Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #31
bill_lemons
bill_lemons began at the beginning.

Device: KOA
Thumbs up Thank you!

Hi

I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to you guys, coplate and knc1, you just saved my life, if you excuse the hyperbole!

Here's my story...

I have a Kindle Oasis (ridiculously over-priced, but seriously lovely - and positively the last Kindle model I will ever buy) and I jail broke (breaked?) it a year ago. Then yesterday I was loading up a few books via calibre and idly wondered if there was a firmware update from Amazon. I was on v5.8.2. So I updated to 5.8.10. And then KUAL, librarian sync etc didn’t work. No matter, I remembered I had to reinstall them after a firmware update. But even after a reinstall they didn’t seem to work properly. In hindsight that was me being crap, and not a fault of the installation.

So I thought, I know, I’ll just reset the Kindle, and reapply the jb even if I have to downgrade to 5.7.4 and start again. Big mistake, as I soon realised after the Kindle refused to downgrade and I did a quick Google search… So there I was, a Kindle working as Amazon expects and 2000 odd books in Calibre with no way to stick them in collections on my Kindle. I was cursing myself.

But after doing some extensive Googleing I came across this thread, and thought, this looks like it was written for me… And I haven’t done a second reset, so I’ll give it a try…

I tried Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin first, but no joy. Then I thought I may as well try Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin, and YES! It worked. The jb reapplied itself. KUAL etc re-installed and I can now use calibre to administer my collections again.

So, thanks again, chaps. You’re both complete stars.

Cheers

-bill-
bill_lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Thank you.

That is the only way we have to know if we built something useful, when people tell us so.
(Although this thread is all Coplate's doing.)

Both packages should have worked.
Look up the "Device Info" panel in the "Settings" menu and give us the first six characters of the serial number and the firmware build ID (number in parans) please.
It would help to know what model got missed on that one package or if it was excluded on purpose.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2017, 03:34 AM   #33
bill_lemons
bill_lemons began at the beginning.

Device: KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thank you.

Both packages should have worked.
Look up the "Device Info" panel in the "Settings" menu and give us the first six characters of the serial number and the firmware build ID (number in parans) please.
It would help to know what model got missed on that one package or if it was excluded on purpose.
The first 6 chars of the serial number are G0B0GC

The firmware is 5.8.10 (3202110019)

Regarding the hotfixes. When I tried loading up the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin the Update Your Kindle option flashed black and then greyed out, as occurs to other bin files that the Kindle doesn't recognise.

Cheers
bill_lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #34
Lepricon
Nameless Being

After reset I'm trying to install Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin.

And file just disappear from kindle. And the button install Update Your Kindle is greyed out. No chance to install it. Anything I did wrong?
Tried to install Kual and it says "The item failed to close propertly. Device will restart in 5 seconds".

I did reset before and everything was ok. When I did it before, Update Your Kindle was not greyed out. And Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin installed no problem previous times. What can be wrong this time?

Last edited by Lepricon; 09-09-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:19 AM   #35
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepricon View Post
After reset I'm trying to install Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin.

And file just disappear from kindle. No chance to install it. Anything I did wrong? Previous resets was all ok.
Did you do a factory reset?
What firmware?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #36
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Did you do a factory reset?
What firmware?
My steps was.

1. I received kindle with 5.6.5
2. Downgraded it to factory.
3. Installed JB and hotfix. Updated to 5.8.10
5. Installed KUAL etc.
6. Did reset(pushed Reset Device button) after a week or so.
7. Installed Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin with no problem
8. Installed KUAL etc.
9. Did reset(pushed Reset Device button) after a while. Maybe 2 weeks.
10. Tried to install Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin again, Update Your Kindle is greyed out.

My firmware now is 5.8.10(3202090019)
My first six characters of the serial number are B05409

Last edited by Lepricon; 09-09-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:59 AM   #37
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Ok I fixed it after reading this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=12

I copied hotfix to kindle. Then without ejecting it did restart. And after restart Update Your Kindle was not greyed out and I successfully installed the hotfix.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #38
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok I fixed it after reading this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=12

I copied hotfix to kindle. Then without ejecting it did restart. And after restart Update Your Kindle was not greyed out and I successfully installed the hotfix.
Why are you pressing "Reset"?
What is it that you are trying to achieve?

A Kindle can run for years without requiring a reset.
If you have found a reason for using reset, and using it as frequently as you have been against all directions against such action, we need to know what it is.

Is there any special reason why, when the package you where using stopped working, you did not use the other one?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
Is there something confusing about the first post?

Why did you try to use a procedure specific to the PW2 on your Kindle Voyage?
Please share your reasoning on that, perhaps it is something we overlooked.

Last edited by knc1; 09-09-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #39
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Quote:
Why are you pressing "Reset"?
What is it that you are trying to achieve?

A Kindle can run for years without requiring a reset.
If you have found a reason for using reset, and using it as frequently as you have been against all directions against such action, we need to know what it is.

Is there any special reason why, when the package you where using stopped working, you did not use the other one?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
Is there something confusing about the first post?

Why did you try to use a procedure specific to the PW2 on your Kindle Voyage?
Please share your reasoning on that, perhaps it is something we overlooked.

First time I did reset because frontlight master extension glitch.

Second time I did it because I had fast battery drain.

I tried Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin after trying 5.8.10 hotfix. Same greyed out button.

And I did that procedure because no other options worked.

Last edited by Lepricon; 09-09-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #40
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I tried Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin after trying 5.8.10 hotfix. Same greyed out button.

Did you try a restart first?
On the faster battery drain, had you added many new books?
Oh and usually after redoing anything the battery drains faster the first time because it is doing more things.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #41
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

hmm....

What are you actually doing that you are calling a "reset" ?
I think something may be getting lost in the translation.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #42
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Would you be willing to do this test?

1. go into airplane mode on kindle ( makes the logs less cluttered )
1: plug into USB
2: put 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin' onto kindle.
3: eject kindle
4: wait a couple moments
5. from the home screen search for ';dm' ( this is the 'dump messages' command )
6. plug kindle back into usb.
7. look where you put the update, to see if it has been renamed to "update_<number>_<letters>.bin" , or if has been deleted.

If it has been deleted, which it sounds like, you can also ge the all_system_messages file that was created from step 4, and search in it for the 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_5.8.10_install.bin' filename.

That should tell us why it is being deleted on your device
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #43
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Quote:
hmm....

What are you actually doing that you are calling a "reset" ?
I think something may be getting lost in the translation.

Maybe.

Reset = the button "Reset Device" in the options.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #44
Lepricon
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Did you try a restart first?
On the faster battery drain, had you added many new books?
Oh and usually after redoing anything the battery drains faster the first time because it is doing more things.

Nope. No books was added. But I installed some extensions. Don't know what extension cause it. My battery began to drain like hell. I deleted all extensions, but drain not stopped. Some of the extensions was installed thru MR Installer. And I thought that it could help if I will do reset.
I tried to restart many times. With no effect.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Nope. No books was added. But I installed some extensions. Don't know what extension cause it. My battery began to drain like hell. I deleted all extensions, but drain not stopped. Some of the extensions was installed thru MR Installer. And I thought that it could help if I will do reset.
I tried to restart many times. With no effect.
Be careful resetting the device. You can lose the jailbreak doing that. You are fortunate that you didn't lose it completely.
Note there is no jailbreak for the newest firmwares.