Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
BongoBong
Enthusiast
BongoBong is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Go To Page function ever coming to original Kobo?

As the title suggests I was wondering if the go to page function will be coming to the original kobo at any time?

I have had the original kobo since it was released and I haven't really been keeping up with the firmware updates to it as I have really only wanted to read books on it with no need of special functions. I am getting a smartphone soon though and I want to do reading on it as well as on my kobo. But since turning the page for large number of pages is a big pain, I am really hoping that the go to function gets to the original kobo (from looking around it seems like the wifi version has received this function so I would have to think its not that hard to add to the original.)

Just hoping they don't forget about all the early buyers and get this simple but extremely useful function for us!
BongoBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would like to see it on the Literati as well. It was upgraded to the latest firmware but this function is missing on that device.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Given that the Kobo Touch has been announced I think we might not see any more firmware upgrades for the original Kobo as they're now onto their third generation of Kobo.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Given that the Kobo Touch has been announced I think we might not see any more firmware upgrades for the original Kobo as they're now onto their third generation of Kobo.
In the Kobo GetSatisfaction forum a Kobo rep indicated that they were continuing development of features on the first 2 versions of the Kobo. Not sure how far they can/will go (esp on the original Kobo) due to hardware limitations, but they at least they are indicating they aren't abandoning them.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
In the Kobo GetSatisfaction forum a Kobo rep indicated that they were continuing development of features on the first 2 versions of the Kobo. Not sure how far they can/will go (esp on the original Kobo) due to hardware limitations, but they at least they are indicating they aren't abandoning them.
Well that's a very welcome sign!

I don't want much more for my original Kobo, but a goto page function and a close book function would be great.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I agree. I want those small tweaks (goto page, close book, etc) so that I can keep using (and enjoying) my original Kobo until it dies a natural death. I'm not interested in a touch screen and I'm still not interested in wifi.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
BongoBong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Thanks for the info. Great to hear they won't abandon us quite yet!

Hopefully some of the features they put on the wifi version can be ported over easily to the original.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
BongoBong
Enthusiast

woops, repost
Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
stocksa
John
stocksa doesn't litterstocksa doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
I am afraid we are the forgotten ones....I won't be holding my breath for updates for K1 I am still happy with my Kobo though
stocksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
moffattm
Addict

I think all they need to do is add a goto page function and a close book function to the original Kobo. Then they can pretty much close the book on the Kobo 1 because I don't expect the hardware to be able to handle much more.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
catiebug
catiebug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android, Sharper Image Literati, Sony PRS T-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would like to see it on the Literati as well. It was upgraded to the latest firmware but this function is missing on that device.
I agree. I often find myself flipping from my laptop to my Literati after reading several chapters on the laptop, and a Go To Page feature would be helpful. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult - assign it to the "p" button on the keyboard, or put it in the menu under the Table of Contents...

(I would also like to see some sort of web-browser on my Literati (I have no use for the wifi otherwise), but I won't be holding my breath for that!)
catiebug is offline   Reply With Quote