Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
ellipses, with or without spaces?

How do you guys handle ellipses?

I find the ones provided by the entity/fonts are too closely spaced; it hardly looks like an ellipsis to me. That could be because I'm used to seeing the three periods separated by full spaces. And if I do use them then using full spaces before or after makes them look even more squashed.

At the moment I'm trying a sequence of: thin non-breaking space, dot, thin non-breaking space, dot, thin non-breaking space, dot, thin space. I.e., thin non breaking space before each dot and the last one followed by a thin space. I'm using a non-breaking thin space at the beginning because the book I'm working on uses ellipses for a pause so I don't want it to be at the beginning of a line.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Hmph. The Kobo doesn't display those thin non-breaking spaces properly, just little rectangles with question marks in them.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
A safe bet is just 3 dots in a row. No space. This still looks better that the single digit ellipse. Of course use 4 dots if the ellipse ends a sentence.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Hmph. The Kobo doesn't display those thin non-breaking spaces properly, just little rectangles with question marks in them.
You need to sideload and use a better font which actually contains those "special" space glyphs. It sounds like the font you're currently using doesn't have them.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
See these 2 topics for extremely detailed discussion:

break/no-break and other spaces
[old thread] non breaking spaces (* and *) automatically removed

I also believe I referenced a Jellby post where he discusses all the ins-and-outs of when to attach ellipses before/after with non-breaking spaces (IIRC there were at least 5 different cases you'll run across).

Quote:
I find the ones provided by the entity/fonts are too closely spaced; it hardly looks like an ellipsis to me.
... I stick with individual periods with non-breaking spaces between:

Code:
Example of a 4-dot ellipsis. . . .
I work on many books with 4+-dot ellipses, and it was the only consistent way to deal with them in ebooks.

It also is the only way that consistently:
  • works across devices/readers/programs
  • actually prevents line-breaking
  • works on all fonts

And like was already mentioned, using rarer spaces is probably going to get you the blank squares or ? to appear everywhere.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-02-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
A true elipsis is a single character. They do often seem overly narrow to eyes used to seeing the three periods cheat. If you use 3 periods, they should not have spaces between them. Personally, when I use the cheat and it ends a sentence, I prefer to separate then period following the elipsis with a space, thin space when using a decent typographic system and targeting print output.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
If you use 3 periods, they should not have spaces between them.
Look at Post #12 in the topic above where I used some different fonts on MobileRead. You can see the inconsistency in ellipsis spacing in different fonts.

When readers are fully in control of font selection... you can see where issues could arise.

Quote:
A true elipsis is a single character. They do often seem overly narrow to eyes used to seeing the three periods cheat.
Mostly why many typographers cheat and insert THIN SPACEs between periods.

That hack works in InDesign and other visual-only output, but that's a no-go in ebooks.

Quote:
Personally, when I use the cheat and it ends a sentence, I prefer to separate then period following the elipsis with a space, thin space when using a decent typographic system and targeting print output.
If you see one of the Post #48 references I made in the topic, you can see when I tested the linebreaking of the normal THIN SPACE character and its inconsistency across programs.

Sadly, you'll still run into many cases where the previous character could get broken from the attached punctuation.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-02-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I still follow the information from this old thread to create "handmade" ellipses.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=HELLIP

Granted, I am pretty much only working with vintage books, and the modern glyph often just does not look right there. Purely a personal preference.

I also get annoyed that in some fonts, unless you have super-excellent eyesight (which I do not) the ellipsis glyph is so narrow that it is almost indistinguishable from an underscore!

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 06-02-2019 at 11:11 PM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #9
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
PS --- RbnJrg posted a solution to prevent trailing ellipses and em dashes and other punctuation from breaking off as orphans onto a separate line.
See Post # 17 on this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=NOWRAP&page=2

CSS:
Code:
.nowrap {
    text-indent: 0;
    display: inline-block;
}
This span is useful for end-of-line for poetry. Also for dialogue, if you have a ton ending with em dash --- it is so annoying to lose the em dash with closing quote mark onto a new line.

But you should not use the span on long words, as it prevents hyphenation, and might cause large gaps along the right-hand margin.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:18 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
"display: inline-block" used to be outside the ePub 2 specification, and not supported by some readers. I don't know what's the status now, but I wouldn't rely on it.

My preferred (possibly outdated) solutions:

In English: . . . (adding extra   on the side depending on the surrounding punctuation.)

In Spanish: ... (because that's the correct typesetting of an ellipsis in Spanish, got to love its simplicity )
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #11
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I'm a wee bit puzzled here. If it's an ellipsis, well, then use an ellipsis, at least if you're producing epubs for others than yourself or commercially. The reader will probably have his own font-preferences, and some of the solutions here will look somewhat out of proportion in certain fonts, to my eye at least.

Not to mention that screenreaders probably won't recognize dot-space-dot-space-dot or whatever as an ellipsis …

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Not to mention that screenreaders probably won't recognize dot-space-dot-space-dot or whatever as an ellipsis …
I agree. I listen to books using text-to-speech quite often. Early in my ebook experience I realised that 'dot dot dot' was all too often read aloud as 'dot dot dot'. It sounded like the book was being narrated by a woodpecker! I've been making sure that all my books use proper ellipses ever since.

Of course if you're only producing books for yourself you can do whatever you like.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I agree. I listen to books using text-to-speech quite often. Early in my ebook experience I realised that 'dot dot dot' was all too often read aloud as 'dot dot dot'. It sounded like the book was being narrated by a woodpecker! I've been making sure that all my books use proper ellipses ever since.

Of course if you're only producing books for yourself you can do whatever you like.
^^^^
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #14
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I still follow the information from this old thread to create "handmade" ellipses.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=HELLIP
That was the thread I was thinking about, thanks!

Jellby's posts were the ones that initially taught me all the ellipsis edge cases, and I still refer to them so many years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Granted, I am pretty much only working with vintage books, and the modern glyph often just does not look right there.
Older books also used 5+-periods (or asterisks) for showing "larger chunks of text missing". Trying to use the ellipsis character in non-multiples-of-3 looked VERY odd indeed.

There's also the edge cases of ellipses and other punctuation:

...!
...?
?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
In my tests with:
  • TTS (Android, Google Text-to-Speech)
  • Built-in Windows Speech

it just takes a few pauses as it parses each period.

Code:
Example 4-dot ellipsis. . . . And this is a second sentence.

Example 4-dot ellipsis.… And this is a second sentence.

Example 4-dot ellipsis…. And this is a second sentence.
TTS Speaking:

Code:
Example 4-dot ellipsis.

(Pause)

(Pause)

(Pause)

And this is a second sentence.
I just tested the above sentences in Windows, and all sounded identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I agree. I listen to books using text-to-speech quite often. Early in my ebook experience I realised that 'dot dot dot' was all too often read aloud as 'dot dot dot'.
Hmmm, interesting. Which TTS were you using?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-03-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #15
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
In the off case where you are trying to portray missing text, then you can use whatever convention you wish:  . . . . . , [text missing], or whatever.

There is no way in heck you can accommodate for every reader/device/font/user spacing/etc. so don't even try. Use the grammatically correct symbol and IF the user doesn't like the way it looks, they can complain to the reader/device manufacturer. Chances are they won't even notice...heck, they don't even notice - or care - when there is really bad grammar. They are certainly not going to be as picky as you, the epub designer, are about how thin it may appear.

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-03-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote