Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
remlover
remlover began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for Cheap E-ink w/ Page turning button

I've tried using the new kindle's with the screen turning pages. I miss having a push button to turn a page like the Kindle 2.

-Format doesn't matter. I can convert my library to whatever format the ereader is.

-I don't mind a used one

-I'd like to stay in the $75 or less category.

-ereader w/ light would be a bonus but not a must.
remlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by remlover View Post
I've tried using the new kindle's with the screen turning pages. I miss having a push button to turn a page like the Kindle 2.

-Format doesn't matter. I can convert my library to whatever format the ereader is.

-I don't mind a used one

-I'd like to stay in the $75 or less category.

-ereader w/ light would be a bonus but not a must.
I think the only eReader with a light (and buttons) you're going to find in this price range is the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight. If you go that route, make sure you buy one with a good (no scratches) screen – the light "film" supposedly easily scratched on these. I have one and never had any problems, but I may just be lucky. You can find them on eBay and maybe on Amazon or in pawn shops (were I got mine), but be sure to closely check the descriptions or ask the seller (on eBay) to guarantee no scratches.

Without a front light, the most common choices would be the Kindle Keyboard (aka Kindle 3) or the Kindle 4/5 (no touch). You can also find Nook Simple Touches (without the glowlight) in this price range. (You should be able to find these on eBay, Amazon or at pawn shops). Be aware that these are getting on in years, and you might have to replace the battery at some point (which can be done). The same goes for the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight above and Sony PRS-T1-T2 below.

At $100, on Black Friday on sale, the new Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight will be available. By all reports, it has a very nice screen and page-turn keys. Be aware, however, that it only allows 1 GB of sideloaded books at a time. Depending on how many books you want to carry with you, this could be an issue.

Currently Amazon has refurbished Kindle Voyages on sale for $120. This is a nice, high-end, eReader but it won't have the "night mode" lighting you'll find in the Nook GlowLight 3. It also won't have the 1 GB side-load limit. The page turn buttons are not physical keys, rather they're sensors that use "haptic feedback." Some people like them, some don't. I've never personally experienced them.

You might be able to find Sony PRS-T1, T2 and T3 Readers in this price range, but they're getting rarer and more expensive. The keys on these Readers are on the bottom and not as convenient (in my opinion) as the turn-page keys in the side bezels.

Good luck.

And one more thing ... whenever buying a used eReader at a pawn shop (or anywhere) be sure that it is not "blacklisted." When I was trying to find an eReader for each of my kids, I usually registered them with my account when in the pawn shop, just to be sure.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-19-2017 at 09:08 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:35 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Maybe a Glowlight 3? I read they are having a Black Friday sale on the Glowlight three for $99, and another for $10 when you buy a $50 gift card.

Buy two gift cards, and than the Glowlight 3 will cost $80? Be sure to read the fine print, as I may be wrong.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
If you're in the US, check out shopgoodwill.com

They have tons of used ereaders up for auction for cheap. Read the descriptions carefully so you know what you're getting. Most of my ereader collection has come from there and I've paid $20 or less for most of them.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like the OP does a a lot of side loading. The nook Glowlight 3 has only 1GB for side loaded eBooks. That's not good for someone who side loads. So that makes the nG3 not a good fit for the OP.

The issue here is buttons and I can't think of a good Reader that's cheap, has a front light, and page turn buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
remlover
remlover began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the advice. The NG3 looks like a really solid ereader. I definitely do a lot of sideloading but I can't imagine I need 1gb of storage. I can always delete and replace.

Also, having a light is not a necessity by any means. I wish the pocketbook's were a little cheaper because i love the look of that reader.

Thank you for the shopgoodwill advice.
remlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The nG3 is a terrible Reader. Most of the storage you get is wasted.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The nG3 is a terrible Reader. Most of the storage you get is wasted.
That depends Jon. You just have to launch two different ways.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
That depends Jon. You just have to launch two different ways.
But you have to use two different apps. No good if all you want is the nook's RMSDK.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
If you're in the US, check out shopgoodwill.com

They have tons of used ereaders up for auction for cheap. Read the descriptions carefully so you know what you're getting. Most of my ereader collection has come from there and I've paid $20 or less for most of them.
Thanks. Now I've got another source to feed my sickness.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:26 AM   #11
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I am now waiting the arrival of a NOS Kindle 5, bought on ebay for $30 + shipping. No light but with a e-ink Pearl high contrast screen and very light weight. Lightest weight Kindle until the Generation 8 Oasis 1 (W/O cover) and the new Kindle basic generation 8 units. I like the side switches for paginf and the bottom switches. The on screen keyboard control w/o touch screen is the biggest operating PITA but I seldom use it.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:42 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I am now waiting the arrival of a NOS Kindle 5, bought on ebay for $30 + shipping. No light but with a e-ink Pearl high contrast screen and very light weight. Lightest weight Kindle until the Generation 8 Oasis 1 (W/O cover) and the new Kindle basic generation 8 units. I like the side switches for paginf and the bottom switches. The on screen keyboard control w/o touch screen is the biggest operating PITA but I seldom use it.
That was a very nice reader. I still have mine and it was my favorite for a long time. Haven't used it since I got the Voyage in 2016, though. Just can't get used to a low-res screen anymore.

But I keep it charged, just in case. Many fond memories.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote