Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-23-2022, 09:42 PM   #16
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition and Samsung 10.1 tablet
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why not try installing a very old version of calibre 2 portable, add the plugin to it, make a brand new library using portable and try that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
can you recommend a better viewer for djvu files on windows?

windjview (removed link since malware is detected from Windows Security)

on my android tablet the best vewier is pocketbook app , and using pocketbooks cloud you can upload the djvu, for windows these days I would just installed pocketbook in windows subsystem for android with the builds from here if that helps anyone else at this point.

https://github.com/MustardChef/WSABuilds

windows 11

and for android on windows 10

https://github.com/Lyxot/WSAOnWin10

Pocketbook image is a open book in DJVU format that I had uploaded to my pocketbook cloud converted that one a long time ago from pdf to DJVU and as you can see you can read them with this method on windows 11.

when from playstore install pocketbook in windows or play books for normal ebooks for viewing it, thats about the best so far I can run under windows with subsystem for android.

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 02-13-2024 at 07:42 PM. Reason: (removed link since malware is detected from Windows Security) and updated info about viewering them.
KindleAZWorKFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:20 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorry I have no interest or knowledge of djvu so can't recommend anything

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:45 PM   #18
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Sorry I have no interest or knowledge of djvu so can't recommend anything

ok, thanks I am going to try to print to djvu format, I found this

https://code-industry.net/print-to-djvu/

this maybe shareware and not freeware which is why print to djvu may not work well unless I can find a freeware title for doing the same thing. it looks like its making a 655MB sized printed pdf into djvu format not good, unless I can print them smaller thats not good for a ebook file maybe its the software title thats the problem.

it seems I should be able to load the epub from calibre that I converted into pdf file, open it with microsoft edge, and print the output to djvu format

of course it may still lose the author information but I guess that can't be helped , I am think thats the same djvu format they use for ebooks so I don't think it should be any problem not to ouput or print it to a djvu format from the converted pdf with page number I used calibre options for pdf to customized it, in any case thanks again for reply back my other option is to try to get pdf to djvu gui to work but I am not sure if I should set it to 150 dpi or keep it on default of 300 dpi settings, otherwise I think printing the pdf loaded into microsoft edge should work better.
it would be good to have a editor that say could take the djvu format and edit the author information back into a printed djvu file, but I don't know if thats possible yet or not.

again thanks for reply back on this topic.

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 01-23-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:27 AM   #19
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur

I found a newer program from 2019,

https://sourceforge.net/projects/djvuspecpdf2djv/

it has more features than the
this one
http://www.trustfm.net/software/util...fToDjvuGUI.php

also found another djvu viewer this pdf reader supports djvu files, will keep looking for better viewers for windows when I have the time to do so.
windjview (removed link since malware is detected from Windows Security)
https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/dow...ree-pdf-viewer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/koodo-reader/

this one would work better maybe it can get a plugin for calibre in the future, I used microsoft edge to convert the few details of the project into english for some reason not all on that page was in english for it. the program itself seems to be showing another language in the interface, may have to try some of the portable versions to get a english interface on windows 11, it looks like its a bug that causes that,

I went into the directory for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Djvu-Spec\Pdf 2 Djvu Converter\"
and found the p2d.ini file deleted it now
Djvu-Spec Pdf 2 Djvu Converter is in english, it's a simple fix, for some reason its p2d.ini file is all messed up, also you can go into the Djvu-Spec Pdf 2 Djvu Converter in its about screen select english thats the other way to change it from russian to english, still I think it would make a helpfully plugin for calibre getting better djvu support for that type of ebooks in the future maybe, if anyone feels like making a plugin that works with it.
one thing is that pdf2djvu was built without OpenMP support for windows, think we need one with openmp support for multi core processors

Quote:
DjVu is a good format to distribute documents and books. DjVu need no fonts, support text layer and outline. With Djvu-Spec Pdf2Djvu Converter you can easy convert pdf to djvu.
Portable version - link "Files"

Features
Easy point'n'click changing options.
All pdf2djvu options used.
Set of options can be stored as "profile".
Autosave of last applied options (profile «Last start»).
Support command line (convert pdf from explorer's «Open with»).
Autoname of target djvu
Transfer all available pdf data.
User-friendly graphical interface for selecting conversion settings.
Implemented almost all the features of the converter pdf2djvu
Ability to save conversion settings as profiles
Saving application settings (profile "Last start").
Support for launching from the command line (you can use the command "Open with help" to start converting a file).
The output djvu name is automatically generated.
Migrate a table of contents, a text layer, hyperlinks, and metadata.
where I found the win32 for pdf2djvu without gui software is below, as of written this its current version is 0.9.18.2 released on 2021-11-22

http://jwilk.net/software/pdf2djvu

https://github.com/jwilk/pdf2djvu/re...n32-0.9.18.zip

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 02-13-2024 at 07:10 PM. Reason: (removed link since malware is detected from Windows Security)
Old 02-13-2024, 06:58 PM   #20
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur

Exclamation WinDjView-2.1 is not safe to use for viewing DJVU files anymore, malware is detected

on the subject of windjview.sourceforge.net

I would not run it until its cleared but if it has malware in it now, windows security and the reviewers on its page, makes it sound like its no longer safe to use, I shared that site a long time ago, I wanted to update info on this since my Windows Security has detected this on it. it could be a false postive type detection but if its not since a lot of the reviewers are saying it has russian based malware in it now on sourceforge website page.

Also created a report on Feedback hub about this problem here on windows 11 https://aka.ms/AAp44r2

https://ibb.co/CwsHkvH screenshot is from what it detects in that software on windows 11 something called PUA:Win32/Vigua.A is detected in

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 02-13-2024 at 07:07 PM. Reason: my windows pc is telling me that this WinDjView is not safe to use anymore.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:39 PM   #21
RogueScholar
RogueScholar began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Noble Nook HD+
Coming from a background in I.T. and within that some infosec, let me see if I can expand on the nature of this alert so that readers can make a more informed decision about whether it's worth avoiding the application over.

The threat signature detected identifies the security concern as the presence of a code snippet with a known vulnerability. Based on its origin on SourceForge, this is likely a byproduct from bundling of a piece of software known as the "Naver Toolbar" with the underlying WinDjView installer. Naver is a legitimate South Korean software company that's best known currently for their web browser, Whale, not some hacker group. The concern is not so much its presence at all in the installer package (SF only bundles fairly garden-variety adware from what I have seen, though I have no first-hand experience with this exact "flavor" or its removal process) but more precisely the version of it that's present. Versions prior to v4.0.30.323, which was released sometime in 2021, contained vulnerable code that allowed remote code execution which was confirmed to have been removed/replaced in the version mentioned above.

While the vulnerability is not insignificant, allowing an attacker to launch another script or program on your computer without your knowledge, the attack surface for it is pretty small in scope. To take advantage of this vulnerability, an attacker needs you to download an update.xml file (or visit a web page which loads such a file) with certain malformed characters in the contents of its name field, which crash the toolbar in such a way that the program will then respond to remote instructions. While that would indeed be nigh-calamitous, I would tend to believe that this would only be a major concern for people who are prone to visiting malicious websites in the first place, as few people I know will voluntarily download a file named update.xml absent a good reason from a trusted source.

Another valuable clue to evaluating this is the presence of "PUA" in the threat signature shown: PUA:Win32/Vigua.A. PUA is an acronym for "Potentially Unwanted Application" and is not considered a standalone virus, malware, or other type of threat, only that it matches a heuristic that is designed to detect that an application does unwanted behavior, which 90% of the time is displaying ads somewhere so someone else can make a dime. If it follows the same pattern as other SourceForge downloads I've handled, it was possible to deselect a checkbox in the installation wizard to decline the installation of the bundled software (Naver Toolbar, in this case) which behaved honestly and resulted in only the original package being added to the system with none of the bundle. Following the same process during the installation of WinDjView should likewise leave no cause for concern.

Naver has had more than their share of reported vulnerabilities, but they do report them publicly and patch them quickly once reported or discovered. You can see their page on this one here. My gut tells me this is just a company trying to carve out a niche in a tough market segment and through some combination of understaffing, low pay or just unrealistic expectations, often succumbs to release sloppy code. If I had a spare Windows instance to test the installer on I gladly would, but I've been a Linux user on all my personal computers for many years.

I hope people don't avoid the DjVu file format altogether based solely on this. I've always thought it was a nifty file format with a unique set of advantages that languished unnecessarily only because Adobe had a lot more money at the time of its introduction and used it to ensure that their PDF standard remained dominant. If such a thing as a free marketplace was able to exist, and had back then, it wouldn't surprise me if we all had a few .djvu files kicking around on our hard drives amongst the PDFs, along with some ubiquitous reader software installed to open them. I always have the DjVuLibre suite and DjView4 viewer installed on my computers and can attest to their trustworthiness, though not how well their Windows versions function.

This concludes tonight's InfoSec Evening Report, and we return you now to your regularly scheduled reading.

Last edited by RogueScholar; 04-14-2024 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Fix wink emoji at conclusion of post
RogueScholar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu pdf conversion