.

If I have to individually input each instruction for add and sync it takes forever---which is a drag when each shelf basically has the same instructions. If there are a total of 4 different combinations I use with the same information only with the tag being different. For a preset the term "tag" could take the place of having to input each tag name, but will still allow customizing. All the other add/sync rules apply, but are just pre-loaded. As long as each preset fulfills the rules and the only thing that is not individually defined is the name of the tag...a block of rules could make up a pre-set named "general add"

Add "tag" to custom column "current calibre bookshelves"
add "tag" to custom column "genre"
Add "Y" to custom column "In GR"
add "Goodreads Date Added" to column "GR Date Added"

When the user goes through the list of shelves all they need to do is add the tag, and then when they go to the rules drop down for sync/add they can select a preset they have already created and named.

Too much to ask? If it is, then no worries, but it was just an idea that I would really like to see. Would definitely be worth donating for.

Regardless, can you please, please fix the drop down to keep from accidentally hitting the view shelf?

Thanks!

Last edited by Rellwood; 08-29-2016 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads