Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-17-2024, 07:16 AM   #1
raafayawan
raafayawan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Display Notes on Kobo

Is there a way to display the "notes" saved for series, author etc in my Kobo comment section? If yes, how can I do that? some help would be really appreciated..thanks!
raafayawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 07:30 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raafayawan View Post
Is there a way to display the "notes" saved for series, author etc in my Kobo comment section? If yes, how can I do that? some help would be really appreciated..thanks!
You can do this with a metadata plugboard. The template would append the note(s) you want to the existing comment using the get_notes() template function. I don't know if you will need to use the plain text version of the notes or whether the Kobo synopsis supports HTML.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:41 AM   #3
raafayawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You can do this with a metadata plugboard. The template would append the note(s) you want to the existing comment using the get_notes() template function. I don't know if you will need to use the plain text version of the notes or whether the Kobo synopsis supports HTML.
Thank you so much, can you please give me an idea what code exactly would I be using? Because from what I have tried, as a test, the text on Kobo says Plugboard Template Error: the function get_note can be used only in the GUI...

Last edited by raafayawan; 01-17-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:55 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raafayawan View Post
Thank you so much, can you please give me an idea what code exactly would I be using? Because from what I have tried, as a test, the text on Kobo says Plugboard Template Error: the function get_note can be used only in the GUI...
Ah yes, I forgot that plugboard templates don't have access to the database because they run as part of device integration. In this case the solution is:
  • Create a "Column built from other columns" without "behaves like tags". Use whatever lookup name and title you want.
  • Don't check the box "Show in tag browser"
  • The template for this column builds the text you want appended to the comments for the current book, using the get_notes() function as needed.
    Perhaps something like this if using HTML:
    Code:
    program: 
    # Assume notes from the first author. If all authors then a loop is required.
    	auth_notes = get_note('authors', sublist($authors, 0, 1, '&'), '');
    	series_notes = get_note('series', $series, '');

ans = '';
    	if auth_notes then
    		ans = $author & ' notes<br>' & auth_notes & '<br>'
    	fi;
    	if series_notes then
    		ans = ans & $series & ' notes<br>' & series_notes
    	fi
    Use the Template tester to check that the template is giving you what you want.
  • Check "contains HTML" if you are not using plain-text notes.
  • To avoid performance problems don't show this column in the book list. You might want to show it in book details to ensure it contains what you wish, removing it once you are sure.

Once you have the column created and showing what you wish, create a plugboard for "comments" with a template that combines the existing comment and the contents of the column created above. Something like
Code:
{comments}<br>{#lookup_name}
should work if using HTML, otherwise something like:
Code:
program: $comments & character('newline') & $#lookup_name
The above depends on what the Kobo does with comments. Is HTML accepted? Are newlines honored? I don't know.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:56 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
The above depends on what the Kobo does with comments. Is HTML accepted? Are newlines honored? I don't know.
HTML accepted: Yes. Newlines honored? No clue as I transfer HTML code and newline has no meaning there.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:00 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
HTML accepted: Yes. Newlines honored? No clue as I transfer HTML code and newline has no meaning there.
Thanks.

@raafayawan: you might need to combine the comments and the notes inside <div> </div> tags to be sure the Kobo does the right processing.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:41 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Thanks.

@raafayawan: you might need to combine the comments and the notes inside <div> </div> tags to be sure the Kobo does the right processing.
Just for clarification, this is my plugboard for comments:

Code:
{#star:|<div>Rating: |</div><hr/>}{#sse:|<div><b>Second series:</b> |</div>}{#tse:|<div><b>Third series:</b> |</div>}{tags:|<div><b>Genre:</b> |</div>}{#par:|<div><b>Elem Param:</b> |</div>}{#p_g:|<div><b>Pages:</b> |</div>}{#des:|<div><b>Challenges:</b> |</div>}{#tex_subdes:|<div>|</div>}<hr/>{#com_htm}
And it look like this image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Libro.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	205857  
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:52 PM   #8
raafayawan

Thank you so much guys, I am gonn try it now and get back to you!
Old 01-17-2024, 07:30 PM   #9
raafayawan

Quote:
Ah yes, I forgot that plugboard templates don't have access to the database because they run as part of device integration. In this case the solution is:
  • Create a "Column built from other columns" without "behaves like tags". Use whatever lookup name and title you want.
  • Don't check the box "Show in tag browser"
  • The template for this column builds the text you want appended to the comments for the current book, using the get_notes() function as needed.
    Perhaps something like this if using HTML:
    Code:
    program: 
    # Assume notes from the first author. If all authors then a loop is required.
    	auth_notes = get_note('authors', sublist($authors, 0, 1, '&'), '');
    	series_notes = get_note('series', $series, '');

ans = '';
    	if auth_notes then
    		ans = $author & ' notes<br>' & auth_notes & '<br>'
    	fi;
    	if series_notes then
    		ans = ans & $series & ' notes<br>' & series_notes
    	fi
    Use the Template tester to check that the template is giving you what you want.
  • Check "contains HTML" if you are not using plain-text notes.
  • To avoid performance problems don't show this column in the book list. You might want to show it in book details to ensure it contains what you wish, removing it once you are sure.

Once you have the column created and showing what you wish, create a plugboard for "comments" with a template that combines the existing comment and the contents of the column created above. Something like
Code:
{comments}<br>{#lookup_name}
should work if using HTML, otherwise something like:
Code:
program: $comments & character('newline') & $#lookup_name
It worked ABSOLUTELY perfect!!!!!

Tags
calibre, kobo, notes