Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #16
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Forma, Libra
Question Desperatly seeking help with bizarre formatting problem

I side-loaded the new F/W this morning and applied my usual patches, then read some - no problems.

Then I side-loaded new fonts (new to the device, I had used them on former ones,) and I had extreme formatting problems (no bold, no italics, no paragraph position (all aligned on the left-hand side,) even with Kobo's fonts. The same books were fine on the H2O2.

First I tried suppressing the first book I noticed it on (a Calibre catalog) and reloading it.
Then I tried turning off/on the device and the PC.
Then I saved parameters and database, and logged off from kobo in case it was a problem with the database.
Nothing worked. I don't even have an error message to post.

Can somebody suggest a cause to the problem - and a remedy?

EDIT: I took a long time writing this, and realized I'm not the only one, and that it is a F/W problem. So back to the previous one.

Last edited by anacreon; 11-03-2018 at 03:48 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
OK, after some testing, it seems to be that the kepub reader doesn't read external stylesheets anymore. Inline styles work fine (and that's why I didn't notice the problem while I was testing the patches). I will still stay on this firmware for now, as the book I am currently reading has inline styles, so it is not affected by this bug.

I guess the worst part about this bug is that Kobo will probably issue a fix soon, and then I have to update the patches all over again :/ . At least I'm getting faster at it, and it only takes me an hour and a half, but I still don't have unlimited time...

Edit: I've reported this issue to kobo.

Last edited by geek1011; 11-03-2018 at 04:54 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #18
mathil
Addict
mathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role model

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra H2O, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's not 2). I sideloaded/installed 4.11.11976 on my Forma (no Kobo patches installed) and had the same problem with sideloaded kepubs. It looked, to me, as if the whole internal CSS file was being ignored. This resulted in all text being left-aligned and all paragraphs having, what looked like, a 1em top & bottom margin.
Yes, the text was left-aligned for me as well; I didn't mention it because I thought it was a problem with my books (I usually apply patches so that all my books have justification).

I love Kobo; I'm always willing to defend them when they're unjustly attacked, and I'm sure everyone involved in the software development etc. is doing their best. But from a user's point of view, I really can't understand why they keep having these QA issues. It's been like this for years. I love their ereaders and will keep using them, but I'm also lucky enough that I know this forum and can chat with other users about firmware issues...
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #19
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
OK, after some testing, it seems to be that the kepub reader doesn't read external stylesheets anymore.
Holy cow! That's brutal.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #20
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I use Calibre, send kepub on the fly, and I don't think I'm using external style sheets, so would this firmware be a problem for me?

I have a Forma coming on Tuesday, so want to be prepared.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #21
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I use Calibre, send kepub on the fly, and I don't think I'm using external style sheets, so would this firmware be a problem for me?

Yes. You are almost certainly using an external stylesheet.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's not 2). I sideloaded/installed 4.11.11976 on my Forma (no Kobo patches installed) and had the same problem with sideloaded kepubs. It looked, to me, as if the whole internal CSS file was being ignored. This resulted in all text being left-aligned and all paragraphs having, what looked like, a 1em top & bottom margin.

ETA: I've just tried an official Kobo kepub, synced via Kobo Desktop. I have exactly the same problem, i.e. kepubs are unusable. Back to 4.11.11911 for me.
Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until a long time after the release. That was on my Clara HD. I was surprised I hadn't seen any complaints here, so I was wondering if it was OK on the Forma. Apparently it isn't.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes. You are almost certainly using an external stylesheet.
Just to be clear, by "external" you mean referring to CSS files that are included in the book, rather than in-line styles. Right? My first reaction was that you were referring to a stylesheet somewhere on the device, but not inside the book. But, I don't know of any that are used in any recent firmware.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #24
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just to be clear, by "external" you mean referring to CSS files that are included in the book, rather than in-line styles. Right? My first reaction was that you were referring to a stylesheet somewhere on the device, but not inside the book. But, I don't know of any that are used in any recent firmware.
Yes. Sorry about the misleading wording.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #25
ma678
Enthusiast
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
My Clara HD couldn't read a comic book via Overdrive from my local library. The same book displays well after I reverted back to 4.11.11911.
ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:18 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
My Clara HD couldn't read a comic book via Overdrive from my local library. The same book displays well after I reverted back to 4.11.11911.
I assume that would have downloaded as a kepub. If so, it would have been hit by the stylesheet bug that has been discussed.

And for the record, I have report the problem to Kobo when I saw it, and discussed it with them today. I'm pretty sure I heard the from down here when he saw what was done. I would expect a reasonably quick release, but it probably will be a few days. They might withdraw 4.11.11976 first. It depends on if they think this bug is worse than the ones they were fixing.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:56 AM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

In the sense being used here (I think), an external stylesheet is internal to the epub but linked to the text files. If you look at an epub in an editor, you'll see a <head>....</head> section in which you'll see a piece of code similar to:
Code:
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
You can also embed the styles in each text file or you can have the styles added to every tag. Neither of which is, IMNSHO, a good idea.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-04-2018 at 01:02 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:55 AM   #28
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Definitely inside the book. The same book that reads right with 11911 looks awful with this firmware. I think that, in this case, Kobo has gone over the top with its lack of testing (aside of not allowing to read any book, that's right).

Edit: If, as ma678, it doesn't happen only with sideloaded kepub but with kepub in general, sorry, Kobo has done a very poor work.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 11-04-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:56 AM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I assume that would have downloaded as a kepub. If so, it would have been hit by the stylesheet bug that has been discussed.

And for the record, I have report the problem to Kobo when I saw it, and discussed it with them today. I'm pretty sure I heard the from down here when he saw what was done. I would expect a reasonably quick release, but it probably will be a few days. They might withdraw 4.11.11976 first. It depends on if they think this bug is worse than the ones they were fixing.
For me, an ereader which doesn't honor the stylesheet is the worst bug at all.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #30
ewphoenix123
Groupie
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Forma
I have stability problems with this version.
My Forma kept getting stuck every 20-30 Minutes yesterday and I had to reboot.
No more more freezes after I switched to another book (epub) today, so I won't rollback yet but something to observe.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote