Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Page numbers

Most or all of the library books I borrow have page numbers, so I am beginning to feel behind the curve. Can anyone point me to a source of information on how KDP publishers can enjoy this privilege, if indeed we can?

I'm publishing as epub2, if that makes any difference.

Thanks! - NJ
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
There is a thread on this.
epub2 is indeed the best to upload to Amazon. Certainly it's possible to have the info Amazon needs.
Amazon decides if they want to enable page numbering (KFX or AZW?) based on if there is a paper book and if they want to. Probably not for fiction.
Aren't most library books using epub and adobe page numbers?

I know some people don't care and others feel it's an necessity. I think only needed for reference works also on paper.

It's a topic that seems to excite people.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can check in our wiki Page numbers or more specifically at APNX

Dale
DaleDe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Most or all of the library books I borrow have page numbers, [...]. Can anyone point me to a source of information on how KDP publishers can enjoy this privilege, if indeed we can?
We just had a discussion about this a few weeks ago in:

Correct Page Numbers in Kindle?

Hitch even answered that in Post #11+#14:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You can generate an eBook with what's referred to as "real page numbers," but Amazon will NOT use them--even if they are present in the file--unless or until a matching print book is published and EVEN THEN, they will not facilitate it unless in their sole opinion, there's a good reason for it. So, for a novel, probably never. For a research book, they'll take a hard look at it. But even then, it's not guaranteed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Or I assume when Amazon merges Print/Ebook versions in their store, RPNs are something you inform them of and they'll enable it in the backend (at their discretion)?
You do as we've discussed--add the ids based on page numbers, to match the print edition; create a page list, and alert Amazon and in their infinite wisdom and sole discretion, yes, they'll enable it. :-)
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:45 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
I think page numbers for eBooks is one topic that may never end.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the pointers. I find doing a Search on Mobireads is futile. I tried it, of course, and got three entirely unrelated threads.

I will press on! (The library book I borrowed yesterday has only "locations", and from the same author and publisher of two earlier books that did have page numbers, so it's certainly not universal.)

I write mostly non-fiction, as opposed to what I borrow from the e-brary, so page numbers are important to me, both as a writer and as a reader, when I'm reading non-fiction.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thanks for the pointers. I find doing a Search on Mobireads is futile. I tried it, of course, and got three entirely unrelated threads.
You can search by tag in advanced search. Three existing tags that might help are "page number", "page numbering", and "page numbers". There is also a tag "apnx". (I don't use the " character in the tag box.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
See the tip that I wrote here:

Post #10 in "EPUB-Checker error: undefined property"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabcar View Post
I know that's not going to come in one place, but if anyone can point me to any resources that would help me get up to speed in a reasonable time without having to crawl through mountains of posts and websites (which has been my experience so far), I'd be grateful!
In your favorite search engine, you could search:

Code:
any topic + Tex2002ans site:mobileread.com
I've probably written about everything under the sun at this point. There's no one location for all this info (although I've been working on compiling things the past year).

Hitch is also a fantastic source (runs one of the largest ebook conversion companies, Booknook):

Code:
any topic + Hitch site:mobileread.com
and she discusses a lot of the real-life issues/bugs that crop up.
Using site: to narrow down searches... That's how I go back and find all the information built up over the years.

(And on the opposite end, you can use -site: to remove sites from your search... like let's say pinterest floods your image searches, you could tell the search engine to not waste time showing those.)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-05-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Thank you, Tex; thank you, j.p.s. I fear I am far from a Wizard....