Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #1
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Strange offers from Amazon US

I often get recommendations from Amazon, because I have asked for them.
But quite often I get offers that are somewhat strange.
Here is an example.

The book is Sullivans "Heir Of Novron: The Riyria Revelations"
It is the third installment of a trilogy where I have almost finished the first 2.
The price of $0.0 is of course tempting so I click, but now the price is $9.39 (including 25% Danish VAT).
It is not the first time I experience this and the offer is always the next book in a series that I am reading.

Have some of you experienced this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-2019 11-00-14.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	175509  
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Prices in Amazon emails are almost always for the US site. That's why it's important to log in to the correct Amazon site that you shop from, as that's when you'll see the correct price for your location.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It's a lot more expensive at the US site and of course that's without VAT, too.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:47 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Prices in Amazon emails are almost always for the US site. That's why it's important to log in to the correct Amazon site that you shop from, as that's when you'll see the correct price for your location.
The only place I can buy Kindle ebooks is on the US site. If I accidentally is directed to say the UK site I am immediately told that I cannot buy ebooks here and is then directed to the US-site.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:57 AM   #5
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's a lot more expensive at the US site and of course that's without VAT, too.
My prices at the US site are always including Danish VAT.
It is a little difficult to search for books by Mr Sullivan, because he started as an indie and later used a publisher so you may have found something else.

The link I received in the letter:is here

You will probably see the price without Danish VAT.
Advert
Old 12-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
That link takes me to exactly the same page I checked, which shows a price of US$11.99. I'm already signed into Amazon, but even if I open the link in a private browser, the price is the same.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
The prices in offers are usually the nominal US price. Which is sometimes substantially different than the Amazon page you buy through - if you are not in the U.S.

I also see other types of offers pop up trying to induce a sale. Usually get x disccount if you buy y item. And have found that the promised discount often fails to follow. It turns out that the small print in the terms & conditions often spells out that only certain people or situations qualify for the offer. Despite the fact that Amazon puts the offer in front of you to induce a sale. And nothing is said about the caveats anywhere other than the in the "Learn more" link. So always click on the T&C link. Or ignore the offers outright.

And don't get me started on Amazon's default of spamming email boxes or the failure to stop even after being asked several times to desist.

Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Jon:

What's the reading order on ALL of Michael J. Sullivan's books?

(Anyone can choose to answer this question.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
And don't get me started on Amazon's default of spamming email boxes or the failure to stop even after being asked several times to desist.
Really? I can't remember the last time I got an unsolicited email from Amazon to my registered email address. Once I turned off all of the promotional email options for my account, I stopped getting them immediately. Now I only get order and shipping confirmations emailed to me. Are you sure you're turning them off in the right place?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
My prices at the US site are always including Danish VAT.
It is a little difficult to search for books by Mr Sullivan, because he started as an indie and later used a publisher so you may have found something else.

The link I received in the letter:is here

You will probably see the price without Danish VAT.
Here is the link for Sullivan's books on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Michael-J-Sullivan/e/B002BOJ41O
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Jon:

What's the reading order on ALL of Michael J. Sullivan's books?

(Anyone can choose to answer this question.)
One of these URLs may be the answer.

http://riyria.blogspot.com/p/series.html or https://mythbank.com/riyria-reading-order/

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-11-2019 at 06:49 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:55 AM   #12
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Once I turned off all of the promotional email options for my account, I stopped getting them immediately. Now I only get order and shipping confirmations emailed to me.
Same with me, although awhile back I was getting truckloads of spam from look-alike domains that were spelled almost like Amazon, but not quite. If someone wasn't paying attention they could have been mistaken for Amazon emails. I finally set up an email filtering rule on the wrong spelling and that killed them. I only get order and shipping confirmations, no junk.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:49 AM   #13
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are you sure you're turning them off in the right place?
Customer service? Rather than guess whether I found all of the automatically opted-in to spam settings, I called Amazon (three times) and asked them to stop spamming me.

The first two calls clearly changed nothing (great service, Amazon). On the third call, I had it escalated to a manager and Amazon may have finally turned off the spam i.e. they seem to have finally done so but it's too early to be certain.

Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:41 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No guessing necessary. The email settings are in one single location in your account settings. But I see you were determined to do things the hard way.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote