Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito
Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
eBook reader < $ 300

Hello to all,

I would like to buy an eReader that will allow me to go on for a few years. I'm not interested in taking notes, drawing, surfing, downloading apps, etc. I would just like to read (especially fiction, but also some technical manuals sometimes). Finally, I would like to stay under $ 300.

The products of Onyx (or Boox, I don't understand) inspire me: are they valid?

P.S .: I don't want to buy Amazon products, nor products that only read a certain format other than ePub.

Thank You.
Tra Le Righe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra Le Righe View Post
Hello to all,

I would like to buy an eReader that will allow me to go on for a few years. I'm not interested in taking notes, drawing, surfing, downloading apps, etc. I would just like to read (especially fiction, but also some technical manuals sometimes). Finally, I would like to stay under $ 300.

The products of Onyx (or Boox, I don't understand) inspire me: are they valid?

P.S .: I don't want to buy Amazon products, nor products that only read a certain format other than ePub.

Thank You.
Why not the 7.8" Glowlight Plus or Kobo Forma? Both have large screens (which I'd think help with technical manuals) and they both handle ePub (reading your post confused me a little. Not sure what "nor products that only read a certain format other than ePub" means).

Edit: Just saw your location is Italy. The $300 made me think you were US based.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-08-2019 at 04:47 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito
Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tra Le Righe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why not the 7.8" Glowlight Plus or Kobo Forma? Both have large screens (which I'd think help with technical manuals) and they both handle ePub (reading your post confused me a little. Not sure what "nor products that only read a certain format other than ePub" means).

Edit: Just saw your location is Italy. The $300 made me think you were US based.
I'm sorry, in fact I explained myself badly: I meant to say that I would like an eReader that mainly reads the ePub format, and not one that instead reads only its own proprietary format.
I thank you for the suggestions. Since you have both, which would you choose between the Kobo and the Nook? And why?
Old 11-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'm sorry, in fact I explained myself badly: I meant to say that I would like an eReader that mainly reads the ePub format, and not one that instead reads only its own proprietary format.
I thank you for the suggestions. Since you have both, which would you choose between the Kobo and the Nook? And why?
Kobos are great and I really like the way the software works. You can search your library or the book you are reading for a single word for example, set up collections, mark books read or unread (if you've read it to the last page it does so automatically), the screens are great, the lighting too, I really love the two Kobos I've owned (Aura 2014 and Aura One).

Or there is PocketBook. They are not tethered to any bookshop, but you can have them set up one for you. The software is a dream, very customizable and they do have some buttons for those who love them (I don't). Screen is perfect, lightning too, they do answer software wishes as far as it is possible and seems to be something more than one person would like to have. CS is a dream, at least here in Germany. They do work with the German library system, don't know if that is also true for Italy. ETA 300 ppi are the Touch HD 3 (6" screen) and the Inkpad 3/Inkpad 3 Pro (7.8" screen).

I've read good things about the Boyue Likebook Mars. Looks like a fun device to set up as the possiblities seem endless due to it being Android. Seems to be a bit on the heavy site though.

Last edited by Poppaea; 11-09-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Kobos are great and I really like the way the software works. You can search your library or the book you are reading for a single word for example, set up collections, mark books read or unread (if you've read it to the last page it does so automatically), the screens are great, the lighting too, I really love the two Kobos I've owned (Aura 2014 and Aura One).

Or there is PocketBook. They are not tethered to any bookshop, but you can have them set up one for you. The software is a dream, very customizable and they do have some buttons for those who love them (I don't). Screen is perfect, lightning too, they do answer software wishes as far as it is possible and seems to be something more than one person would like to have. CS is a dream, at least here in Germany. They do work with the German library system, don't know if that is also true for Italy. ETA 300 ppi are the Touch HD 3 (6" screen) and the Inkpad 3/Inkpad 3 Pro (7.8" screen).

I've read good things about the Boyue Likebook Mars. Looks like a fun device to set up as the possiblities seem endless due to it being Android. Seems to be a bit on the heavy site though.
Thanks for the reply.
I read a few threads here on the forum and I saw some reviews on YouTube and I think that with both Kobo and PocketBook devices I should still be satisfied. So choosing according to pure aesthetic criterion I would be inclined towards the Kobo because they seem to me definitely more elegant.
But I have to decide if the price difference between the Form and the Libra H2O is valid. How many books in .epub format can be contained within 8 GB of memory, approximately?
Old 11-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As long as they aren't heavily loaded with pictures like some history or cookbooks are, you should be able to squeeze up to 6000 books onto a 8 GB memory.

But a full memory makes the device slower, so I am not sure I'd do so.

Anyway, we live in a world with free wifi in nearly every coffeeshop and cloud storage. Both do connect with Dropbox so there is no real need to carry your whole library on the reader. I have about 1000 books on a reader most of the time, equaling about a decade of reading. The Forma is available with 32 GB (I saw it for 300€ on ebay or you could buy it for about 335€ in the official British Kobo store).

I didn't like the Forma and sent it back. I read lying on the couch or the bed, nearly never do I sit down to read and the ergonomics of the Forma didn't work with how I need to hold the reader. Also I think the Forma should be used without a cover to benefit from its form factor and its extremely light weight, but when you do so, you have to switch it on AND swipe the screen to get to read with it. This drove me nuts. With a smart cover of course it goes right into the book or onto the home screen, if you didn't shut it mid reading.

If I were you and there is no store where you can look at both devices, I'd make sure to order at a place with a good return policy.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito

Quote:
As long as they aren't heavily loaded with pictures like some history or cookbooks are, you should be able to squeeze up to 6000 books onto a 8 GB memory.

But a full memory makes the device slower, so I am not sure I'd do so.

Anyway, we live in a world with free wifi in nearly every coffeeshop and cloud storage. Both do connect with Dropbox so there is no real need to carry your whole library on the reader. I have about 1000 books on a reader most of the time, equaling about a decade of reading. The Forma is available with 32 GB (I saw it for 300€ on ebay or you could buy it for about 335€ in the official British Kobo store).

I didn't like the Forma and sent it back. I read lying on the couch or the bed, nearly never do I sit down to read and the ergonomics of the Forma didn't work with how I need to hold the reader. Also I think the Forma should be used without a cover to benefit from its form factor and its extremely light weight, but when you do so, you have to switch it on AND swipe the screen to get to read with it. This drove me nuts. With a smart cover of course it goes right into the book or onto the home screen, if you didn't shut it mid reading.

If I were you and there is no store where you can look at both devices, I'd make sure to order at a place with a good return policy.
Ok, then the memory should not be a problem and I would say that 8 GB is enough.
I give myself another day to decide, but I believe I will opt for the Kobo Forma.
For now, I thank you both for your clarifications.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito

I try to ask here why I can't find a section dedicated to accessories. I never bought the phone holders with magnets to attach to the car dashboard because I knew that in the long run, magnets tend to ruin electronic devices (especially batteries and memories). But I see that the eReaders covers on the various shops are all "smart" and that they are equipped with magnets that, in addition to keeping the cover closed, also have the function of communicating to the device when you are no longer using it so that it turns off itself. Well, can these magnets ruin the eReader (a Kobo Forma in this case)?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I try to ask here why I can't find a section dedicated to accessories. I never bought the phone holders with magnets to attach to the car dashboard because I knew that in the long run, magnets tend to ruin electronic devices (especially batteries and memories). But I see that the eReaders covers on the various shops are all "smart" and that they are equipped with magnets that, in addition to keeping the cover closed, also have the function of communicating to the device when you are no longer using it so that it turns off itself. Well, can these magnets ruin the eReader (a Kobo Forma in this case)?
Nope. Been using one with my Voyage for 3,5 years, and had my basic kindle in a similar cover for 5 years. No ruining.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:50 AM   #10
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Not a problem at all!

They don't suffer or anything if you use a smartcover, but if you are adamant not to have one there are options.

This case does not have a smartfunction and the twotone ones don't have it either.

In the fourth product picture it says "fully protected", these are the ones without the smartfunction. If it says "intelligent case", it is a smart cover. I am sure because I had to return one case and was told what to look for.

