Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
Unhappy Mark Books Not Working Correctly

I love this feature, and use it a lot.

A problem has arisen in that, rather than being temporary and disappearing when Calibre closes, it has started to retain the Mark Books checkmark. I currently have several hundred books marked where the checkmark re-appears everytime I start Calibre again. I can clear it on a temporary basis, but it is there again next time I open Calibre.

I can't remember if this started before or after the latest update, but it is a little irritating, especially if I forget to clear all existing checkmarks before adding new ones to books I am currently working on.

Anyone have any suggestions to resolve this, please?

Thank you.

Deddajay

Edit: Think I've just found the answer myself, but it poses another problem.

The marked books are all those I have marked as exemptions to the duplicate books search, mainly ebook/audiobook (no format) duplicates. I can now understand why the marked books icon re-appears everytime I open Calibre.

However, as I use the Mark Books feature to note those books/series I'm currently working on and they may disappear into different virtual libraries depending on what changes I may make to tags, this makes it difficult for me find them if they are muddled up with duplicate book exemptions.

So it would seem that the only solutions are to remove the duplicate book exemption each time, remove the exemption completely - which adds its own problems when searching for duplicate books or to find another way of marking books I'm currently working on.

Ideally, I would like a way to exclude all audiobooks, or books where no format exists, from being found during the duplicate books search. This would eliminate the problem altogether for me.

Any suggestions for a work around greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Deddajay

Last edited by deddajay; 02-02-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Update
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@deddajay

The ability to 'mark books' has been in calibre since version 0.7.49, but its only with introduction of the Mark Books feature in version 1.6.0, that they've been visible in the GUI.

To get round the 'problem' with Find Duplicates (FD), I (re)install the PI as and when required (I don't use it often) and remove it when I'm done. The duplicate exclusion marks are retained internally between (re)installs.

In the interest of performance the FD PI does the re-marking of exclusions when Calibre starts. IMO it would now be better to do it at the start of each Find Duplicates execution and suffer the performance penalty. But I suspect that under the new database backend that penalty may not be as much as it was previously.

Depending on your usage, you could clear the FD exclusion marks when calibre starts - and when you want to run Find Duplicates you could just do a restart. I should try it myself.

I think there's at least one other PI that marks books; might be Import List or Reading List or maybe both, but the marks don't 'stick' so they're not such a problem. And the Temp Mark PI marks books as does Add Books if you tick the box .

I think I suggested somewhere that when mouse pointer is hovered on the pin it could show the reason for the mark... 'user', 'add books', duplicate exclusion'... but it didn't get taken up. In the case of kiwidude's PI's, I'm pretty sure the 'mark-data' contains a string indicating reason for the mark.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-02-2014 at 06:29 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Thanks for coming back to me on this. I'm trying to get into the habit of clearing all check marks at the start of each session, which seems to be a workable solution.

My ideal solution would be to be able to check duplicates between virtual libraries, or exclude certain virtual libraries when running the find duplicates function. For the time being, now that I know what the "problem" is, I can work round it.

Cheers
Deddajay
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@deddajay : Its good to know it helped I took my own advice too

I created a virtual library for Marked books and made it the starting virtual library. Now I don't have to habituate the initial clearing - btw that's the first use I've made of VLs :lol:

BTW like your title

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #5
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist

@ BetterRed: That's not a bad idea creating a virtual library for duplicates. I'm not sure it would work for me, but I can see the benefit of it. I may play around with it to see if it will work with my set up.

I use virtual libraries all the time - couldn't manage without them now and I'm so glad that they were introduced as it makes my life so much easier. I used to have separate libraries, now I just have one which I can split with virtual libraries. You can see what my virtual libraries look like in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...68#post2746268 #9

Glad you like my title Combination of family nickname and my surname initial.

Cheers
Deddajay
Advert