Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2024, 11:36 AM   #1231
getthething
getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know the problem. Kobo used to not scan directories that have a . such as .kobo. Now it does unless you have the config file set to not scan. So screensavers being graphics are scanned and included as content.

The solution is to add to the config...

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)
The config file is in .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf
It looked like this worked at first glance, but it started displaying the images again after syncing with Calibre. Not sure if that is the cause or just a coincidence, but it seemed worth noting.
getthething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:42 PM   #1232
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by getthething View Post
It looked like this worked at first glance, but it started displaying the images again after syncing with Calibre. Not sure if that is the cause or just a coincidence, but it seemed worth noting.
Where are your images located on your Kobo? Also, did you reboot?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:29 PM   #1233
getthething
getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.getthething has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Where are your images located on your Kobo? Also, did you reboot?
Screensaver images are in:

.kobo/screensaver

Yep, I did reboot.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:25 PM   #1234
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If you connect your Kobo to the computer without calibre running, would the database become corrupt? If not, you could check for those files and if they don't exist, eject, run calibre and use NickelMenu to reconnect.
I tried that a while back and without calibre or other SQLite utility trying to access the database, I did not get database corruption. OTOH, my reboot before connecting takes a short enough time so I saw no good reason to follow your suggested multi-connection procedure.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:57 PM   #1235
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When you changed the exclude settings, any files that were in folders that are now excluded should be removed as part of the cleanup.

My setting for ExcludeSyncFolders is the same as the one Jon posted:
Code:
Old 03-25-2024, 07:17 PM   #1236
getthething

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When you changed the exclude settings, any files that were in folders that are now excluded should be removed as part of the cleanup.

Code:
I'm not sure I follow. Do I need to take some action to prevent the images from showing up as books once I've added the exclusion settings?
Old 03-25-2024, 07:18 PM   #1237
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow. Do I need to take some action to prevent the images from showing up as books once I've added the exclusion settings?
They should not show up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM   #1238
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
They should not show up but you should need to re-upload the contents of the screensaver directory.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:54 PM   #1239
getthething

Quote:
They should not show up but you should need to re-upload the contents of the screensaver directory.
Ok so I did a bit of experimenting. The toggle between wallpaper mode and cover art mode works as expected. UNTIL I plug the kobo into my computer while the kobo is in cover art mode. I don't even have to do anything. Just simply plug it in and then eject it.

If I do that, the screensaver images will show up under My Books with an unknown author and the name of the file as the book title. It doesn't do that if I connect to my computer when the kobo is in wallpaper mode.

It also does the exact same thing with my girlfriend's kobo.

Prior to trying all that, I had deleted the screensaver images from the screensaver folder and then moved them back.

Edit to add: If I connect to the computer and eject when the kobo is in wallpaper mode, it either removes the images from My Books or, oddly, it just replaced the "My Books" section on the homescreen with "Coming soon to audiobooks"

Last edited by getthething; 03-25-2024 at 09:07 PM. Reason: adding additional info
Old 03-25-2024, 09:13 PM   #1240
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
I tried that a while back and without calibre or other SQLite utility trying to access the database, I did not get database corruption. OTOH, my reboot before connecting takes a short enough time so I saw no good reason to follow your suggested multi-connection procedure.
I'd still like calibre support for this.

Normal workflow would be

reboot kobo
connect usb
sync calibre

or, occasionally

forget to reboot kobo
connect usb
calibre detects wal file(s) and gives a warning dialog and ejects before opening database
reboot kobo and reconnect usb ...
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:31 PM   #1241
kenpal
kenpal began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
I can't uninstall nickel from my kobo. I posted a few minutes ago and David recommended I post here. I just tried again (installing nickel then adding a blank 'uninstall' file) and it's still there after rebooting. I've already tried factory reseting and just deleting the file from the kobo. Any ideas?
kenpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:42 PM   #1242
DNSB
Bibliophagist

As mentioned in my previous message, did you try the manual factory reset?
Old 03-25-2024, 09:49 PM   #1243
kenpal

Quote:
As mentioned in my previous message, did you try the manual factory reset?
yep, it just won't restart no matter how long I hold the buttons
Old 03-25-2024, 10:47 PM   #1244
kenpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpal View Post
yep, it just won't restart no matter how long I hold the buttons
5th times the charm I guess! I finally got it off after trying the manual reset a few times. thanks <3
Old 03-28-2024, 05:18 PM   #1245
getthething

Quote:

Code:
I re-read all the posts and I *think* I understand that you're saying any images that were in the screensaver folder and moved into "My Books" will need to be deleted from "my books" since they were moved BEFORE I added the exclusion settings? Is that correct?

The images showing up under "My Books" are in: /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old so I deleted them all from there. I then switched back to wallpaper mode and then reimported my screensaver images into .kobo/screensaver/ (this folder was empty at this point)

However they're still showing up under my books whenever I switch to cover art mode and then plug my kobo into my computer.

If it matters:
macOS 14.4.1
Libra 2
4.38.21908 firmware
All images are jpeg

To give you a tidy list of actions I'm taking that result in the images being imported as books:
  1. Exclusion regex is currently saved in the config file
  2. Plug Kobo into Mac, load images into screensaver folder
  3. Eject Kobo
  4. Screensavers work as expected
  5. Toggle to cover art mode
  6. Cover art mode works as expected (switching back to wallpaper mode works as expected too)
  7. Plug into Mac again (in cover art mode still)
  8. Eject Kobo
  9. Kobo displays "importing content" as if I'd loaded new books
  10. Screensaver images are in "My Books"

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel