Notices

Old 02-01-2023, 02:52 PM   #226
repilo
Enthusiast
repilo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
I've recently turned that on, the results are a bit of a mixed bag. My subjective impression is that the spacing looks a bit strange in some cases.
Ok. I have found the patch. Edited the file
\.kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf
and added the following line at the end of the section called [Reading]:
webkitTextRendering=optimizelegibility

In the result the kerning is visible, but the spacing between words is sometimes very uneven. It seems that the spaces between words on a line are equally distributed, except for those after a period (or colon), which have a smaller and fixed width.
A real example:
Code:
 prestigio militar americano y la moral de las tropas
 quedaron     seriamente     dañados. La    discusión
I have used the font with the reduced space character.
repilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:12 AM   #227
Vakke
Enthusiast
Vakke doesn't litterVakke doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@Vakke, I'v e cleaned up most of the obvious kerning that needed fixing that I noticed while reading. I have a couple more pairs to fix. Then I can copy over the kerning tables to the less space version.

After both are done, I can make versions with hinting for Kindles. And from there make weighted versions. I'll add them to the first post and you can then delete the ones you've attached.

Sound good? I'll get this done this week.
I've had a quite busy schedule at work. I saw that you completed the new version as of now, could you present again what where you thinking about me doing now? Copying the improved kerning tables to new version or?
Vakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:14 AM   #228
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by repilo View Post
Ok. I have found the patch. Edited the file
\.kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf
and added the following line at the end of the section called [Reading]:
webkitTextRendering=optimizelegibility

In the result the kerning is visible, but the spacing between words is sometimes very uneven. It seems that the spaces between words on a line are equally distributed, except for those after a period (or colon), which have a smaller and fixed width.
A real example:
Code:
 prestigio militar americano y la moral de las tropas
 quedaron     seriamente     dañados. La    discusión
I have used the font with the reduced space character.
There is a patch available to reduce the space between words for KePub. It works well.

Here is the link tot he thread for the patches for the current Kobo firmware.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=349230

Make sure you have this version firmware installed first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:45 AM   #229
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Having switched to the new version Chareink6SP, I was surprised to notice that my page turns manifest differently.
Previously on the normal Chareink there was a very very slight pause and a black flash with every page turn(if you can flash black) but now there is no pause and no black flash.
Can this be attributed to the new font? (or I may just be seeing things/not seeing things)
I have changed no settings - indeed changed nothing other than the font.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:52 AM   #230
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Having switched to the new version Chareink6SP, I was surprised to notice that my page turns manifest differently.
Previously on the normal Chareink there was a very very slight pause and a black flash with every page turn(if you can flash black) but now there is no pause and no black flash.
Can this be attributed to the new font? (or I may just be seeing things/not seeing things)
I have changed no settings - indeed changed nothing other than the font.
I have my Kobo set not to flash. Maybe it's working faster enough that it looks different. I really cannot say.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:06 AM   #231
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I have my Kobo set not to flash. Maybe it's working faster enough that it looks different. I really cannot say.
Some experimentation with settings has shown that it must have been refreshing the screen every page turn despite being set to refresh only every chapter - the black flash is refreshing the screen.
Weird - I didn't recognise it because I wasn't expecting it I guess.

Anyway, all well now and not refreshing every page.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:02 PM   #232
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Some experimentation with settings has shown that it must have been refreshing the screen every page turn despite being set to refresh only every chapter - the black flash is refreshing the screen.
Weird - I didn't recognise it because I wasn't expecting it I guess.

Anyway, all well now and not refreshing every page.
That's good that you have your refresh sorted. Well done.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:29 PM   #233
CCRocks
CCRocks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
JSWolf,

What is the biggest distinction between this version versus version five?

I’m currently using five but I’m just curious if you’re going to be continuing to update beyond version 6 because of something that you think is beneficial?

I guess it’s kind of weird to ask this but it’s like if you have an iPhone 13 would you necessarily want to upgrade to 14. It is a along those lines the question I’m asking.
CCRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:20 PM   #234
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRocks View Post
JSWolf,

What is the biggest distinction between this version versus version five?

I’m currently using five but I’m just curious if you’re going to be continuing to update beyond version 6 because of something that you think is beneficial?

I guess it’s kind of weird to ask this but it’s like if you have an iPhone 13 would you necessarily want to upgrade to 14. It is a along those lines the question I’m asking.
There are some improved glyphs and some new glyphs. in Charis SIL 6.x.

I have fixed some of the more noticeable kerning issues so it looks better. Also, there is now a version that has a smaller space. I like the version with the smaller space for ePub on a Kobo. I've not yet tested that version on a Kindle. I'll be doing so either tonight or tomorrow. But yes, go for the version 6. Any fixes will be for version 6 and not version 5. So if I find any kerning to change, I'll be doing so on the new version as I've already done.

IMHO, go for version 6. Try both versions and see which one you like.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:06 PM   #235
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I shall be creating weight added versions of ChareInk6 and ChareInk6SP sometime this week.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:25 AM   #236
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I shall be creating weight added versions of ChareInk6 and ChareInk6SP sometime this week.
Thank you! Looking forward to the weight added versions.
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 04:21 AM   #237
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
Thank you! Looking forward to the weight added versions.
Sorry I haven't had time to do the weight added versions. I'll have time to do this on Thursday.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:06 AM   #238
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Not to rush you, but wanted to check if there's been any progress on the weighted version.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #239
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Added ChareInk6 and ChareInk6 both with added weight. See the first post of this thread to download the attachment. It's now one ZIP file with both versions.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:34 PM   #240
xyclonei
Connoisseur

On the the weighted versions of ChareInk6 & ChareInk6P, there are quite a few visible artefacts as attached.

Any chance for a fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	101
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	201144