Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
donoharm
donoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW1 - jailbroken
Where do you buy your ebooks?

So I have a new ereader en route to my house, but it's not a nook/kobo/kindle, so it does not have an "attached" store. Can I still buy from places like amazon and upload the file to my ereader? Where do you all buy your ebooks?
donoharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoharm View Post
Can I still buy from places like amazon and upload the file to my ereader?
In general, no (see below) it's not that simple. Unless your device runs Android and you can install the Kindle app. What device & what formats it supports are important to know.

Well, you can buy them, but in general you'd need to convert them (first removing the DRM if there is any). The exception would be if any of the books you buy are in azw format (not azw3, tpz, etc) and your device supports old Mobi. As long as you're willing to convert then there's no reason you can't buy from Amazon, plenty of people do.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I prefer to buy books directly from the source. First I look to publisher's web store, if not, I I use Kobo's store from e-Reader.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
All of the major ebook vendors (Kobo, B&N, Amazon, Apple) require a proprietary app to run on your OS (android or Windows, etc.). Not a problem if you have an Android tablet or a Windows PC.

If you have web access, Amazons Cloud Reader (read.amazon.com) is pretty decent and runs on most fairly recent browsers but does not allow you to download a book file to move to another reader.

If you have an eink reader that reads generic epubs or mobis, I would recommend Smashwords.com -- they seem to have the largest selection around (outside of the majors) and do not require a proprietary app -- you can just buy and download. None of the books have DRM.

WeightlessBooks.com is also good, although selection is more limited, but lots of really good small press publishers -- heavy emphasis on sci-fi and fantasy, although not limited to that.

I am a fan (and customer) of several boutique ebook shops, again heavily weighted towards sci-fi and fantasy because that is my preference:

BookViewCafe.com, RobotTradingCompany.com, RebellionStore.com, DriveThruFiction.com

Hope this helps.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
All of the major ebook vendors (Kobo, B&N, Amazon, Apple) require a proprietary app to run on your OS (android or Windows, etc.). Not a problem if you have an Android tablet or a Windows PC.
For Kobo you do not necessarily need a Kobo app or desktop software.
Kobo also offers plain epub files for download. The download link is present in the library of your Kobo account. These can be viewed in ADE or any reader that supports epub and is authorized by ADE. To move the books to a (Kobo) device: a simple drag and drop will do.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Kobo also offers plain epub files for download.
Except for when they don't.

Sometimes the alternate download is a PDF or the book is kePub only and there is not alternate download.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote