Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
mchaggis4708
mchaggis4708 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Can't access books downloaded to Kobo glo

Hi, I just purchased a kobo glo, set up the hi -fi connection,ADE and have both ADE and my devise authorised. Purchased 2 books and downloaded them to the reader and can read them no problem. Borrowed and downloaded two books from local library and sent them to the devise but device will not open them saying the document is protected by ADM and is not currently authorized for use with my adobe ID. I can open them on my pc. All downloads were in epub format which is compatible with the library requirements.
Would appreciate any suggestions as to how to overcome this. TYIA. mchaggis4708
mchaggis4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
mchaggis4708

Kobo Glo does not open my borrowed books.

Hi I recently purchased a Kobo Glo reader. Set up the wi-fi, downloaded ADE, and ensured ADE and my device were properly authorised. Purchased 2 books from Kobo library, downloaded and then transferred them to my reader. Was able to read both without problem.

I then borrowed three books from my local ebook library however after downloading them to my pc where I can open and read them, sent them on to my e-reader but cannot open them as I received the notice "This document is protected by DRM and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID etc...." All books were downloaded in the EPUB format a format compatible with my local library requirements. I double checked in ADE and confirmed both ADE and my device are authorized.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have as to how to get around this problem. TYIA

mchaggis4708.
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Lets try a few things.
  1. Verify the time / date on the Kobo Glo. Settings | Date and time. Make sure all the data there is correct.
  2. Verify the Kobo's ADE status. Settings | Accounts. Is the correct eMail address shown under ADOBE ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
mchaggis4708

Thank you for your reply. I entered the time and date on my kobo glo under settings. Confirmed my email address in ADE authorization is correct then opened ADE, connected my device to the pc and authorized it. The ADE authorization reads: mchaggis4708@storm.ca | AdobeID (urn:uuid:bf2a7488-0805-4df3-95a9-2958b108d2be) and the device authorization reads: mchaggis4708@storm.ca | AdobeID (urn:uuid:bf2a7488-0805-4df3-95a9-2958b108d2be
Again attempted to open all three borrowed book but received the same "No authorized" message.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Are you using ADE 1.7.2 or 2.0? I believe there may be some issues with version 2.0.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
mchaggis4708

I am using ADE 2.0 tlaine. Thanks for the suggestion. Before I uninstall 2.0 and download 1.7.2, can you advise if I will lose the books already in 2.0. or can I move the books to another folder and replace them in 1.7.2 after the change?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try one more thing before the ADE version. On the Kobo itself, delete the books you are having trouble with. (From library view, long press on a book and select the Remove option, and if prompted select Remove from eReader).

After the book(s) HAVE been removed, use ADE 2.0 and retransfer the books and let the Kobo process them.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #8
mchaggis4708

Followed that suggestion PeterT however am still getting the "Not authorized" message.
Can I relocate my books in ADE 2.0 to another folder in my pc, prior to uninstalling that program, then put them into the freshly installed ADE 1.7.2. ?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

I have both versions installed, they share the "My Digital Editions" directory.

This Adobe page has links to 1.7.2 for Windows (this version also runs under Wine for me) and Mac, about halfway down the page.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editi...-editions.html

Last edited by tlaine; 01-15-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
mchaggis4708

Good idea tlaine. I will give it a try. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
mchaggis4708

No luck. I downloaded and installed ABE 1.7.2. however, while it recognized my device, I could not transfer the borrowed books to it. Uninstalled both versions and reinstalled version 2.0 transferred the borrowed books to the device but I am back where I started.
Still receiving the "Not authorized"message. I have Win 7 home edition.
Any other suggestions, short of turfing the device, will be gratefully accepted.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
tlaine
Zealot

Ah, that would have been my suggestion but it's unacceptable to you....

Someone else reading this may have a better suggestion but the next thing I would try is deauthorizing the device through ADE, safely disconnect it, reset the device and then try authorizing it again through ADE.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
mchaggis4708

Thanks tlaine but that didn't work either.
Am going to try downloading free books from other sites to see if that works.
May also do full reset to factory condition to see if that makes a difference.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Rather than a full reset just do a logout from Kobo account. This will drop the database and force a reset without the need to do any f/w upgrades.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
mchaggis4708

Thank you. I shall try that.