Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #61
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Could it have to do with the fact that I also copied some new books onto the SD card at the same time? Anything I can do at this point?
I look forward to hearing from the gurus here about this, as my gut reaction to reading was "Oh, I wouldn't have done that." I wonder if doing so might be related to your problems?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #62
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I look forward to hearing from the gurus here about this, as my gut reaction to reading was "Oh, I wouldn't have done that." I wonder if doing so might be related to your problems?
I remember having done this before, books and updates. I guess this time the update was too big. Luckily, I managed to do a factory reset after some freezes. Did a downgrade and another upgrade and without books the Clara is running smoothly as usual. I'm re-importing my books now, hopefully, everything will stay okay now.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #63
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
I remember having done this before, books and updates. I guess this time the update was too big. Luckily, I managed to do a factory reset after some freezes. Did a downgrade and another upgrade and without books the Clara is running smoothly as usual. I'm re-importing my books now, hopefully, everything will stay okay now.
I've got a large library on my kobo, and it took quite a while for the upgrade to finish. It probably had to examine every book and update the database for each one, so it just took a while, but not as long as reimporting everything. I left it plugged into the USB (but ejected) and just let it think for a while.

Probably by turning it off and on in the middle of the scan you corrupted the database, which is why a factory reset was needed. It was really hard for me to not bother it too. :->
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #64
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If the header and footer are disabled, how do you display chapter progress with kepubs? I watched a quick video, and didn't see the familiar graph menu option?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #65
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If the header and footer are disabled, how do you display chapter progress with kepubs? I watched a quick video, and didn't see the familiar graph menu option?
It's under the '...' menu next to the Settings icon at the top of the screen.
mathil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #66
kurai
kurai began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Update: there's a new FeatureSettings::ExcludeSyncFolders, and it seems like it takes a set of regexps that match with /mnt/*/ trimmed off the start. That might do what we want.
Apologies if I'm being dim ... is this a function that needs to be implemented in a patch or plugin, or can I add an entry to Kobo eReader.conf like:
Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
ExcludeSyncFolders=MyFoldername
kurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #67
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
kurai,
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=([^.][^/]*/)*\\..+
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323083
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I've got a large library on my kobo, and it took quite a while for the upgrade to finish. It probably had to examine every book and update the database for each one, so it just took a while, but not as long as reimporting everything. I left it plugged into the USB (but ejected) and just let it think for a while.

Probably by turning it off and on in the middle of the scan you corrupted the database, which is why a factory reset was needed. It was really hard for me to not bother it too. :->
Before I update the firmware, I plug the Kobo into the computer and copy everything that's on it. That way I have a backup just in case. That's the way I suggest doing it,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
It's under the '...' menu next to the Settings icon at the top of the screen.
Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before I update the firmware, I plug the Kobo into the computer and copy everything that's on it. That way I have a backup just in case. That's the way I suggest doing it,
Yeah, I go into Calibre and make a tag like 'Kobo Clara.' Then if disaster strikes, I can use that to add my books back.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #71
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I go into Calibre and make a tag like 'Kobo Clara.' Then if disaster strikes, I can use that to add my books back.
I've tagged my books that way for years. Not for backup (I sideload all of them from Calibre anyway), but so I know at a glance which of my devices any given book is on. Otherwise, having multiple devices with different books and wanting to read just this book at the moment, I'd have to look at all of my e-readers one by one. Not a prospect I'd enjoy, with the new Libra I'll have 5 devices in active use.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #72
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
After 20 minutes my H20 v.1 finished updating. But now when I plug it in to my PC it shows the charging icon, but it's not connecting to my PC. Is it still processing behind the scenes?

Ok, finally after 3 or 4 times. Now I can patch.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-22-2019 at 06:13 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #73
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Kobo changed the way the reading position is stored for epubs. This meant an update for each epub in the database during the first boot after the update. The more books you have, the longer it would have taken.
Quote:
Yes, turning the device off in the middle of the update would have been a bad idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #74
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo changed the way the reading position is stored for epubs. This meant an update for each epub in the database during the first boot after the update. The more books you have, the longer it would have taken.
Does it also affect kepubs?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think Jon meant taking a copy of everything on the book partition of the device. I do this frequently when testing things. It allows me to restore everything back to the way it was if things go wrong.

I don't bother tracking what books are on the device in calibre. If I decide to reset whichever is the device I am using for reading, I just send all books that are being read or are unread. Plus some others such as test samples or the already read books in a series I am currently reading.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote