Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #316
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight, Calibre, Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8
Hi,

I used this software years ago and now I needed to split another two page scanned pdf, but it does not work. I remember it worked flawless before. Briss (0.9) keeps loading the document and get sluggish, but never completes.

I am using the same MacBook Pro, but the os is High Sierra.

The PDF is 300 pages, so maybe that could be a problem. But when I try to divide it up in OS X Preview, the PDF size gets ten times larger.

Thanks!

N.
nlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:20 AM   #317
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlundberg View Post
Hi,

I used this software years ago and now I needed to split another two page scanned pdf, but it does not work. I remember it worked flawless before. Briss (0.9) keeps loading the document and get sluggish, but never completes.

I am using the same MacBook Pro, but the os is High Sierra.

The PDF is 300 pages, so maybe that could be a problem. But when I try to divide it up in OS X Preview, the PDF size gets ten times larger.

Thanks!

N.
I can't help you make Briss work. It has not been supported for quite a while now. But if your document is "2-up" you can crop to individual pages with k2pdfopt like so:

k2pdfopt -mode crop -grid 2x1x0 myfile.pdf

The 2x1x0 tells k2pdfopt to break the document into 2 columns by 1 row with 0% overlap. The -mode crop tells it to put each of those grid regions into a new page in the destination document.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #318
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Thanks a lot, seems great! Is there setting to skip pages to crop? The first two pages are single page.

...how would I add auto straighten (-as) after the split, without the optimise rescaling? Can I do it in one pass?

Last edited by nlundberg; 02-20-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #319
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thanks a lot, seems great! Is there setting to skip pages to crop? The first two pages are single page.

...how would I add auto straighten (-as) after the split, without the optimise rescaling? Can I do it in one pass?

I've never found an ideal way to crop PDFs, but the one I keep coming back to is the croppdf shell script attached to post #247 of this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...245322&page=17
Be sure to read post #246 and follow the quoting chain back. There were later posts as well.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #320
nlundberg
Connoisseur

@j.p.s

Thanks, I'll check that one out too. k2pdfopt did actually did what I asked for right away. Then, as always, you see a lot of interesting options and become greedy...
Old 02-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #321
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
@j.p.s

Thanks, I'll check that one out too. k2pdfopt did actually did what I asked for right away. Then, as always, you see a lot of interesting options and become greedy...
k2pdfopt is probably easier to use, especially if you don't have ghostscript installed, but croppdf might make a smaller file.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #322
nlundberg
Connoisseur

After tons of tries with the command line trying to auto straighten, I had to give up. I could not find a way to cut out the black areas from the center of the book, since after the split from double page scans, the black area is alternating side throughout the document.
I tried some other options for cleaning up but the pages ended up with slightly different sizes and I couldn't figure out how to keep page sizes.

Would be fun to get it 100% right cosmetically but it is perfectly readable now.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #323
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After tons of tries with the command line trying to auto straighten, I had to give up. I could not find a way to cut out the black areas from the center of the book, since after the split from double page scans, the black area is alternating side throughout the document.
I tried some other options for cleaning up but the pages ended up with slightly different sizes and I couldn't figure out how to keep page sizes.

Would be fun to get it 100% right cosmetically but it is perfectly readable now.
Can you post or PM me the source PDF? BTW, I would have recommended two passes. There is a way to skip the first two pages using the -cbox option rather than the -grid option. Or you could just use a tool like cpdf to grab only pages you want from individual PDFs.

Last edited by willus; 02-21-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #324
nlundberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Can you post or PM me the source PDF? BTW, I would have recommended two passes. There is a way to skip the first two pages using the -cbox option rather than the -grid option. Or you could just use a tool like cpdf to grab only pages you want from individual PDFs.
Thanks, pm sent!
Old 02-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #325
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Thanks, pm sent!
I used two passes:

k2pdfopt -mode crop -t -cbox1,2 0,0,1s,1s -cbox3- 0in,0in,7.186in,7.65in -cbox3- 7.186in,0in,6.18in,7.65in source.pdf -o out1.pdf

k2pdfopt -mode crop -t -ac -as -w 7in -h 8in out1.pdf -o out2.pdf

This forces the output page size to be 7 x 8 inches. If you are okay with variable page sizes, you can remove the -w and -h options from the second pass.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #326
nlundberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
I used two passes:

k2pdfopt -mode crop -t -cbox1,2 0,0,1s,1s -cbox3- 0in,0in,7.186in,7.65in -cbox3- 7.186in,0in,6.18in,7.65in source.pdf -o out1.pdf

k2pdfopt -mode crop -t -ac -as -w 7in -h 8in out1.pdf -o out2.pdf

This forces the output page size to be 7 x 8 inches. If you are okay with variable page sizes, you can remove the -w and -h options from the second pass.
Thanks, how should I do the two passes? Add the commands in one terminal session, or process quit, load out1.pdf and do 2nd pass?

I get this message on 2nd pass anyway:

Code:
Reading 294 pages from out1.pdf ...

SOURCE PAGE 1 of 294 (3.7 x 4.3 in) ... 1 new page saved.
warning: premature end of data in flate filter
warning: ... repeated 2 times ...
Then it goes idle after page 16. :/
Old 02-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #327
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Thanks, how should I do the two passes? Add the commands in one terminal session, or process quit, load out1.pdf and do 2nd pass?

I get this message on 2nd pass anyway:

Code:
Reading 294 pages from out1.pdf ...

SOURCE PAGE 1 of 294 (3.7 x 4.3 in) ... 1 new page saved.
Then it goes idle after page 16. :/
It hangs processing page 17, which doesn't have any text anyway, so you can just skip that page. I adjusted the autocrop to be not quite as aggressive.

k2pdfopt -mode crop -t -ac .02 -as -w 7in -h 8in out1.pdf -o out2.pdf -px 17
Old 08-14-2023, 11:31 PM   #328
Noccute
Noccute began at the beginning.

Device: none
I really like BRISS's cropping GUI, but I need destructive cropping, since I need to convert to ePub.

Is there a software that does destructive cropping instead of just hiding the data like BRISS?

Preferably I want a software that can post process BRISS cropped PDF to destroy everything outside of view.
Noccute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 12:08 AM   #329
Noccute
Noccute began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccute View Post
Preferably I want a software that can post process BRISS cropped PDF to destroy everything outside of view.
I mean all hidden text outside of the crop.
Noccute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 08:49 AM   #330
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This thread should really be deleted. The term Briss used for this software could be considered a slur to Jewish people.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf