Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
So how many days is the rollout expected to take? I've synced my kobo affilaite Clara daily, but nothing so far.
Set your affiliate to betaand you can then sync the new firmware. Or you could just use the post I made in the first page of this thread with the links to the firmware to manually update.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...16#post3892416
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #92
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
So how many days is the rollout expected to take? I've synced my kobo affilaite Clara daily, but nothing so far.
Could be up to a couple of months by the time it's rolled out to all affiliates. Typically not that long these days, but it has been in past.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #93
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@perisiana: You're saying the bit that's taking long is *saving* the percentages in Calibre's Library, not *pulling* them from the device?

(FWIW, my setup is everything automatic, with manual validation needed for actual update in Calibre, and both steps take a few seconds at best, even on the H2O. Granted, I'm nowhere near even a thousand books on device. And everything's KePub, in case that matters. And my column setup is fairly low key (basically, the reading % would be the most complex bits, because I have one for Kindles, one for Kobos, and both are used to compute a third one).).
I have 3 columns, current reading location, percent read and last read, set in the plugin for the Kobo h20, to work automatically when the device is connected.
But in automatic mode the columns remain empty, or the reading percentages are not modified, so I imagine that it doesn't work.
If I start it manually (usually with all the kepubs I have on Kobo selected, around 3000), Calibre freezes and it takes a while to restart, and then it takes about a quarter of an hour to stores bookmarks, percentages etc, but works perfectly and all the data are correct.
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #94
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by perisiana View Post
I tried it now and if I do it automatically it takes a few seconds but it doesn't record the reading percentage, to save the reading percentage I have to do it manually and it takes about 10 minutes
Check the options for the automatic fetch. That sounds like you don't have it set to get the percentages. And, I'd expect it also means you don't have the options set to not fetch the status for books already finished.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #95
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
(Should have read to the end of the thread before replying before)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perisiana View Post
I have 3 columns, current reading location, percent read and last read, set in the plugin for the Kobo h20, to work automatically when the device is connected.
But in automatic mode the columns remain empty, or the reading percentages are not modified, so I imagine that it doesn't work.
That should only happen if the you don't have it configured to get the percentage and put it in a column. Do you you have profiles for different devices that might be different?

Also, do you have it prompting before updating the library? The prompt will show what changes are to be made and might tell use where it is going wrong.
Quote:
If I start it manually (usually with all the kepubs I have on Kobo selected, around 3000), Calibre freezes and it takes a while to restart, and then it takes about a quarter of an hour to stores bookmarks, percentages etc, but works perfectly and all the data are correct.
There will appear to be a hang when starting as the plugin collects the information it needs to query the device. It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, but, that will depend on the computer. After that, if it is running as a job, calibre should be responsive.

If the configuration seems to be correct, I need to see a debug log to see what is happening. If you can restart calibre in debug mode, connect the device with the automatic fetch happening, close calibre when it finished and then post the log that calibre shows, I can look at what is actually happening.

And we should take this to the plugins thread. This isn't a firmware version issue.

Forgot something:

There is a change in the firmware that does affect this. The way the current location is stored for epubs has changed. But, this only affects getting the location. The percent read and last read date is still working. The location will be blank for this. I have a fix for this but, have not had time to test it properly as I need to make sure it still works with old firmware, and that the currently stored locations can be restored to the new firmware properly.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-24-2019 at 09:43 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like the way sliding the light shows the % on screen. Makes it a lot easier to get the light as I want.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

For those who have not yet responded, what is it you like about 4.17.13694 compared to 4.15.x or earlier? That can also include fixed bugs.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #98
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I am finding the new firmware and patches to be a delight overall. However, there is a single nuisance that I wonder if anyone might be able to suggest a solution for.

I have enabled the Reduce new header/footer height patch. It is the first time I have enabled a patch to modify the size of a header or footer, and I find that I like it. However, if I try to select certain words in the bottom line of a page that are to the left or right, instead of selecting the word it activates the fast page turn function.

Of course I can work around this easily by simply changing the font size temporarily, but I wonder if anyone has encountered this and has a better idea? Is there a way to disable fast page turning, for example? I don't think I'll need it since the introduction of the new book navigation system with this firmware.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
I am finding the new firmware and patches to be a delight overall. However, there is a single nuisance that I wonder if anyone might be able to suggest a solution for.

I have enabled the Reduce new header/footer height patch. It is the first time I have enabled a patch to modify the size of a header or footer, and I find that I like it. However, if I try to select certain words in the bottom line of a page that are to the left or right, instead of selecting the word it activates the fast page turn function.

Of course I can work around this easily by simply changing the font size temporarily, but I wonder if anyone has encountered this and has a better idea? Is there a way to disable fast page turning, for example? I don't think I'll need it since the introduction of the new book navigation system with this firmware.
You could set the option to swipe to change pages instead or a press. I cannot say that will work, but it won't change the page when you press.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #100
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Is there a way to disable fast page turning, for example? I don't think I'll need it since the introduction of the new book navigation system with this firmware.
[Reading]
disableQuickTurn=true

in Kobo eReader.conf

Last edited by Semwize; 09-25-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #101
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@JeanPierre: You can indeed . c.f., this message from back when this feature was introduced.

EDIT: Too slow. .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #102
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Nevermind. MUCH too slow
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #103
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For those who have not yet responded, what is it you like about 4.17.13694 compared to 4.15.x or earlier? That can also include fixed bugs.
I like:
  • the way it remember your position (black dot) when you move around the book. Before it was a pain if you made several "jumps"-
  • the quick view of pages.

I do not like:
  • No way alternating between number of pages read, % and time reaming with one touch in the footer.
  • The header and the footer are now crowded, specially with long book/chapter titles. I would like to have the option to leave it as before (book title above/number of pages below).

Due to the last point (it is very annoying for me, as I prefer more "real book" feeling), for now, I prefer to keep FW 4.15.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #104
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank you all for the speedy help, instructions, links and late attempts! disableQuickTurn=true has resolved my problem completely!

I also now notice I mistakenly posted this in the main firmware discussion thread rather than the patching instructions thread of the developer forum. Thank you for tolerating this mistake also
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #105
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
What's the right way to return to where you were after following a hyperlink in the new firmware? It used to be pretty easy but now I got stuck at the back of the book.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote