Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 05:09 AM   #1
stefan.thor
stefan.thor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Kindle Metadata Help

I'm hoping someone can help me, as I have not managed to figure out how to do this.

Basically, I have a pretty mixed Calibre library with a mixture of books.
The issue I have is with my light novels, a lot do not have a proper volume titles which is bugging me for my metadata plug board (uploaded to a Kindle).

Currently I have a default plug board defined as: {series:||: Vol. }{series_index:0>2s| | – }{title}
This works really well, except for my light novels which have no proper volume name.

Take for instance Goblin Slayer, as far as I have discovered the volumes have no proper name, so for the title I would use Goblin Slayer: Vol. 01 as the title in Calibre.
Series and volume number are also populated via the Calibre metadata.
This means the plug board ends up duplicating the title when it is uploaded to my Kindle so it ends up being "Goblin Slayer: Vol. 01 - Goblin Slayer: Vol. 01"

What I would like to do is have the metadata adjust based on either the duplication of the title, or just the presence of the type field or virtual library.
(I have all my light books set with a custom type of "Light Books", which is also used to define a virtual library)

I've tried various templates but just have not managed to get this working, so any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stefan
stefan.thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
stefan.thor

My current thought was to have a first custom column setup as my default naming scheme (called kindle_title1):
{series:||: Vol. }{series_index:0>2s| | – }{title}

Then a second custom column (kindle_title2), that would determine if the type was a "Light Novel" and if so would use the title metadata, otherwise it would use the kindle_title1 field:
{#type:'contains($, "Light Novel", field("title"), field("kindle_title1"))'}

I was then hoping I could use a metadata plug board to just pull in the kindle_title2 column as title to sort the whole issue out.
The problem I'm having is the kindle_title2 column does not recognise the kindle_title1 column as a field.

Maybe I'm over complicating the whole issue as there is a much simpler way to do it...
Old 12-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
stefan.thor

Figured out the issue with my second custom column, needed to reference the first one in the template properly:
{#type:'contains($, "Light Novel", field("title"), field("#kindle_title1"))'}

So now have it working as expected, though if anyone has a better way to achieve the same result be happy to hear it.

Tags
kindle, metadata, plugboard