Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Rusherman
Rusherman began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre ebook reader
Help with formating the Title Please

I hope I am in the proper forum. If not please tell me.
Meanwhile I found Calibre a few months ago and found it to be the best at converting large numbers of files. The only problem I have is it mangles the Author Title from the way my library is set up. I want to use the filename
"Author - Title" to name the file while converting. I have had no luck and this so far. I have changed the adding books section of the options to get it close but no fully working. I am getting "Author - Title chopped off - Unknown. I could easily remove the - Unknown but would still have to redo each title. The more I read on regular expressions the more confused I get on them. Could anyone explain to to set this program so that converting a book from the file name would keep it all intact and not add the " - Unknown at the end of the file. Sorry for such a long post on what is likely a simple problem.
Rusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It would be better to ask this in the calibre forum.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
It would be better to ask this in the calibre forum.
It was moved to the right place.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-09-2010 at 11:21 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
Rusherman

Thank you for moving the thread.

Thanks for moving this to the correct forum.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #5
Rusherman

I sort of understand what Calbire does with the original file and that is fine. My goal with my books is to convert them to three or four other formats. I read the same book on several ebook readers and computer systems. those formats such as Rtf, Txt, and irf should use the title from the original file name. I move these over to the readers by hand or by the readers own software and I don't want the filename mangled by Calibre before I do this. It is the converted books that I want to stay true to the file name. Until I get this out I have to use three or four different converters to do the job for me. I use one for doc and rtf, one for pdf, one for pdb and one for lit.
I like the way calibre handles all the conversion but it takes me to long to correct the converted file names before I can start installing them. I am not sure if that is what is meant by looking under the hood. I lean way more to the conversions for my needs and not so much to the library benefits.
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusherman View Post
I like the way calibre handles all the conversion but it takes me to long to correct the converted file names before I can start installing them. I am not sure if that is what is meant by looking under the hood. I lean way more to the conversions for my needs and not so much to the library benefits.
You really do things the hard way don't you. Once the book(s) are converted there are a few ways to export them from calibre and give them any name you want during the export.

Save to Disk use the Save template under Preferences - Saving books to disk to configure the file name you wish on output.

With either the Send to Device or the Connect to Folder feature use the Save template under Preferences - Sending books to devices to configure the file name you wish on output.

Check here for more information on creating templates.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
Rusherman

Thank you Dwanthny. I don't think I like doing things the hard way. At least not on purpose. I know every byte and every sector on all my computers, tablets, ebooks ect. I do not hand over control to any multi-purpose software on faith it will do what is good for me. Thank you for the advice about using the copy setup to change the file names. I had set it up before but thought that it worked with convert when it wrote the new files to disk. I was wrong on that.

Now I have made a little program that moves the different conversions after they have been copied, to the proper directories for future reading or installing. I have over 21000 files (mostly essays, pamphlets, legal documents ect. and I do like to know where they are for reading and editing. With your advice they now all have the proper filename.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusherman View Post
Thank you Dwanthny.
~
With your advice they now all have the proper filename.
You're welcome, I'm glad you worked it out to your satisfaction.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file name, formating title