Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-14-2024, 10:01 PM   #1
nixR3ad
Enthusiast
nixR3ad began at the beginning.

Device: Sage / rm2
Best practices for using a Kobo?

I recently decided it's in my best interest to use Koreader for all the books on my Kobo, not just PDFs.

I still use the Kobo device profile and plugin/driver on Calibre when managing files on the device. The only difference is the send-to-device template I created to compensate for a mostly file manager-based lookup.

I just removed all the device's files to re-export with the new template I believe it should work
https://www.mobileread.com/fhttps://...d.php?t=358343

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using Calibre's Kobo utilities? The Koreader sync plugin says it's one-way. How should I manage the Calibre metadata that Koreader uses? I make frequent metadata changes to my library, and I've become a heavy highlight/note creator. I don't use kepub anymore.
nixR3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:45 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixR3ad View Post
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using Calibre's Kobo utilities?
Works perfectly fine, as long as you let Nickel scan your Library (i.e., either handle USBMS solely via Nickel, or if you use KOReader's USBMS tool, drop into Nickel and run a scan via NickelMenu) so the Kobo driver actually groks what the hell is on your device (as it bases that judgement solely on the Nickel db).

If, on the other hand, you've actually disabled the Kobo driver, then that plugin doesn't make much sense anymore.

Quote:
The Koreader sync plugin says it's one-way.
Absolutely no experience with that. May invalidate part of the above, depending on which way we're talking about ;p.

Quote:
How should I manage the Calibre metadata that Koreader uses?
You don't? The calibre plugin will pick up new things if it the metadata cache looks stale.

Quote:
I make frequent metadata changes to my library
Barring whatever the plugin I have no experience with does, you need to respin & resend the actual files themselves and then refresh metadata manually from the FM for KOReader to pick it up. (Speaking about what's displayed in the FM, here, not the calibre plugin).

----

All of the above assumes Send-To-Device over *USB*. Wireless is another kettle of fish.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-14-2024 at 10:50 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:53 AM   #3
nixR3ad
Enthusiast
nixR3ad began at the beginning.

Device: Sage / rm2
Thank you. I started using the wireless connect, and it's just as efficient if not more so than USB.
nixR3ad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo, metadata, sync