I really do like the smartcovers a lot better. A LOT! Especially for the Forma. I have one lying around in case you'd like to try for yourself. I could pop it into the mail, if you like, just holler. I'd rather pay some postage than create more useless junk.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:14 AM   #11
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nope. Been using one with my Voyage for 3,5 years, and had my basic kindle in a similar cover for 5 years. No ruining.
Quote:
Not a problem at all!

They don't suffer or anything if you use a smartcover, but if you are adamant not to have one there are options.

This case does not have a smartfunction and the twotone ones don't have it either.

In the fourth product picture it says "fully protected", these are the ones without the smartfunction. If it says "intelligent case", it is a smart cover. I am sure because I had to return one case and was told what to look for.

I really do like the smartcovers a lot better. A LOT! Especially for the Forma. I have one lying around in case you'd like to try for yourself. I could pop it into the mail, if you like, just holler. I'd rather pay some postage than create more useless junk.
I am speechless by the kindness and the helpfully present in this forum. I listened to your advice and I ordered Kobo Forma + smart cover (+ protective screen to be sure, but I don't think it serves much in this case).
I thank you again, as soon as everything arrives I tell you.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

I hope you love it!

I so loved my first ereader!!! Before I was a book aficionado with very peculiar taste. Books had to have a certain paper with a certain font and had to be smythe-sewn and, and...

Then I had to clean out almost all of them for the third time in my life, because I never could afford an apartment with a dedicated library room due to all my book buying habits and I decided to buy a reader from the money I got for my books. It was only to read the read-once book on, like mysterys and such. Turns out never again have I read a paper book since the thing moved in with me.

Ever since then I've treated myself to the best reader I could afford. I really do love ereaders and I do hope you will, too. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Oh, by the way, if there is stuff you don't like about the Kobo software, just ask. There are a lot of little tweaks (patches) that can be done easily (even I could do it after someone helped me here on the forums). The patches are written by forum members (see, you said it, kindness ) And some of them even do testing for Kobo which is why there is a firmware request thread on the board. If you stay on the forums you'll soon "know" a lot of people here and will always be helped.

Your enabler
Old 11-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #13
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito

Quote:
I hope you love it!

I so loved my first ereader!!! Before I was a book aficionado with very peculiar taste. Books had to have a certain paper with a certain font and had to be smythe-sewn and, and...

Then I had to clean out almost all of them for the third time in my life, because I never could afford an apartment with a dedicated library room due to all my book buying habits and I decided to buy a reader from the money I got for my books. It was only to read the read-once book on, like mysterys and such. Turns out never again have I read a paper book since the thing moved in with me.

Ever since then I've treated myself to the best reader I could afford. I really do love ereaders and I do hope you will, too. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Oh, by the way, if there is stuff you don't like about the Kobo software, just ask. There are a lot of little tweaks (patches) that can be done easily (even I could do it after someone helped me here on the forums). The patches are written by forum members (see, you said it, kindness ) And some of them even do testing for Kobo which is why there is a firmware request thread on the board. If you stay on the forums you'll soon "know" a lot of people here and will always be helped.

Your enabler
I can only renew my gratitude and my thanks. Until yesterday I had no idea what an ereader was and today I bought one.
I am also pleasantly impressed by the huge number of members of this forum ... I never would have thought, on the contrary, I thought it was a niche market.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #14
Tra Le Righe
Lettore incallito

I am speechless... It seems to be in a Harry Potter saga movie, the printed characters are moving! With the smartphone it is different: the mind perfectly realizes that it is a digital screen, but with the Kobo my head thinks it is normal printed paper, but immediately afterwards the writing changes. It's magic! I don't know how I did reading analogue books until now.
Not to mention the one I think is the most important thing, which is that I can literally keep thousands of books in the palm of my hand.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A) eink is almost mechanical. Each dot is a number of black balls in a milky liquid. They stick on the back or front of the cell.
B) It is a niche market.
C) It obviously is magic, it's even got ghosts.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, ereader help, ereader pro, onyx, onyx boox